By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How to sell game on Wii? A good name like Game Party - 800,000 units Sold!

How to sell game on Wii? Well,a good name like Game Party - 800,000 units Sold!

Well, Midway got the name and its better than Carnival Games, and it will probably sell better than Carnival Games!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/05/notes-from-midways-q1-earnings-conference-call/

Now, does the review score matter? Lets's look at it!

181 Golden Compass, The 2007 35
182 Showtime Championship Boxing 2007 35
183 Chicken Shoot 2007 27
184 Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal 2007 27
185 Jenga: World Tour 2007 26
186 Game Party 2007 25
187 Cruis'n 2007 25
188 Ninjabread Man 2007 20
189 Anubis II 2007 19
190 Balls of Fury 2007 19

Wow....is under bottom 10 of Wii's score according Metacritics.

Now, Look at what review did the reviewer say.

Cheat Code Central
So, the conclusion is this: you got a free game with your Wii when you bought it right? Just play that.
IGN
The wave of Wii shovelware has officially begun.
GameZone
While the game has “style,” it is pretty much broken.
The Onion (A.V. Club)
Remember all those stories about people having so much fun playing Wii Sports that they accidentally threw their remote through their TV screen? Game Party inspires the old-fashioned kind of controller-chucking.
Games Radar
With an eye toward putting on some beer goggles to make the game better, we turned to the bottle. Ping Cup has the potential to be a decent drinking game but, again, the controls were mixed.
PTGamers
Game Party is undeserving of the Wii. The games on display are awful, but the execution manages to be even worse. There is absolutely no fun to be had here, just frustration in large doses.
AceGamez
Game Party is one of those games that you will try your best to forget ever existed if you're unfortunate (or indeed stupid) enough to actually play it. All of the elements, from the god-awful controls to the disgusting character design, add up to create a game that no one should experience.
EuroGamer
The Game Party experience is like going to a party where there's nothing to drink but Tesco Value brandy and there are only four other guests and they're all racist and then your ex turns up and gets off with a Danish supermodel. Would you pay GBP 19.99 to go to that party?

Maybe they are not accurate enough, let's look at what the public said about this game.

17 Reviews
5 star: (2)
4 star: (6)
3 star:   (0)
2 star: (1)
1 star: (8)

Average Customer Review

Share your thoughts with other customers:
Most Helpful Customer Reviews

5 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
Play with friends only.., 3 Mar 2008
By Jastan (Rochester) - See all my reviews
Fun:
A poor game that only just scrapes 2 stars if played with friends. I wouldn't bother if playing alone.

The games :

Darts - Controls takes some getting use to, but with some perseverance can be mastered. I would suggest trying high score firstly just to get used to controls before going onto other variations (301, 501, cricket)

Air Hockey - Very fiddly controls make it almost impossible to beat the CPU player, again best played against a friend, even then the amount of silly own goals conceded can become frustrating..

Hoops - Basketball shoot with fiddly control system (done better on Party Carnival), basically the more hoops you shoot, the more tickets you win.

Skii Ball - Roll the ball to try and hit the highest scores (Again control system and feel of game is better on Party Carnival).

Ping Cup - Bit of a weird one. The idea is to through a ping pong ball into one of 10 of your opponants cups?! At first was virtually impossible (after trying to follow on screen instructions), eventually with trial and error I can now hit a few cups, but have yet to complete a game (I normally quit out after about 1/2 hour).

Shuffleboard - A bit like curling on a table. Probably the best game here (again played with a friend as CPU player will beat you). The controls are fairly easy to master after a few minutes and can be quite fun.

Trivia - Oh dear... All questions have strong American slant (unless you are really into US sports and TV then avoid), plus scoring system not well documented in instructions.. Poor. Obviously the developers couldn't be bothered to change the questions for the UK release!

Borrow it if you must and try challenging a friend to Shuffleboard or Darts. Other than that avoid..
Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this) (Report this)

7 of 9 people found the following review helpful:
Calm Down Dear - it's only a game !, 23 Mar 2008
Fun:
This is just a little bit of fun on a rainy afternoon, it's not for serious sports fans. The other reviews slate this beyond belief, giving it less than an hours play. It's light and easy enough for Granny to play, but enough fun for the kids to give it some welly !

The main thing is the all the games are set in calm atmostphere, so if like me you cringe at the constant squeals and irritating soundtrack of Super Mario Charged Football this sequence of team and individual sports has a soothing easy going feel to it.

You earn tickets to unlock new games - however you only earn tickets in single player mode and this really is a family or group sort of thing.

We started with darts, loads of options from 301 through to 701 or cricket style challenge. Easy enough to master the throwing motion. Unlockable game is baseball darts - we've not got there yet.

Hoop Shoot - quite easy to master and a good 10 minute challenge.

Ping Cup, the only infuriating game, throw the ping pong into one of the cups, hmmm we just couldn't get this right.

Shuffleboard, we spent hours on this and it was highly addictive, curling is unlockable.

Skill ball, it's okay feels a bit like bowling on wii sports, once you master it it's simple fun.

Table Hockey - love this simple object of the game, made a little but harder with the slipperyness of the surface.

