By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Israel-Hamas war, Gaza genocide

Aftermath of Israeli strike on Remal clinic in Gaza City

Civil defence workers search for victims following the Israeli attack on a Remal clinic

People survey the damage after the Israeli air strike on the clinic in Gaza City

People search through the rubble after the Israeli strike on the clinic

Scene at North Gaza hospital under threat from Israeli forces

Al Jazeera’s Moath al-Kahlout has been seeing casualties arrive at Kamal Adwan Hospital in northern Gaza, where staff say Israeli forces have ordered them to leave. Soldiers, meanwhile, continue their assault on the nearby Jabalia refugee camp.

‘For six days, Jabalia under siege from all directions’: Rescuer

As we’ve been reporting, the Israeli army has been laying siege to the Jabalia refugee camp, in northern Gaza.

Al Jazeera has spoken to Muitaz Ayoub, an ambulance of Gaza’s civil defence based in the camp. Here’s what he had to say: “For the past six days, the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza has been under a heavy siege imposed by the Israeli army from all directions. This is coupled with intensive aerial bombardment by Israeli warplanes, drone attacks and artillery shelling.

“These attacks have been uninterrupted, mostly targeting residential areas and sheltering centres. “The Israelis had issued warnings for residents to evacuate the entire Jabalia area, yet thousands of Palestinian civilians are holding their ground, be it in their ruined homes or sheltering centres."

“Both Kamal Adwan and al-Awda hospitals continue to serve our people, despite repeated threats by the Israelis to turn both hospitals into ruins just like what they did to al-Shifa Hospital."

“We repeatedly appeal to the world community to help maintain the few hospitals operating in Gaza and to continue providing minimum healthcare services to our people who are suffering under merciless bombardment and ruthless shelling by the Israelis."

“Dead bodies are decomposed and eaten by stray dogs and many survivors are left to bleed to their death. If those hospitals come out of service, it will be a disaster. The Israeli army continues to target civil defence and paramedic teams, preventing us from even reaching out to the victims, to recover the dead or help survivors. However, we will continue to serve our people no matter what."

“We reiterate our appeal to the Red Cross, WHO and the entire international community to at least help coordinate access for medical teams into the affected areas simply to help save lives.”

Around the Network

People search bodies for family members after Israeli attack on school shelter

A Palestinian man carries an injured child after an Israeli air strike in Deir el-Balah

We’re still seeing more of the surviving family members who rushed to the hospital to check for their children and check for their family members to see if they were among the casualties or not. Some of them are still missing.

We saw one mother going through the bodies, just looking for anything that could lead to the body of her son. She said there is a birthmark – that she’s going to continue to search.

Another person was looking for the body of his wife, who happened to be at that evacuation centre when it was targeted. She was given an appointment to go pick up formula milk for her newly born child that happened to be distributed at this evacuation centre.

She was in the morgue of Al-Aqsa Hospital. He was able to recognise the body from the clothes that she was wearing. That’s the hardest part of what we have been seeing so far here at the hospital.

The situations continue to be very difficult inside the emergency department where medical staff are pretty much unable to provide any necessary medical intervention to save lives.

The bomb that was dropped by the F-16 packed with nails, packed with pieces of metal and shrapnel that cut through the flesh and caused severe bleeding. Many of the victims arriving at the hospital, their blood filled up the courtyard of the hospital the moment the door of the ambulance vehicle opened.

The situation continues to be very tragic and very difficult at all levels here at the hospital.

A Palestinian child wounded in the Israeli bombardment is treated at a hospital in Deir el-Balah

Three Israeli soldiers killed in northern Gaza Strip: Israeli military

The Israeli military says the men died during fighting in the besieged enclave’s north and their families have been notified.

Two of the men, both 32 years old, were of the rank of master sergeant while the other, aged 37, was a major from Jerusalem.

