By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 37, 2024 (Sep 09 - Sep 15)

haxxiy said:

Well, it's all a game of revenue. They might have gone from a $50 loss to a $40 profit per unit, so that's a $1.65 million net swing for the better even assuming the baseline went from 25,000 to 10,000.

Of course, long-term damage to the brand and all.

Wasn't it reported back in August of 2021 that PS5 was no longer selling at a loss?

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:

Wasn't it reported back in August of 2021 that PS5 was no longer selling at a loss?

Yes, but the yen devalued massively since then (~ 35%).

haxxiy said:
DroidKnight said:

Yes, but the yen devalued massively since then (~ 35%).

I'm probably wrong, but I thought they purchased all parts through longterm contract bids that locked in set pricing years ago.  

Edit: I didn't think they paid one price for a chip one month and then another price for the same chip a different month. Or for any of the parts.  And with the price increases everywhere else it should offset any loss that may have occurred in Japan.  I think averaged out, they are likely still ahead.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 19 September 2024

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:

I'm probably wrong, but I thought they purchased all parts through longterm contract bids that locked in set pricing years ago.  

Edit: I didn't think they paid one price for a chip one month and then another price for the same chip a different month. Or for any of the parts.  

International contracts are signed in US dollars and the Japanese end consumers aren't paying them in dollars. That's the problem here.

haxxiy said:
DroidKnight said:

Edit: I didn't think they paid one price for a chip one month and then another price for the same chip a different month. Or for any of the parts.  

International contracts are signed in US dollars and the Japanese end consumers aren't paying them in dollars. That's the problem here.

Sorry, I edited a little more.  I believe price increases everywhere else may have leveraged those potential losses and still averaged net gains.

Around the Network

Less than 10% of Switches sold this week were the base model, and less than 20% of PS5s were the digital edition.
Astro Bot at least showing a good hold percentage wise.

Astro's hold (and the game running out of stock at multiple retailers) points to a strong week 1 digital ratio, so likely a bigger drop than 30% with digital factored in. Don't hold your breath for decent legs.

RIP PS5, Japan hardly knew ye.

Kyuu said:

Astro's hold (and the game running out of stock at multiple retailers) points to a strong week 1 digital ratio, so likely a bigger drop than 30% with digital factored in. Don't hold your breath for decent legs.

@PS5

This is just a correction for the years that were abnormally high due to the currency. Things will now level out. 

Switch was also abnormally high, and should have also had a price increase, but instead stays the same price for an effective price cut.

Kyuu said:

I believe it will still end up at over 9m. It could gradually return to 20k or still sell 1m a year. The people who want a PS5 will eventually get one. They will just wait for the holidays discount. I think Japan are just shocked at the sudden price increase

Astro Bot had a very gentle drop. Looks like it will be hanging out in the top 10 for a little while (assuming that continues). Switch passes 2M YTD!