By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who do you believe is the most over rated developer?

Blizzard.

WoW is a leveling treadmill and the epitome of self-destructive tendencies.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
highwaystar101 said:
Bungie - Honestly, what have they done besides Halo?

Good God, man. How long have you been gaming?

Oni (mediocre), Marathon (awesome), Myth (awesome), amongst others.

I like Oni better than Halo. I'd love for them to revive that IP.

I'm gonna go with a tie between Bethesda, Squeenix, and Rockstar Games.

I actually agree completely. Which is sad, since Square and Enix both at times were considered my favorite develope. Square during the SNES era, Enix during parts of the SNES era and the PS1 erfa.

I agree. The original Square made a lot of great games I really enjoyed. Enix not so much. Enix published a lot of great games, but the ones they developed themselves were so-so. Don't confuse Enix's developer teams with those of Chunsoft, Quintet, and Tri-Ace.

Fair enough.  Quest used to be in that bunch that i confused with Enix as well.  Quest was another favorite of mine.  Sad that Square ruined them too.  

FFT just wasn't up to the level of their previous work.

Smash_Brother said:
Blizzard.

WoW is far less a leveling treadmill than any other MMORPG on the market.  You can't reallly blame them for people being addicted to it.  It's fun.  You're also ignore all Blizzard's amazing RTS games.   

naznatips said:
Smash_Brother said:
Blizzard.

WoW is far less a leveling treadmill than any other MMORPG on the market. You can't reallly blame them for people being addicted to it. It's fun. You're also ignore all Blizzard's amazing RTS games.

The *craft series is the same game with a different coat of paint.  The games themselves are actually mediocre, but the sophistication of Battle.Net making it stupidly easy to get online and play with other people at a time when many developers were having trouble is what landed them a homerun.

Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:
Smash_Brother said:
Blizzard.

WoW is far less a leveling treadmill than any other MMORPG on the market. You can't reallly blame them for people being addicted to it. It's fun. You're also ignore all Blizzard's amazing RTS games.

The *craft series is the same game with a different coat of paint. The games themselves are actually mediocre, but the sophistication of Battle.Net making it stupidly easy to get online and play with other people at a time when many developers were having trouble is what landed them a homerun.

Starcraft and Warcraft aren't reven remotely similar past the standards of the genre (producing and controlling units).  The games themselves are hardly mediocre. 

Starcraft didn't become the most competitive game in the world by being mediocre.  It's an extremely well-balanced strategy game with a strong resource and advancement focus.  Warcraft 3 was a very unique combination of RPG stat and inventory systems with RTS gameplay, and has one of the best plots in a video game.  Unlike Starcraft, it's unit focused. 

You clearly know nothing about these games, and I highly recommend you don't continue talking about them lest you go the way of Griffin.  

Around the Network

Wow. Bethesda are amazing. The backlash they are getting here. Oblivion wont appeal to all. But it was one of the best games I played this gen. Also the setting was awesome. Full freedom and beautiful graphics at release.

OT: I think Square Enix. Although I'll buy PS3 for FF13, I dont expect it to be the best Jrpg this gen. Especially after 8,9,10 and 12. They are very overated by alot of people now. (mainly those who arent heavily into the genre though. Most RPG websites FF gets slated.)

selnor said:
Wow. Bethesda are amazing. The backlash they are getting here. Oblivion wont appeal to all. But it was one of the best games I played this gen. Also the setting was awesome. Full freedom and beautiful graphics at release.

OT: I think Square Enix. Although I'll buy PS3 for FF13, I dont expect it to be the best Jrpg this gen. Especially after 8,9,10 and 12. They are very overated by alot of people now. (mainly those who arent heavily into the genre though. Most RPG websites FF gets slated.)

IX is hardly overrated.  VII, VIII, X, and XII I'll give you, but FFIX is basically the best thing Square has ever produced, with the possible exceptions of FFVI and Chrono Trigger.

naznatips said:
selnor said:

IX is hardly overrated. VII, VIII, X, and XII I'll give you, but FFIX is basically the best thing Square has ever produced, with the possible exceptions of FFVI and Chrono Trigger.