One killed in Gaza’s Jabalia in Israeli strike: Civil Defence

The rescue organisation says it has removed the body of one person killed after being targeted by Israeli aircraft at the Abu Sharar roundabout in the northern Strip.

Israel has been carrying out a siege on several areas of the northern Gaza Strip, especially Jabalia, for nearly a week, killing scores of Palestinians.

Death toll in the Gaza Strip rises amid ongoing Israeli air strikes

Medical sources have told Al Jazeera that 63 people have been killed in Israeli air strikes on the Gaza Strip today.

A Palestinian boy stands at the site of an Israeli strike on a school sheltering displaced people in Deir el-Balah in the central Gaza Strip

Israeli fighter jets, helicopters carry out attacks on northern, central Gaza

The Israeli military has carried out attacks in the north of the Gaza Strip in recent hours, our Al Jazeera Arabic colleagues report, citing local sources.

Several people were injured when Israeli fighter jets bombed a house near al-Ihsan Mosque in Jabalia, while Israeli artillery shelling has resumed on al-Sikka Street in the Zeitoun neighbourhood, southeast of Gaza City.

Israeli helicopters have also launched an air attack on the al-Hakr area in Deir el-Balah, central Gaza.

‘We’re dead alive’: A year of living, reporting the war on Gaza

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/longform/2024/10/10/were-dead-alive-a-year-of-living-and-reporting-the-war-on-gaza

A year into the war, families in Deir el-Balah’s Ard Shurab camp share their everyday struggles, marked by increasing hardships and loss.

Umm Muhammad worries about her daughter’s engagement during the conflict, while Najla, a local hairdresser, finds herself busier than ever, offering beauty services amidst the chaos.

As displacement becomes the new normal, the residents are adapting to their changed reality.

A year of life during the war in Gaza

Pretty genius really (excerpt about schooling)

The thought of her losing an entire school year drove me crazy with worry. I tried everything I could to resist it. When I learned that the Ministry of Education had developed a distance learning programme for children who had been displaced to Egypt, I knew I’d do anything to get her onto it - even though there was no way for us to leave Gaza.

My sister had left for Egypt months earlier, so I sent her my daughter’s documents and all the required paperwork. After many attempts and using persistent circumvention methods, I was able to include my daughter's name in the list of students in Egypt.

The next challenge was to get an internet connection. The lines had been cut and the telephone exchanges were completely out of order. So, I took a detour, enlisting the help of a relative who works as a communications engineer.

It took two weeks of trying until the internet connection worked but when it did, I was overwhelmed with joy and relief. I wanted to shout my gratitude to the relative who would remind me every day not to tell anyone, lest they be held accountable. Accountable for restoring one of our most basic rights. Accountable for a secret internet connection that would allow my daughter to continue her secret education.

At 3pm every day, I’d declare a state of emergency in the house so that my daughter could sit in front of my mobile phone or laptop and connect to Microsoft Teams for her daily lessons. If I was out reporting, I’d make sure that my sister or husband were there to remind her.

I’d worry constantly that the teachers would realise she wasn’t in Egypt but in Gaza.

“Turn off the microphone so no one hears the buzzing sound around you,” I’d tell her. “If there is shelling and sounds of gunfire, turn off the microphone and don't answer. Make excuses about the internet connection,” I’d remind her.

Sometimes she would ask me why. “We learn in secret, my dear,” I’d respond.

For five months, she learned like this. Five months of learning amid the noise and destruction of war as she pretended to be safely removed from it. We printed each textbook at an exorbitant cost, and she handed in each assignment via WhatsApp. Then, that most precious of things - a completed school year and an official certificate advancing her to the fourth grade.

Mom of the year. Distract her daughter from the war and keep her on track with education. (Also for putting up with MS teams har har)

A Palestinian mother’s year of resilience after giving birth on October 7, 2023

A Palestinian woman marks her son’s first birthday on October 7, as she recalls the dramatic night of his delivery under the sounds of air strikes one year ago.

