By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What happened to the X360 price drop in NA?

Perhaps the underwhelming reception for the European price reduction caused them to reconsider.

Around the Network

^ Didn't it boost sales 50% or something? Thats pretty on target.

BengaBenga said:

EDIT: The weak dollar has no impact whatsoever on an American company selling products in America. Maybe a little if inflation rises. It is true that it is of course easier for Microsoft to lower the European prices and still earn the same amount of dollars.

The origin of the company is not as important as the origin of the parts and labour/services required to build their product.  If the parts and labour are from China, then the weak US doillar will affect American companies.

I don't know how much of 360 production is from outside the US and how their respective currencies fgare to the US dollar though...

MS's point of view - We're selling more consoles at this time of year compared to last year, no need for price cut

Our point of view - MS is being outsold in every region, maybe they should do something about it..

Anyone else think MS's strategies are very short sighted? It seems they don't have a strategy or long term goals, they don't care if they fall in last place as long as they make a couple bucks...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

You guys act like they have decided not to lower the price. It will happen when the time is right for Microsoft. I to thought it would go hand in hang with GTA but perhaps we are looking at a fall price drop?

Around the Network

Hopefully a price drop will come this fall with a hardware redesign. A RROD-less, smaller, quieter, cooler redesign would help as much a price drop.

gebx said:
MS's point of view - We're selling more consoles at this time of year compared to last year, no need for price cut

Our point of view - MS is being outsold in every region, maybe they should do something about it..

Anyone else think MS's strategies are very short sighted? It seems they don't have a strategy or long term goals, they don't care if they fall in last place as long as they make a couple bucks...

You really shouldn't blame Microsoft for doing this.

Nintendo is criminal #1 when it comes to this. They could care less for being a industry leader in anthing other than sales $$$...Wii has fallen behind technologically, exclusives wise...would it hurt nintendo if they spent some of those billions to pay Ubisoft to make an exclusive game for them? But this would cut in to their profits...not good...

Sony seems to be the only one that still offers the best technology they could create at the best price they could give it consumers...however, they are bundling way too much stuff non-related to gaming which keeps the price higher than it should be. I don't wan't a bluray...just give me the cell processor and the controller :)

So who is the industry leader? Argument can be made for all 3 companies...

If MS cuts the price, Sony will follow. Both lose more money with the same result.

Like someone pointed out 89 Million $ of profit doesn't leave room for a lot of price cut :P

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

As far as MS' business goals are right now, it may be more important to maintain profitability than it would be to compete on sales numbers with Sony. Perhaps MS doesn't care if Sony outsells them for a few more months, as long as the race is close, which it inevitably will be for a long time.

If MS cuts the price, Sony will follow. Both lose more money with the same result.

Perhaps.  I think Sony is pretty happy with sales right now and they're probably not particularly interested in hurting their bottom line with another expensive price cut.