By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii isnt competing with next gen consoles, its competing with last gen

All I'll say is that the market defines what it wants for the most part - 'next gen' is just marketing and hey we have three new consoles, nothing more.

The only difference I see between Wii and 360/PS3 is that of HD graphics potential.

There's no reason the Wii couldn't have the same types of games the 360/PS3 has (designed for its spec of course) while in principle there's nothing to stop you sticking motion sensing, etc. on 360/PS3 (actually Sony already tried this in a quick and dirty way called the SIXAXIS).

Right now I'll accept that for some demographics there is no direct competition - I doubt all those COD4 and GTA IV owners spent too long looking at Wii and/or 360/PS3 and stroking their chin trying to decide, equally I'm sure some Wii owners never considered anything else.

But what we can see is clear, more people want what the Wii offers. If you combine 360/PS3 sales quite a large percentage of gamers clearly want HD graphics instead.

They are all however 'this gen' of consoles as in they are the latest console on sale from each vendor.

Wow - can't believe I bothered posting this. This thread has no point - it's like saying that this years Samsung TV is somehow competiting with last years Panasonic TV but not this years Panasonic TV.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

I would say there is both a case to make that the wii is competing with the ps2 as there is that the wii is competing with x360/ps3.

One point that can be made though is that everyone talks about how the ps2 doesnt compete with the next gen consoles so its sales should be ignored (its sales are not even on the front page of vgchartz), but the same arguments used to say the wii is competing with ps3 can be made to say the ps2 is also competing with ps3/x360.

Regardless of the argument though the amount of consoles sold and the amount of software sold on each console is what matters most to a consoles success as these 2 factors are usualy what makes a 3rd party developper that is out for money decide which console to make their games on.

Using this argument i will make the point that ps2, ps3, x360, wii, ds and psp are all competing against each other.

In the end all consoles are just part of the same video game market while some consoles expand the market like wii doing so for casuals. Some games equaly can expand the gamming market such as other non traditional games like guitar hero.

Each of the current consoles (both handheld and home console) takes some money spent on games from the rest.

While we're discussing this legitimate matter I would also like to pose the equally relevant and timely observation that the "WII IS A FAD AND PEOPLE WILL STOP BUYING IT WHEN IT SELLS AS MUCH AS THE GAMECUBE DID".

I would also like to point out that "ONCE THE DROUGHT OF GAMES FOR THE PS3 ENDS WITH THE RELEASE OF LAIR THAT THE PS3 WILL BECOME THE DOMINANT CONSOLE ON THE MARKET!"

Well, market dictates the trends, and by all indicators Wii is more "next-gen" than anything on the market.

There is the time when tech goes too far, so any futher advances just become redundant. For example, 1080p HDTVs are on the border of bein used to their full potential, because the resolution almost exceeds the abilitiy of human eyes. So, any further increase in resolution would just be pointless. I think same can be said for consoles. Maybe the advance in graphics complexity is just being of minor importnace to most of the mainstream users, and they give more attention to improvements in other fields.

So do you mean that the Wii is as same gen as the 360 and the PS3? I never feel it when playing with my Wii... its more like PS2 to me, especially with the PS2/PSP ports. Yeah, there are exclusives but the graphics in SSBB can be done in PS2 infact, there is a game in PS2 that already did that God of War.

And yeah, Nintendo can make Wii have HD graphics with wiimote controller but theyre not. Why? Because Nintendo knows there is one console they want to compete and thats the PS2. They want to take its userbase

And Wii competing with PS3 and 360 arguement, since when Wii is competing with these 2 consoles. The userbase of these 2 consoles was WAY DIFFERENT on userbase of PS2 and the Wii. Why? Because most of the userbase of PS2 itself right now are just ordinary people and not hardcore gamers unlike in userbase of 360 and the PS3. If 360 and PS3 died in this generation, it died along with the usebase with it, thats how different these userbase are...