UN inquiry accuses Israel of crime of ‘extermination’

A United Nations inquiry says it found that Israel carried out a concerted policy of destroying Gaza’s healthcare system in the Gaza war, actions amounting to both war crimes and the crime against humanity of extermination.

A statement by ex-UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay released ahead of a full report accused Israel of “relentless and deliberate attacks on medical personnel and facilities” in the war.

“Children in particular have borne the brunt of these attacks, suffering both directly and indirectly from the collapse of the health system,” said Pillay, whose report will be presented to the UN General Assembly on October 30.

The UN inquiry’s statement also accused Israeli forces of deliberately killing and torturing medical personnel, targeting medical vehicles and restricting permits for patients to leave the besieged Gaza Strip.

Civil society groups sue Dutch state for ‘failing to prevent genocide in Gaza’

A coalition of Palestinian and Dutch civil society organisations have announced they are suing the Dutch state for “failing to prevent genocide in Gaza and other Israeli violations of international law”.

The groups said their main request is for the Dutch civil court to include a ban on the export and transit of weapons to Israel and investment relations that “help maintain Israel’s unlawful occupation and colonisation of Palestinian territory”.

They argue that The Netherlands is obliged, as a signatory of the Genocide Convention, to take measures to prevent genocide, whereas it keeps arming Israel and “consistently positioning itself as a political ally of Israel”.

This is happening even though the International Court of Justice ruled in January that Israel is plausibly committing genocide against Palestinians, they said.

German Chancellor promises to supply more weapons to Israel ‘soon’

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz says his country is set to supply more weapons to Israel “soon”, after facing criticism from the opposition that Berlin has been deliberately delaying exports.

“We have not decided not to supply weapons. We have supplied weapons and we will supply weapons,” Scholz told parliament at an event to commemorate the victims of the October 7 Hamas attack.

The pledge put him at odds with France, where President Emmanuel Macron last week suggested an embargo on weapons for use in Gaza, sparking a sharp rebuke from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Germany’s approvals for arms exports to Israel have significantly decreased this year, totalling 14.5 million euros ($15.8m) from January to August 21, according to data from the Economy Ministry in response to a parliamentary question.

In contrast, Germany approved arms exports to Israel worth 326.5 million euros ($356.4m) in 2023.

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz speaks during a special session of the German parliament marking the first anniversary Hamas attack on Israel

Germany loves a good genocide...

Deficit in Israel rises to 8.5 percent of GDP: Report

The Times of Israel, citing preliminary figures released by the Finance Ministry, reports that military and civilian spending on the war on Gaza has pushed Israel’s budget deficit in September to 8.5 percent of its gross domestic product (GDP).

The newspaper said this marks the sixth month that the deficit has been above the government’s annual target of 6.6 percent of GDP. The Finance Ministry has reiterated the target despite the Israeli military increasing its attacks on Lebanon.

UN confirms home demolitions by Israel in the occupied West Bank

The UN confirmed reports of three demolitions of Palestinian homes by Israeli authorities across the occupied West Bank.

The demolitions took place in Arroub, Furush Beit Dajan, and al-Jalama.

According to UN data compiled since 2009, Israeli forces have destroyed at least 11,638 Palestinian structures across the occupied West Bank, displacing 18,833 people. More than 1,300 demolitions have taken place in 2024.

Israel moves to confiscate UNRWA HQs in occupied East Jerusalem: Reports

Israeli media reports say Israel is moving to confiscate the land of the headquarters of UN’s agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) in occupied East Jerusalem and allocate it for illegal settlements.

The area will be turned into 1,440 housing units and preparations are reportedly under way with an order issued for seizing the land, reports by Israeli Army Radio and Israel Hayom said.

In May, Israeli settlers set fire to the compound of the headquarters amid increasing Israeli rhetoric against the UN agency and efforts to designate it a “terrorist” organisation.

Israeli military says it launches an air attack in Tulkarem

The Israeli military says it has attacked a “terror cell” in the city of Tulkarem in the occupied West Bank.

