By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DFC: PC biggest gaming platform in 2007

according to DFC intelligence:

http://www.dfcint.com/wp/?p=206

- there are 260 millions PC gamers in the world

- PC gaming has been the biggest in terms of revenues in 2007, with around 30% of the global interactive software revenues

- they predicted an 80% growth by 2012

pretty much different from what is commonly believed in gaming forums, uh?

I wonder why PC gaming has such bad press. I'm a long itme gamer, and it's at least 15 years that I heard and read everywhere "PC gaming is dead / dying".

Well, after 15 years of course I don't believe it anymore. Honestly, I think the majors have an interest to make people believe PC market is dying.

Why? Well, PC is an open platform. They have much less control on it. Everyone can make his own digital delivery platform (like Valve) and become the most successful one, and majors can only play along.

With consoles is different: PSN and Xbox Live are totally under control of their respective owners, they can decide what content sell and how. For example MS don't allows additional content for Team Fortress 2 to be distributed freely on Xbox Live, and Valve can't do anything about it.

I think it's no news for everyone here that majors like closed platforms much more than open platforms :)