By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Concord is Sony's biggest failure in gaming history.

firebush03 said:
GymratAmarillo said:

Anyway it doesn't take anything from concord failure but ... Helldivers 2 first million was mostly on ps5 so until we don't see the table of sales of August and September we won't know how much of a failure Concord is.

G2ThaUNiT said:

Console doesn’t seem to be much better of a story. At least in the US the game is doing marginally better on console. Around number 50 in PS Store’s best sellers. Which is not good for a Sony first party game, but better than it’s doing on PC.

That actually was not the case with Helldivers 2. About 70% of Helldivers 2 sales were on PC. If it wasn’t for PC, the game would’ve probably been a modest success at best, but certainly not viral.

It seems GymratAmarillo spread some misinformation, unless he’s got sources? Can’t find any data about the first million copies of HD2, so he might be telling the truth…I’m unsure. In any case, I believe Concord prolly will see more of its sales come from console than PC compared to HD2. As you’ve pointed out, top 50 on PSN is certainly far better than <1,000 concurrent players on Steam.

Circana was the primary source when it came to HD2 sales as we obviously don’t have official platform figures, but the most immediate was Circana reporting that because of PC sales, HD2 became Sony’s 7th best highest selling published game. If it was just PS5, it wouldn’t have even been in the top 20. Then the monthly Circana sales reports of HD2 being the best seller on Steam for something like 3-4 months straight where it fell out of the top 10 on PS5 within that window. The best we have is as far as sales figures is VG Insights and Gamalytic hovering HD2 around 10 million sales on Steam. I doubt that’s exactly accurate though, but consistent evidence that PC makes up the vast majority of HD2 sales.

Around the Network
GaoGaiGarV said:

To be fair Bungie has the potential to become an even bigger failure but this is to be seen in the future.

So now Bungie is a bad dev? lol. Dude they just released the best content in Destiny 2 and one of the best dlc in the Destiny franchise, if we are talking steam numbers Destiny 2 was on its way to break the highest number of concurrent players on steam before the servers started crashing.

Concord is an uninspired ugly ass game, that's why it failed lol. Destiny 2 and Bungie were plagued with terrible decisions made by a rotten administration that doesn't have a job at the company anymore, there is no correlation between them. 

GaoGaiGarV said:

Can't remember a prior situation where Sony bought a whole studio and financed the development for hundreds of millions and also a complete roadmap for half a year after its release altogether while shoehorning it in some TV show in anticipation for them to make the next Overwatch and then it turns out that literally no one wants to play the game and it completely bombs, having even worse concurrent player numbers (as a competitive multiplayer game) on PC than the worst game of 2023 (which is a singleplayer game).

So yeah, this is, to this day, Sonys biggest blunder.

To be fair Bungie has the potential to become an even bigger failure but this is to be seen in the future.

Gonna need receipts on the hundreds of millions development budget. 

The user defined steam tags say a lot, the two highest user defined tags on steam are "politics" and "political sim". The most tagged used to be "LGBTQ+" but it seems the developers have manually removed that user defined tag, which is interesting considering the game does have LGBTQ+ characters. The steam community was trolling the game before it even came out.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 25 August 2024

jvmkdg said:

Perhaps the only positive point of this game is to show Sony that players don't want this crap woke games or gass games.

The game's main competitor, Overwatch, is GAAS and features a bunch of LGBT characters of various ethnicity, and it was never an issue. It's in the Top 30 daily most played game on Steam.
Nor does it seem to be the issue with Concord. I and some others in the comments don't even know what's woke about it.

The trailers failed to make an impression on me, and I never heard anyone express interest in the game after its reveal.
And while Overwatch moved from a paid model to being a free to play game, and other Overwatch competitors such as Marvel Rivals did the same, Concord decided to charge $40.

The game has supposedly been in development for 8 years, which lines up with when Overwatch first launched.
If that is true then this is yet another example of why long dev times are detrimental to the industry.

Last edited by Hiku - on 25 August 2024

Around the Network

More people talking about Concord's failure than playing Concord.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

More people talking about Concord's failure than playing Concord.

Big flops always attract a lot more attention as failures than as games.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

GymratAmarillo said:
GaoGaiGarV said:

So now Bungie is a bad dev? lol. Dude they just released the best content in Destiny 2 and one of the best dlc in the Destiny franchise, if we are talking steam numbers Destiny 2 was on its way to break the highest number of concurrent players on steam before the servers started crashing.

Concord is an uninspired ugly ass game, that's why it failed lol. Destiny 2 and Bungie were plagued with terrible decisions made by a rotten administration that doesn't have a job at the company anymore, there is no correlation between them. 

Agreed that Bungie isn't a bad developer but the rotten administration is still there, it was the developers who suffered layoffs, not the administration team, Sony need to give Pete Parsons and everyone around him the boot and I say this only because I love Bungie, Pete is going to drag the company down with him, Bungie has always had poor leadership held up by incredible developers.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 25 August 2024

Hogwarts, Wukong, stellar blade, first descendant

Vs.

Concord, dustborn, suicide squad

One group rejected the writing consultants despite them trying to "terrify them" and they benefited greatly with their success largely attributed to staying out of the culture war bs. The other decided to go full boar into and we see the result.

I am Iron Man

Numbers 10 times smaller than redfall. Totoki will not be happy at all, we will probably receive the news that the studio will be closed later this year