Earlier, the Palestinian news agency Wafa reported that Israeli forces conducted raids in Tulkarem and destroyed infrastructure.

Wafa’s correspondent reported: “Heavily armoured bulldozers barged their way into the city from the western entrance and made their way to the Nur Shams refugee camp.”

Two killed in Israeli attack on Tulkarem, occupied West Bank

The Palestinian Ministry of Health reports that two people have been killed in the Nur Shams refugee camp by an earlier Israeli air strike on the area of the city of Tulkarem in the occupied West Bank.

The Israeli army claimed this strike, saying, without providing evidence, that it targeted a “terror cell”

Israel says 2 Palestinian fighters killed in drone strike, confiscates remains

The Israeli military has informed Palestinian authorities in the occupied West Bank that they have confiscated the bodies of two men killed in a drone strike on a car east of Tulkarem city on Thursday evening, our colleagues at Al Jazeera Arabic report.

Israel’s military said it recovered weapons and ammunition from the car, following the air attack in the Tulkarem area, and claimed it had killed two Palestinian fighters, including the head of Palestinian Islamic Jihad in the Nur Shams refugee camp.

Palestinian news agency Wafa identified the slain men as Iyad Muhammad Abdullah, from Nur Shams, and Awad Jamil Saqr Omar from Bal’a town in the Tulkarem governorate.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 11 October 2024

Around the Network

Israel detains 5 journalists, charges US reporter with ‘aiding the enemy’: Reports

Israeli police arrested Jeremy Loffredo, a 28-year-old American journalist, for reporting on where missiles landed, including in the Nevatim airbase and an intelligence base, during Iran’s missile attack on Israel earlier this month.

The charges against Loffredo include “aiding the enemy during wartime and providing information to the enemy”, Israeli news site Ynet reported on Thursday.

Loffredo, who works with far-left outlet The Grayzone, is one of five journalists Israeli authorities reportedly detained, Ynet reports. 

“Today I was beaten, kidnapped, blindfolded and taken to a military base by the [Israeli army], together with 4 other journalists,” Andrey X, a Russian journalist posted on X, on Wednesday.

“Two of us were held for 11 hours without charges, my phone was confiscated (stolen), and one of us is still in custody,” he said, without offering details of those detained.

‘Zero accountability’: CPJ marks year since Israel killed, injured journalists in south Lebanon

The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) said a there has been “zero accountability” a year on from the killing of Reuters journalist Issam Abdallah, and the wounding of six other reporters when the Israeli military fired two tank shells into southern Lebanon.

The deadly attack on October 13, 2023, which also injured two Al Jazeera reporters, “is part of a pattern of impunity by Israel in journalist killings,” the CPJ said.

“The October 13 targeted attack that killed Issam Abdallah and injured six journalists clearly identifiable as press is a continuation of Israel’s decades-long pattern of targeting journalists with impunity,” CPJ CEO Jodie Ginsberg said.

A journalist’s car burns at the site where Reuters video journalist Issam Abdallah was killed and six others were injured by Israeli tank fire, in Alma Al-Shaab, near the border with Israel, in southern Lebanon, on October 13, 2023

EU Mediterranean states set to meet as Middle East conflict grows

Leaders from nine European countries around the Mediterranean Sea are scheduled to meet in Cyprus later today to discuss the ongoing wars in the Middle East.

Heads of state or government from France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Slovenia and Croatia are to be joined by the king of Jordan, Abdullah II, for the one-day meeting in the Cypriot city of Paphos.

Israel’s war on Gaza and its invasion of Lebanon, as well as rising tensions with Iran, have raised fears of a wider regional conflict that would have a major impact on refugee and migrant flows, as well as Europe’s security and economy.

Countries such as Italy, Greece and Spain are the main arrival points in the European Union for people displaced by war or fleeing poverty, with around 55,000 people crossing the Mediterranean in the first six months of the year, EU data shows.

