8. inFamous 2
9. Ni No Kuni
10. Gears of War 3

Around the Network

Killzone 3 for me. It was such a fun shooter loved the campaign and multiplayer

Other: Mario Kart 7
Runner up: Minecraft
Game I wanna play: Witcher 2

I’ve played Witcher 3 for hundreds of hours, but have never played Witcher 1 or 2. I’ve owned both for years on Steam (I think!). I’ve been holding out for a Nintendo release at some point.
Mario Kart 7, I played a lot on 3DS at work (it was our lunch break game of choice) until Mario Kart 8 DX came along. It was a massive improvement over the DS one, it fixed a lot of things that were broken in that one (like power sliding, which made the experience kind of gross on the DS) and had overall more interesting races.
Minecraft I played WAY too much when it first came out. When I got it, the game was little more than an elaborate world editor, but it quickly transformed into a very interesting sandbox experience. I played on a server with a number of co-workers, and we built up a small city. But I put the game down a long time ago (feels longer than 12 years ago, but it probably wasn’t) and haven’t played it since.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
archbrix said:

Weird year for me. Zelda, while a massive step up from those DS abominations, still let me down and Uncharted 3 had bizarre aiming problems for me (I was fine with aiming in the other three), so I probably has the most fun with my 3DS this year between Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, so voted "other."

Which do you prefer between MK7 and 3D Land?

Since someone else voted for Mario Kart 7 I'll just go with that too, I guess.  Neither has a chance of winning anyway.  And I can't believe nobody has voted for Uncharted 3 yet.  :O

Seems only thing from the year I've played is Lego Pirates of the Caribbean. Lots of content, but nasty camera angle for platforming. So I think I'll rather abstain than vote that even as a technicality.

Around the Network

There's about 11 hours left with Skyrim and Dark Souls being extremely close.

In 2011, family problems had come to an end, and it made me seek out fun stuff. This year I started re-buying nice copies of games we used to own in within the family and started hunting down games I missed over the years.

Still, there were new games I played as well. From the list I played Uncharted 3 and Zelda Skyward Sword, and many years later a small bit of LA Noire. My mother would play a lot of Skyrim, but I wouldn't get into it because I never got very far in Oblivion. From the 'other' list I played Uncharted Golden Abyss, years later, and Mario Kart 7 and 3D Land. This years was also the year of the Ocarina of Time remake, the Starfox 64 remake, Shogun 2 Total War and a construction game called Cities in Motion. It was also a year where I had something to complain; this was the year Star Wars The Old Republic came out, and as a hater of the MMO genre, I blamed it for the cancelling of a potential Knights of the Old Republic 3 and it was one more thing to slant EA over. Also, in the Anno series, which is one of my favourites, they came with Anno 2070, and a setting in the future didn't interest me.

However by now there was enough good to counteract the bad. Zelda Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64 were great. I bought the 3DS for Zelda on its release day, and with Ocarina of Time being the greatest game ever made it should handily win this year, but that's not fair so I'll discount the remakes. Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land were also great, I got them both simultaneously and I felt they were huge improvements over their DS predecessors, and even over some of their console predecessors. 3D Land proved the 3DS's 3D effect for me. This actually helped in my skill in gaming. I could judge angles and distances way better. A downside though is that made my skill in the same on a tv-screen, much worse. Suddenly I couldn't really judge angles and distances anymore.

On consoles, the highlights of the year were Skyward Sword and Uncharted 3. Skyward Sword was a worthy Zelda game with great dungeons. Personally I always thought the motion control, the sword fighting anyway, worked great and I could never relate to complaints. Uncharted 3 however was a terrific adventure. I actually liked its story better than Uncharted 2's, because it wasn't as focussed on something supernatural. The graphics were something I hadn't seen before, and I'd say it still looked good. The characters were kept true to their personalities and remained a treat to see.

Overal a decent year, with some good highs, my vote is Uncharted 3.

EDIT: ... of which I am the first vote apparently lol.

Oddly, I don't remember much from 2011. I enjoyed InFAMOUS 2 and LittleBigPlanet 2 but otherwise, I am struggling from that list.

I guess I will be the weirdo that says something completely random and go with Atelier Totori. A lovely, lovely, lovely JRPG.

Skyrim and Dark Souls fans doing their darndest to extend this poll just like they did with their favourite games.

Portal 2 by far tbh. Its not a massive 100 hour rpg or anything but its an unmatched experience I havent felt since