By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2024 US Presidential Election

I am fairly confident in saying at this point that the debate is pretty much a wash. I doubt many people are deciding based on this debate.

Vance is well spoken and is doing a fairly good job of appearing human. He's trying to bring this back to immigrants at every opportunity, which is dishonest, but at least he's not saying they eat cats. His answer to abortion is awful but you know, his position is unconscionable so it is what it is.

Walz was a bit shaky at the beginning and made a few verbal flubs like saying he was friends with school shooters (sure he meant school shooting victims). He's done a meh job of defending Kamala Harris' records, and pushing against Trump's record. His best answer was on abortion. I think he could make more of the fact that Donald Trump is insane, but oh well. As I type this he's giving a pretty decent rebuke of JD Vance's answer on the ACA.

The Trump Harris debate was essentially a boxer baiting her opponent into throwing haymakers and then counterpunching when he missed. This one is two fighters trying really hard not to leave themselves open to an attack. Who you think won will probably be based on whoever's policies you agreed with coming in.

Around the Network

Goodnight all. Sayonara.

Ooooooh... This answer to Jan 6th is absolutely fucking awful. Let's see if Walz can pounce.

JWeinCom said:

Ooooooh... This answer to Jan 6th is absolutely fucking awful. Let's see if Walz can pounce.

If there is a moment in this debate that matters, this was it. The fact that Vance will not answer whether he thinks the 2020 election was won by Joe Biden, and Trump's insistence it wasn't, should be the end of the campaign for any rational person. Vance trying to pivot to Facebook censorship was incredibly transparent. This is really some 1984 style shit Vance is trying to pull by pretending what Trump did after the 2020 election was just politics as usual. Yes, Hilary Clinton complained about Russian interference. But, she conceded the election on November 9th. She did not suggest that Joe Biden refuse to acknowledge the election results. And Joe Biden did indeed certify the election according to the procedures in place. Democrats grumbled. They did not go through the capital with zip ties and gallows literally calling for the death of Mike Pence. 

I don't think Walz did as well as possible, but he was smart to end with a call to action. Is this going to convince any Trump voters to switch sides? Probably not. But hopefully it will refresh the memory of some sane people and get them out to the polls. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - 3 days ago

Vance kept repeating that word: wisdom. How much wisdom does Trump have? He must have a negative balance of wisdom because has started and created many problems, lied repeatedly, acted as a detestable person repeatedly, etc etc etc.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
JWeinCom said:

If there is a moment in this debate that matters, this was it. The fact that Vance will not answer whether he thinks the 2020 election was won by Joe Biden, and Trump's insistence it wasn't, should be the end of the campaign for any rational person. Vance trying to pivot to Facebook censorship was incredibly transparent. This is really some 1984 style shit Vance is trying to pull by pretending what Trump did after the 2020 election was just politics as usual. Yes, Hilary Clinton complained about Russian interference. But, she conceded the election on November 9th. She did not suggest that Joe Biden refuse to acknowledge the election results. And Joe Biden did indeed certify the election according to the procedures in place. Democrats grumbled. They did not go through the capital with zip ties and gallows literally calling for the death of Mike Pence. 

I don't think Walz did as well as possible, but he was smart to end with a call to action. Is this going to convince any Trump voters to switch sides? Probably not. But hopefully it will refresh the memory of some sane people and get them out to the polls. 

Looks like it was a rather boring debate in comparison to the presidential one. Also, I doubt that this debate was important to begin with. Before the week is over, Trump's stupidity will have taken the spotlight again and Walz vs. Vance will be forgotten.

On a sidenote, American campaigns take forever. For example, Austria elected a new government this past Sunday. An election in late September means that campaigns start in earnest in early September, so it's all done in a single month. We only needed a few weeks to make our fascist party win the election.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Based on clips I've seen and reactions, it seems like it was your fairly average pre-Trump debate before Trump turned debates into a shitshow. I think Harris team probably advised Walz not to go full blown attack mode on JD Vance and instead talk heavily on policy, which does make sense, Walz was brought in to appeal to white male, suburban moderates and won in a Republican leaning district and Harris has already galvanised the Democrat base, that makes for a fairly boring debate though in todays climate, Lol.

It won't move the needle I don't think, based on most polling it was essentially a draw, but then, VP debates never do tend to move the needle much nor do VPs in general unless they're absolutely terrible. It was a safe debate to establish the VPs. However, JD Vance being professional for one day won't be enough, he will soon remind people of how much of a fucking weirdo he is when he makes yet another weird ass comment.

Walz came across well from what I can see, had a few good answers on policy, had a few stumbles and looked the more nervous one, JD Vance talked a bunch of bullshit as per usual but he's a far better liar than Donald Trump and far better at not being baited, he can seemingly change the subject easier than Trump. JD Vance's answer on Jan 6th was horrific though and him crying about being fact checked was an incredible moment, the vast majority of people will forget about this debate within a week but that soundbite from JD Vance may last a little longer, it's an easy attack angle for Harris ads, it's telling that MAGA are more upset about being fact checked than telling outright lies, Lmao.

I think Democrats are just so focused on this debate because while Harris is currently leading the polls and is the slight favourite, it's not enough and essentially makes it a toss-up, if these polls are accurate it will come down to voter turnout and enthusiasm so Democrat voters are looking for any boost they can find, which this debate probably won't provide. Maybe Trump's ego is hurt though by the fact that JD Vance performed better than him and he now accepts a 2nd debate with Harris so he can get his ass whooped again, I think the difference with what happened here is JD Vance actually listened to his campaign team while Trump doesn't listen to anybody, it would be hilarious if this is what this debate led to, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 2 days ago

CNN Net Favourable:

Walz:
Pre Debate +14
Post Debate +37

Vance:
Pre Debate -22
Post Debate -3

CNN Poll: Who Won?

• 51% Vance
  • 49% Walz

Politico: Who Won? (Independents)

• 58% Walz
  • 42% Vance

Politico: Who Would Be a Better VP? (Other)

• 44% Walz
  • 36% Vance

=====

This won't last for JD Vance, like I said, he'll say some weird shit within the next week and everyone will be like "oh yeah, he's a fucking weirdo" while Tim Walz has always maintained a strong favourable rating, plus the only thing people will remember from the debate is the Jan 6th portion and him moaning about being fact checked. Based on polls it's basically a draw but while people see Vance as a good debater and perhaps had a very, very slight edge on Walz, it doesn't really matter when people still largely like Walz a lot more and would consider him a better VP. Plus Walz got the soundbite, I'd give him the win based on the Jan 6th bait that JD Vance fell into, it's something that's going to last longer than the few days of interest a boring debate would have generated.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 2 days ago

Fucking hell, Lol.

Ryuu96 said:

Fucking hell, Lol.

But Trump loves Kim Jong Un! So sad that there is trouble in paradise. :'(