EU Council chief says Israel’s attacks on UN peace mission ‘not acceptable’

European Council President Charles Michel said Israel’s attacks on the UN peacekeeping operations in Lebanon, which have injured two Indonesian peacekeepers and damaged UN property, are neither responsible nor acceptable.

“An attack against a UN peace mission is not responsible, is not acceptable and that’s why we call on Israel and we call on all sides to fully respect international humanitarian law,” Michel told the French news agency, AFP, on the sidelines of a summit in Laos on Friday.

Two wounded in another Israeli attack on UN peacekeepers

Israeli media is reporting that there has been another attack by Israeli forces on the UN peacekeeping forces near the border with Lebanon. Two people have been wounded.

This comes after UNIFIL said yesterday that two Indonesian peacekeepers were wounded in an Israeli attack.

Several UN peacekeepers injured in new Israeli attack on UNIFIL HQ

Lebanon’s National News Agency is reporting that several Sri Lankan peacekeepers have been injured in another Israeli attack targeting the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) headquarters in southern Lebanon.

The report said an Israeli Merkava tank targeted one of UNIFIL’s observation towers on the main road connecting Tyre to Naqoura, in front of a Lebanese Army checkpoint, injuring the Sri Lankan contingent stationed there.

It said Israeli artillery fired a shell that struck the main entrance of the UNIFIL command centre in Naqoura, causing damage to the site.

Vehicles of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) patrol in Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on Friday

UN chief slams Israel after new attack on UNIFIL

The UN chief has condemned the Israeli shooting targeting the the UN peacekeepers in Lebanon, adding that they must be protected. The UN chief stressed that the world cannot allow escalation of the conflict in the Middle East, calling it a threat to global security.

Italy, China condemn Israeli attacks on UNIFIL post

Israeli forces have acted illegally by shooting at positions used by UN peacekeepers in Lebanon, according to Italian Defence Minister Guido Crosetto, who denounced it as a possible “war crime”.

“This was not a mistake and not an accident,” Crosetto told a news conference. “It could constitute a war crime and represented a very serious violation of international humanitarian law,” he said.

Crosetto said he had contacted his Israeli counterpart to protest and had also summoned the Israeli ambassador to Italy to demand an explanation, which was not yet forthcoming.

Meanwhile, China expressed “grave concern and strong condemnation” of the incidents.

“China expresses grave concern and strong condemnation over the Israeli Defense Forces’ attack on UNIFIL positions and observation posts, which resulted in injuries to UNIFIL personnel,” Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning said, referring to the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon.

Lebanon’s PM calls for ‘immediate’ ceasefire

Lebanon’s caretaker PM Mikati has called for a UN resolution demanding an “immediate” ceasefire with Israel. He urged Israel to stop its attacks on the civilian population and residential areas, saying that 139 people were killed in strikes yesterday.

“All of them were civilians. This is no longer acceptable. Where is the humanity? What reality are we living in?”

Mikati also said the Israeli attack on the UN peacekeeping forces in southern Lebanon is a “denounced crime”.

PM Mikati reiterating 19-year ceasefire call

What PM Mikati is doing is reiterating a ceasefire deal that has been on the table for 19 years.

That is UN Resolution 1701 passed in 2006 by the Security Council. It calls on Hezbollah to push back from the Latani River for the Lebanese army to take over security in that part of southern Lebanon.

Mikati is also saying Israel’s actions in Lebanon should be a wake-up call for the international community. He said this is more crucial than ever – the framework and the ceasefire deal are there and it just needs to be implemented.

And his government is ready to implement it to the letter.

UN ‘appalled’ by Israel-Hezbollah war rhetoric

The United Nations says it is “appalled” by inflammatory language surrounding the war between Israel and Hezbollah and asked leaders to end their “bellicose posturing”.

Netanyahu this week urged the Lebanese people to rise up against Hezbollah or risk a similar fate to Hamas-run Gaza.

“We are appalled by sweeping inflammatory language on multiple sides,” UN Human Rights Office spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani told a media briefing in Geneva.

“Recent language threatening Lebanese people as a whole and calling on them to either rise up against Hezbollah or face destruction like Gaza, risks being understood as encouraging or accepting violence directed against civilians and civilian objects, in violation of international law.”

She also decried as “unacceptable” the “ongoing denigration of the UN, in particular UNRWA”, the UN agency supporting nearly six million Palestinian refugees spread across Gaza, the West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria.

“This kind of toxic rhetoric, from any source, must stop,” she said.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 11 October 2024

The aftermath of Israel’s attacks on central Beirut

An Israeli attack in densely populated areas of central Beirut has killed at least 22 people and wounded 117 others, as strikes move away from Hezbollah strongholds in the southern suburbs and into the heart of the Lebanese capital.

The attack, which struck buildings in the Nuweiri and Nabaa neighbourhoods, was a failed attempt to assassinate senior Hezbollah official Wafiq Safa, according to media reports.

People gather near a damaged building at the site of an Israeli air strike in Beirut on October 11

Israel says its downed UAVs and rockets launched from Lebanon

The Israeli army says its defences have intercepted two unmanned aircraft launched towards the country’s territory from Lebanon. They were destroyed before crossing into the Israeli airspace, a statement said.

The military also said some 25 rockets were launched from Lebanon at about 8:30am (05:30 GMT), adding that some were intercepted while others fell in open areas.

Hezbollah says it targeted Israeli military base

Hezbollah says it launched a drone attack an Israeli military base in Kiryat Eliezer in Haifa.

In a statement, it added:

• Its fighters targeted an Israeli soldiers’ gatherings with rockets in the Zovolon area, north of Haifa, and in the settlement of Kafrsold.
  • It shelled the Yaftah barracks and its surroundings.
  • It targeted al-Abad site with a missile.

Hezbollah said the these attacks come in support of the Palestinians and in defence of Lebanon following Israeli attack on civilians that have killed more than 2,000 people.

Israeli air raids hit southern Lebanon

Our colleagues on the ground are reporting two Israeli air raids near the town of Bazouriya in the southern Lebanese district of Tyre.

Iran says ready to ‘defend sovereignty’ against Israel attack

Iran says it is “fully prepared to defend its sovereignty” if its arch-foe Israel attacks as it has threatened to do in response to a barrage of about 200 missiles.

The country launched the missiles at Israel on October 1 in retaliation for the killing of two of its closest allies, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh and Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, along with an Iranian general.

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said this week that his country’s response would be “deadly, precise and surprising”.

In an address to the UN Security Council on Thursday, Iran’s permanent representative to the United Nations, Amir Saeid Iravani, said the country “stands fully prepared to defend its sovereignty and territorial integrity against any aggression targeting its vital interests and security”.

Iran, he said, was not seeking “war or escalation” but would exercise its “inherent right to self-defence fully in line with international law and will notify the Security Council of its legitimate response”.

Israel ‘killing innocent people’ with support from the West

Iran’s President Pezeshkian said that Israel should “stop killing innocent people”, and that its actions in the Middle East were backed by the US and the EU.

Pezeshkian was speaking to a Russian state TV reporter on the sidelines of an international meeting in Turkmenistan.

Iran FM reiterates Israel retaliation warning

Tehran will not hesitate to take “stronger defensive actions” if Israel launches an attack after last week’s missile attack by Tehran, according to Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.

Iran is “fully prepared to take stronger defensive actions, if necessary, in response to any further aggression, and will not hesitate to do so”, Araghchi said in a letter to other foreign ministers, according to a ministry post on X.

Araghchi said in his letter that Iran’s missile attack on Israel had been in accordance with its right to self defence under international law and followed much restraint as it sought a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza.

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant has said Israel will hit Iran in a way that will be “lethal, precise and surprising”.