By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 division quarterly revs surge 68 percent

After having the next-gen console race to itself for a year, the Xbox 360 has been in a three-way battle since the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. After being roundly outsold by the Wii for most of last year--save for September, when Halo 3 debuted--the console found its sales bested by the PlayStation 3 in January and February. In March, the 360 triumphed over Sony's console by a mere 5,000 units.

However, despite the competition, the Xbox 360 is helping Microsoft turn a profit the size of many country's entire economies. According to an earnings report filed today, the software giant's Entertainment and Devices Division--which includes income from the Xbox 360, Games for Windows, and Zune multimedia handheld--saw its quarterly revenue surge 68 percent.

For the three months ended March 31, the division saw $1.57 billion in revenue, up from $936 million the prior year. However, operating income for the period was just $89 million--an improvement over the $324 million loss the company took the year before, as outcry over widespread 360 hardware failures was reaching a fever pitch.

In a statement, Microsoft called out the division as being one of the crown jewels of its multibillion-dollar empire. "The Entertainment and Devices revenue for the quarter grew 68 percent over the comparable period last year driven by robust demand for Xbox 360 consoles," the company said. "Cumulative console sales surpassed 19 million during the quarter, up 74 percent from a year ago." For the nine months ending March 31, the department took in $6.57 billion, a year-on-year increase of $1.65 billion.

Overall, Microsoft beat analyst expectations, despite a sizable drop in profits. The January-March period saw it earn $4.39 billion on $14.5 billion in revenue, down 11 percent from the same period in 2007. Earnings were hurt by a $1.42 billion fine levied on the company by the European Union and helped by an 18 percent rise in server and tools division revenue.

For the current April-June quarter, Microsoft estimates it will have operating income of $5.8 billion to $6.2 billion on revenues of $15.5 billion to $15.8 billion. For the financial year ending June 30, 2008, the company expects operating income of $26.7 billion to $27.4 billion on $66.9 billion to $68.0 billion in revenue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From gamespot, don't blame me if the article sucks.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

revenue=yawn

But still, at least they are making a profit.

That means another xbox.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

IT most certainly does.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Insane increase in revenue (68% year over year... how's that even possible if the console sold 20% more YOY at a lower price?).

But practically no profit.

Conclusion: despite the comparatively high price of X360 - only one small price drop in 2.5 years is never heard of (xcept the marvelous Wii of course) - MS can only profit from it during the Holiday quarter.

Perhaps I should add; no wonder MS aren't able to drop the price in NA.

Around the Network

The profit includes zune and pc games which means that the 360 was probably about even, which is a lot better than loosing money.

^Guy pissing on Microsoft Sign

UBISOFT BOYCOTT