By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you use PS+ essentials/premium catalogue? (Poll)

Do you have PS+ essentials/ premium

Yes. I subscribe and love it 12 48.00%

Yes. Barely use it. 3 12.00%

No. Tried and hate it. 3 12.00%

No. Looks like a rip off. 5 20.00%

Other. 2 8.00%

Total:25
VAMatt said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Have you looked at it at least? Which fo you think is better between the two in terms of catalogue? 

I've looked at it. In terms of the back catalog, I don't really have a preference. I don't play a lot of older games.  But, the day one, AAA releases on game pass are a big value add for me. Also, my GP subscription is far, far cheaper than what I would have to pay for PS Plus.  I'm at around $6 per month for game pass ultimate.  If I had to pay $20 per month, it's unlikely that I would be a continuing subscriber. Right now, I think my limit is probably around $12 per month. That's the value I see.  

They're seperating the service into teirs and upping the price for day one drops which will be the highest teir. You also won't be able to stack past 12 months anymore. 

Around the Network

I tried Premium for the sake of trying and to my surprise I utilize it a lot more than I expected.

The games I never thought of buying (including some PS exclusives) were definitely a nice way of trying them out. Any game that turns out that I end up really enjoying from the catalog I would buy the physical copy to have. When I have family or friends over I was able to download some local party games I would have never bought. They recently added Jackbox Party 9 so that's something my friends and I will definitely want to try that I wouldn't have bought.

Personally, it's a great addition and I renew whenever there's a "state of play" when they have discounts for PS Plus subscriptions. I definitely get my money's worth.

Of course, this isn't for everyone. For anybody that doesn't utilize this feature I can see this being an expensive waste.

The PS+ basic games are out for this month. One really nice title called Ender lillies, which plays a lot like Hollow knight or Ori and the Blind forest. The service has already paid for itself and the PS+ essentials and premium catalogue have yet to release. Love, waiting to see what pops up. Two good months in a row for basic drops among many good months for Essentials. Don't see the need for premium, although it's cool to have access to the games you can stream. 

Really weak month on PS4 apart for people who haven't played the witcher 3. Hopefully cult if the lamb will be good.

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 20 August 2024

LegitHyperbole said:

The PS+ basic games are out for this month. One really nice title called Ender lillies, which plays a lot like Hollow knight or Ori and the Blind forest. The service has already paid for itself and the PS+ essentials and premium catalogue have yet to release. Love, waiting to see what pops up. Two good months in a row for basic drops among many good months for Essentials. Don't see the need for premium, although it's cool to have access to the games you can stream. 

I really loved Ender lillies. I got the plat for it on PC. It was nice and easy to didn't have to do to much extra for it.

Around the Network
method114 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I really loved Ender lillies. I got the plat for it on PC. It was nice and easy to didn't have to do to much extra for it.

Same, I've played a bit and definitely keeping it installed. Really good basic drop. Essentials got Cult of the Lamb yesterday another great one that has paid back the price of the subscription for me. Never would have thought to pay 25 euro on this game. 

LegitHyperbole said:
method114 said:

Same, I've played a bit and definitely keeping it installed. Really good basic drop. Essentials got Cult of the Lamb yesterday another great one that has paid back the price of the subscription for me. Never would have thought to pay 25 euro on this game. 

Need to try cult of the lamb. Heard nothing but good things. Lord knows when that will happen though there are just so many damn games out these days.

method114 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Need to try cult of the lamb. Heard nothing but good things. Lord knows when that will happen though there are just so many damn games out these days.

For sure man. I can't even keep up. Feels like a job wading through the games to find one that sticks. I must have hundreds of games now that I haven't played more than 2 hours with the PS+ essential and premium catalgue, switch back catalogue, being a sucker for sales and years of basic drops and then there is free GaaS which look good. Not enough time in the world.

Yes, PS+ Extra/Premium is the best service for games.
But in the most time (90%), i buy my favorite games on disc =)

KazumaKiryu said:

Yes, PS+ Extra/Premium is the best service for games.
But in the most time (90%), i buy my favorite games on disc =)

You should be getting a least one game a month off it for it to justify the price though right? Currently playing Strangers of paradise and Cult of the lamb which it has paid for itself this months and then some with Ender lillies as a basic drop. Every now and then I dive in for nice little titles like Far Cry 3 blood dragon, games ai'd never have thought ton spend money on. However, No point subbing if you're still buying 90% of your games.