Well you can say this topic is stupid or something, but in my opinion the Wii is competing with the last gen, the PS2, while PS3 and 360 competing differently from the Wii.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

There's so much stupidity in the OP, really I had to say it.
The most obvious is who is competing with who.
The OP HIMSELF says that the PS3/XB360 multiplatform games are ported (downgraded) to the PS2. Which means that people that have a PS2 and don't want to buy a PS3/XB360 can do just that : buy the PS2 port. Which is just another way to say that the PS3/XB360 are competing with the PS2, which is last gen. So actually, the HD consoles are competing with last gen PS2 too.

And yes, the Wii is competing with PS3 and XB360 for the simple fact that they take shelf space from these two, right now. The OP seems to have s very strong cognitive dissonance, so he may not see the shelves (or lose quickly memory of them), or only order by Internet to not see them.

"So how will you beat a console that is still selling over 5 years in its lifespan?"

That's a question for Nintendo and the answer is simple : by selling faster and for as long or longer. Wii is a monster that is destroying evey gen.
Hell, the paradigm shift has started, and if the disruption succeeds, that's every every generation since the NES that Nintendo is competing against. And for now, they're winning.

yushire said:
So do you mean that the Wii is as same gen as the 360 and the PS3? I never feel it when playing with my Wii... its more like PS2 to me, especially with the PS2/PSP ports. Yeah, there are exclusives but the graphics in SSBB can be done in PS2 infact, there is a game in PS2 that already did that God of War.

And yeah, Nintendo can make Wii have HD graphics with wiimote controller but theyre not. Why? Because Nintendo knows there is one console they want to compete and thats the PS2. They want to take its userbase

And Wii competing with PS3 and 360 arguement, since when Wii is competing with these 2 consoles. The userbase of these 2 consoles was WAY DIFFERENT on userbase of PS2 and the Wii. Why? Because most of the userbase of PS2 itself right now are just ordinary people and not hardcore gamers unlike in userbase of 360 and the PS3. If 360 and PS3 died in this generation, it died along with the usebase with it, thats how different these userbase are...

Well you can say this topic is stupid or something, but in my opinion the Wii is competing with the last gen, the PS2, while PS3 and 360 competing differently from the Wii.

Come on, the denial stage is boring - I was enjoying anger.

To be honest, I can't help but feel that the PS3 and 360 aren't the same generation as the Wii, they are a generation behind. Their control schemes feel so dated compared to the freedom of the motion controls, their controls are more like the PS2 to me. Yeah there are some games with motion control on the PS3 but lets face it, nothing that couldn't easily be done without motion control.

And yeah, Sony and MS can make a console with real motion controls but they're not. Why? Because they want the old gamer market, the ones that grew up with a controller in their hands, the hardcore. And because they completely missed the ball on this one.

Well you can say this topic is stupid or something, but in my opinion the HD consoles are just the same as last gen, the PS2, while the Wii is the only true 'this gen' console.

libellule said:
yes, PS2 and Wii are competing each other ...

BUT

Wii is not last gen,
it is maybe more next gen than PS360 according to the amazing sales ...

Yes maybe. But maybe the average video game consumer is still stuck in last gen, and still not ready to make the "leap"

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

ultraslick said:
libellule said:
yes, PS2 and Wii are competing each other ...

BUT

Wii is not last gen,
it is maybe more next gen than PS360 according to the amazing sales ...

Yes maybe. But maybe the average video game consumer is still stuck in last gen, and still not ready to make the "leap"

Or maybe the leap is into the motion controls not the power?  o.O

Actually, Im making excuses on this thread to worth the purchase of my Wii right now. By making it competing with PS2 maybe theres a reason why some exclusive HD games such as "too many" to mention yeah, even 50 cent videogame are only exclusive to HD consoles. But it seemed you're all counter-argue with me. WHATS WITH ALL THESE PORTS CANT TAKE ANYMORE OF IT!

Seriously, I cant wait for E3, if Nintendo shows no AAA 3rd party games in E3 might aswell the Wii collects dust. Why would you purchase a console if most of those games are direct ports with waggle attach to it?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg