By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Team Xbox presents the Gods of Too Human...

Team Xbox is doing a monthly exclusive segment called "The Gods of Too Human", where they cover in detail each of Too Human's four gods over the next four months.  It also appears that Too Human won't be hitting shelves any earlier than August, as shown by the parts I have bolded in the second paragraph, and the fact that IGN has changed it's release date for the US to "August 2008".

We’re looking forward to Too Human, Silicon Knights’ epic sci-fi action game. We’re looking forward to it a lot. And one of the things that has us the most intrigued is the inspiration taken from Nordic mythology that went into the game’s design. Not only are famous Nordic gods a presence in this game, they are living, breathing characters that will fight alongside you in battle. Ain’t no sidekick like a supernatural sidekick, as grampa used to say.

In this, the first installment of four monthly exclusive looks at the gods of Too Human, we take a closer look at Thor, the god of thunder. To give us a better idea of how Thor and the other gods are utilized in the game, we talked to Ken McCulloch, Director of Content for Silicon Knights about the inspiration behind the design of the characters, and what we can expect to see when Too Human debuts on the Xbox 360 later this year.

Thor is one of the more familiar gods from Nordic mythology, having appeared in movies and comics, etc. How is the Thor of Too Human different from those representations?

Ken McCulloch: Thor is rarely depicted as a character of substance, and frequently depicted as a stupid oaf. In “Too Human” we bowed to tradition with most of our characters in terms of matching the mythology, but we need the player to take them seriously at a deeper level in order to convey our messages and themes.

Thor is a warrior who lives for battle’s sake. It is testament to ODIN’s engineering that Thor excels at what he is. He is boisterous and jocular, living for the thrill and glory of battle - pretty much everything else is inconsequential to him. He rarely lets his more “level-headed” side come through unless it is a matter of dire consequence. We hope that this level-headed side of Thor makes him more of a real character, someone with stakes in the overall story. Thor has a sense of justice, a code of honor and, more importantly, a conscience. He can be as thoughtful as he is reckless when the situation calls for it.

What was the inspiration behind his visual design? Did you go back to scratch from Norse mythology or did you try and create something entirely new.

Ken McCulloch: We tried to combine both modern and primitive in Thor. He is a warrior who is as proud of his heritage as one of the Aesir as he is of his actions on the battlefield. He wants to proudly display his tattoos and the scars earned in battle. The tattoos echo the mythology themes – in some ways they hint to what is to come in the trilogy Thor’s armor was designed to be bulky and straightforward, since Thor is a man of little subtlety. He is “blatantly unrefined”, impulsive and sometimes socially inept, as evidenced by the bared skin to show off his scars. 

How do you interact with him in the game? What influence does he have specifically in the world of Too Human.

Ken McCulloch: For the most part, Thor is your “older brother”, giving advice and commentary on your actions and events in the world. However, there is an opportunity to go hunting with him, discovering a dark secret lost to the world for eons.

His hammer. How big?

Ken McCulloch: Oh, it’s big - but size isn’t everything. Thor’s hammer, “Mjolnir”, satisfies through the application of highly explosive, armor-penetrating shaped charge warheads, so that Thor’s might can be felt exactly where it is needed.

Stay tuned as we will continue to provide exclusive coverage of Silicon Knights' Too Human!

I hope this game turns out well.  It looks really interesting. 

Around the Network

me too and I hope it helps the idea of episodic DLC to get in the mainstream.... I'm dead convinced it could be a great thing

I expect it to BOMB, u can't even imagine ... Too Human = Lair for xobx360

The overall experience seems not innovative, old gen, and, more important, badly executed. The artistic design is just ..... bad.

I hope, for you, that I m wrong.

Time to Work !

Lair bombed because it sucked. I reckon Too Human will be a high-eighties averaging game that will do mediocre sales wise because of the horrible marketing it has received. I mean the game looks awesome. There hasn't been a single decent action RPG this generation ( I consider Mass Effect a pure RPG).

But I think this game will be awesome.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Lair bombed because it sucked. I reckon Too Human will be a high-eighties averaging game that will do mediocre sales wise because of the horrible marketing it has received. I mean the game looks awesome. There hasn't been a single decent action RPG this generation ( I consider Mass Effect a pure RPG).

You think it will be awesome simply because it's coming to the 360.

What's stopping Too Human bombing because it sucks?

It doesn't look great from the videos I've seen. It's sort of similar to 'Alone in the Dark' in my view; some bits look quite decent, while other sections look clunky and terrible.

Watching this small segment of the game I could deduce a few things: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30753.html

-Enemy AI is woeful.

-The main characters movements look a bit jerky

-Some textures look a bit strange

-Gameplay looks a bit bland and repeditive

Now It could turn out to be a decent game. Mass Effect had it's own issues like framerate etc. Yet, went on to be a (from what I've heard) a great game.

I'd be cautious though before saying this will definetly be awesome. Some things are just indicating it perhaps won't be. When game flaws, much like the case with 'Alone in the Dark', are evident in a trailers at this late stage in development you might have reason to worry.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
starcraft said:

You think it will be awesome simply because it's coming to the 360.

What's stopping Too Human bombing because it sucks?

It doesn't look great from the videos I've seen. It's sort of similar to 'Alone in the Dark' in my view; some bits look quite decent, while other sections look clunky and terrible.

Watching this small segment of the game I could deduce a few things: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30753.html

-Enemy AI is woeful.

-The main characters movements look a bit jerky

-Some textures look a bit strange

-Gameplay looks a bit bland and repeditive

Now It could turn out to be a decent game. Mass Effect had it's own issues like framerate etc. Yet, went on to be a (from what I've heard) a great game.

I'd be cautious though before saying this will definetly be awesome. Some things are just indicating it perhaps won't be. When game flaws, much like the case with 'Alone in the Dark', are evident in a trailers at this late stage in development you might have reason to worry.

At no point did I say it will be definitely be awesome, I said I think it will be.  But then again, at one point I almost bought a PS3 for Lair.  Thank god I held out a week for the reviews.  We have very different perspectives on where this game is going.  Personally I think the action looks fun, the graphics very nice (nothing revolutionary here), plus I'm holding out for a good action orientated RPG to hold me over till Fable 2 (although Infinite Undiscovery and Tales will take care of the JRPG front).

At the same time, your absolutely right.  At this point, all either of us can do is speculate.  If Lair proved one thing, it is that an awesome looking game doesn't always live up to your impressions and hopes. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Meh diablo was repetitive and it was awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be more fun then people think it will be.

This will not be lair, lair in all fairness was a decent game (supposedly) but because of the crappy controls, it BOMBED.

How can the controls go wrong for this game?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

starcraft,

wow I was a bit hard vs Too Human

Let's say this game has all to prove

Even more than Haze(been) !!

Time to Work !

The thing that worries me about this game is the fact that it's development started on the PS1. It was then delayed multiple times and turned into a GC title, and was then delayed many times again and turned into a 360 title. Since then, it has been delayed a few more times and Silicon Knights filed suit against Epic for issues over UE3.0.

Talk about the worst development cycle.