Yeah out of those I mention 9 was the best but still in majr rpg circles like Rpg Gamer, It's not even in top 10. 

naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:
Smash_Brother said:
Blizzard.

The *craft series is the same game with a different coat of paint. The games themselves are actually mediocre, but the sophistication of Battle.Net making it stupidly easy to get online and play with other people at a time when many developers were having trouble is what landed them a homerun.

Starcraft and Warcraft aren't reven remotely similar past the standards of the genre (producing and controlling units). The games themselves are hardly mediocre.

Starcraft didn't become the most competitive game in the world by being mediocre. It's an extremely well-balanced strategy game with a strong resource and advancement focus. Warcraft 3 was a very unique combination of RPG stat and inventory systems with RTS gameplay, and has one of the best plots in a video game. Unlike Starcraft, it's unit focused.

You clearly know nothing about these games, and I highly recommend you don't continue talking about them lest you go the way of Griffin.

Yes, I clearly know nothing about them despite owning them and playing them for a couple years around the 1999-2001 time period (War3 was around 04 maybe?).  I own most of Blizzard's games even as far back to Justice League Task Force (which I have for the Genesis) so if you think I don't know what I'm talking about take a step back and re-evaluate your position.

Back in the 90s there were a lot of games that had either unreliable internet connection capabilities (and hosting capabilities) or extremely complex daunting ones.  Battle.Net was a huge success because not only did it work phenominally well but it was simple enough that just about anyone with two eyes and a heartbeat could figure it out.  Do you really think it would have become so competitively played had that not been true.

And also, those games have been severely patched as time has gone by.  If you think those games were as balanced as they were the moment they hit store shelves as they are now, I think you're the one who doesn't understand the subject.  (Blizzard LOVES to patch its stuff, a fact that made me hate playing Diablo 2 because you never knew what would be patched away next.  When they patched away the Piercing/Guided Arrow trick in D2, I stopped playing it on Battle.Net.)

Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

Starcraft and Warcraft aren't reven remotely similar past the standards of the genre (producing and controlling units). The games themselves are hardly mediocre.

Starcraft didn't become the most competitive game in the world by being mediocre. It's an extremely well-balanced strategy game with a strong resource and advancement focus. Warcraft 3 was a very unique combination of RPG stat and inventory systems with RTS gameplay, and has one of the best plots in a video game. Unlike Starcraft, it's unit focused.

Yes, I clearly know nothing about them despite owning them and playing them for a couple years around the 1999-2001 time period (War3 was around 04 maybe?). I own most of Blizzard's games even as far back to Justice League Task Force (which I have for the Genesis) so if you think I don't know what I'm talking about take a step back and re-evaluate your position.

Back in the 90s there were a lot of games that had either unreliable internet connection capabilities (and hosting capabilities) or extremely complex daunting ones. Battle.Net was a huge success because not only did it work phenominally well but it was simple enough that just about anyone with two eyes and a heartbeat could figure it out. Do you really think it would have become so competitively played had that not been true.

And also, those games have been severely patched as time has gone by. If you think those games were as balanced as they were the moment they hit store shelves as they are now, I think you're the one who doesn't understand the subject. (Blizzard LOVES to patch its stuff, a fact that made me hate playing Diablo 2 because you never knew what would be patched away next. When they patched away the Piercing/Guided Arrow trick in D2, I stopped playing it on Battle.Net.)

You're not helping your position by making more generalizations without defending your original (completely incorrect) assertions.  I never questioned the quality of the online service.  Nor did I say the games weren't patched (it's a testament to the quality of the developer that they were commited to keeping these games updated for years).  

I'm still waiting for you to justify your totally bullshit declaration that the Craft games are the same.  If you really think that, you either know nothing about RTS games, or you haven't played them and are making up BS.  Either way, my respect for you is dwindling by the minute as you continue a discussion you clearly aren't prepared for.  I warned you not to continue this discussion.