Only thing we haven't played is trivia, didn't have time after 2 hours.

For under £20 it's a good afternoons entertainment, not recommended for hardcore gamers.

Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this) (Report this)

9 of 12 people found the following review helpful:
Have a little patience, 16 Feb 2008
Fun:
I purchased this item regardless of the bad reviews. I also read reviews on amazon.com which weren't so negative.

I have to say that it isn't that bad once you learn to master the controls. Some describe the wii controllers as unresponsive but I found with perseverance you begin to improve rapidly.

It is good value for money, good variety. I enjoyed all games, but found the table hockey a challenge as it is harder to associate yourself with the game.

Compared to Wii Playground (which I purchased yesterday) it is a big improvement.

Most Recent Customer Reviews

stick with wii sports
this game is rubbish. it is very hard to control, the quiz is about a lot of american sports, most of the games are boring and you have no real control over what you are doing... Read more
Published 5 days ago by dmc

Please don't make me play this again..
Quite simply one of the worst collection of games I have ever had the misfortune to play, Darts with a flawed control system, throwing ping-pong balls down a table into cups,... Read more
Published 12 days ago by Mr. John R. D. Morrey

Stop moaning!
Ok so I've just bought a Wii, and got this game as I was looking for something to break the family in gently. Read more
Published 22 days ago by Mark Regan

FAB GAME!
VERY COMPETITIVE GAME,ALL THE FAMILY OF 8 ENJOYED THIS GAME,MAKES YOU WANT TO PLAY CONSTANTLY UNTIL YOU IMPROVE YOUR HAND CO-ORDINATION,IT IS WORTH YOUR WELL EARNED MONEY.
Published 25 days ago by Mr. B. Queen

Great game for parties
We thought it was a decent game, had us playing for hours, and will definitely play again soon. Not one for 1 player I think, and the american questions pop up on the quiz game,... Read more
Published 26 days ago by J. Davies

DON'T BOTHER!
This game is chad!
My kids, (4 & 8 years) played it once & that was about it.
I bought it bundled with 'Carnival - Fun Fair Games' on a special.... Read more
Published 1 month ago by IBAMAC

What is the value of a game you play once or twice?
Game Party is below par, far below par.

The game is simplistic and the only plus is that a few of these mini games are quite fun playing with 2 - 4 players... Read more
Published 2 months ago by M. A. Lely

Good game for the price
For under £15 this game is slightly addictive. The first couple of times i played on it i thought it was rubbish but the more i played it the more i liked it. Read more
Published 2 months ago by Mr. Stuart Hawkin

Waste of money
I too made the unfortunate choice of purchasing this game. The graphics and games are poor with little to no enjoyment factor. I couldn't believe how limited the 7 games were. Read more
Published 2 months ago by L. Jay

Not As Bad A Game As Some People Make Out!!
This game has been slated a bit unfairly in my opinion. First of all I found the darts much easier to play on this game than in PDC World Dart Championships 2008 which I bought... Read more
Published 2 months ago by Justin

What is the moral of the story?

If you want your game to sell on Wii and doesn't care about the review, make the name Nice & Simple and must be related to party games, maybe somebody should make a game called Party Games later, not Game Party, it will probably the best 3rd "Party" selling title on Wii. Not Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure...& WTF is that, I have not idea, probably not party game, so... a not buy~

p/s: Not Ninja Breadman either(sacrasm), Consipirasy should learn from them!

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

Around the Network

And the funny thing is, Midway is still reporting losses.

They're hopeless.

Even better make a game called Carnival Party Games and that will boost the sales even more.

^Guy pissing on Microsoft Sign

UBISOFT BOYCOTT

The sad thing is... this and Cruis'N almost pulled in as much revenue for Midway then UT3 and Blacksite: Area 51... with almost undoubtly a much lower development cost then Blacksite.

Guess it shows... if you can't make good games... it's better off to not even try. 

Around the Network

Well at least we know 3rd party games are starting to sell.

Apparently at some Midway event they stated that this game sold over a million. Obviously they didn't mean sold to customers but still that's disturbing....

It's really interesting how polarized those Amazon customer reviews are. Almost as many 4-5 stars as 1-2 stars, and no 3 stars at all.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Kasz216 said:

The sad thing is... this and Cruis'N almost pulled in as much revenue for Midway then UT3 and Blacksite: Area 51... with almost undoubtly a much lower development cost then Blacksite.

Guess it shows... if you can't make good games... it's better off to not even try. 

Really? UT3 pushes over 400k just on PS3 and Im sure at $60 a pop that Midway gets at least 40-50% of those retail sales, which would be 12-13 million.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Everyone is overlooking the MAJOR FACTOR in these sales, and that is...

TV ADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell, just the other Saturday morning I saw a Carnival Games commercial.

From what I hear, Game Party got a lot of advertisement in Europe, especially the UK.
That is why it is always in the top 10, ALL FORMATS(I think).

outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:

Really? UT3 pushes over 400k just on PS3 and Im sure at $60 a pop that Midway gets at least 40-50% of those retail sales, which would be 12-13 million.

I was refering to this...

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=25822&start=0

It was comparing Europeon revenues, guess i shoulda been more clear.