By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple iPhone 15 Pro Will Have Console Games (RE4R, RE Village, Assassin's Creed, DS)

LurkerJ said:
SvennoJ said:

Ahh nice, didn't know they had trial periods.

Final Cut Pro adds CAD 399, but perhaps it's worth it. It has a trial as well and import for M2TS files. I'm tired of video editing software crashing on my laptop or hanging while trying to edit. One day it works, then there's an update and it doesn't work anymore.

Apple is pretty bad with pricing though, CAD 500 for 16GB ram extra, ouch. However their stuff retains its value over time.

Plenty time to decide (and save up), just not going to buy another Windows laptop. It was due replacement last year but I held off for NVidea to come to their senses.

How much video editing do you do? Mac has iMovie built in, you don't need to pay for that one, loads of tutorial on Youtube on how to use it and "pro-like" touches, you'd be surprised how many YouTube channels get by using iMovie only. 

If you want a bit more from your video editing software, Lumafusion is 30 dollars, buy once, use everywhere (iPhone, iPad, Mac) and it has great reviews and many free tutorials. It's available on Android too. Going forward, this is the type of software that I will only support. Apple pulled some stinky BS with releasing Final Cut Pro separately on the iPad and charging for it separately, it works differently and one is clearly built with "touch-first" mindset, but still, I will not support this. 

The other great built in universal software is Shortcuts, FaceTime, iWork, Notes, Mail, Safari and Spotlight.

I worship Spotlight. FaceTime is actually cross-platform as well, I don't need another video calling app because I can send a link to non-Apple devices and start a video or an audio call without them installing any apps. Shortcuts is incredibly powerful and people do all sorts of crazy things with it. Apple Pencil support on Notes and Pages is...... magical  

I used MS Office heavily on Windows, and I had an active subscription going, not just for Word/Excel, but because the built-in Mail app in Windows is a complete joke and preferred Outlook. When I switched, I thought I was going to use Pages/Numbers/Keynote until I hit a brick wall and start paying for MS Office again, and I am confident now that brick wall doesn't exist, if anything, to me personally, it will be a downgrade to go back to and pay for Office. 

Yes, Apple's RAM and Storage upgrades prices are robbery, and I never thought I'd buy a MacBook just because of this, however, the built in apps, the smooth performance despite my iPad/iPhone being more than 5 years old, the added value of owning more Apple devices, and the long-term software support my broken iPhone 7 (2016) and my iPad Pro (2018) have received is positively mind-changing and won me over. 

Loads of updates, apps and features keep coming and haven't impacted the perfomance of either device, iWork has just received a massive update yesterday. My broken iPhone 7 runs circles around my Galaxy S10+ that has 8 GB of RAM and release in 2019. My Galaxy is hiccupy, glitchy, stutter-y, and didn't receive as many updates as my iPhone.

I also am shocked how polished and smooth Stage Manager is running on my iPad on the newly release iPadOS17. We got the Freeform app last year for free, which is a please surprise, it's only problem is that COVID19 is behind us The iPad mouse support made ZERO sense to me when it was first implemented and I agreed with Linus (from LinusTechTips) and thought it was stupid and goes against the iPad's vision, but a year after, Apple baked in Universal Control for both MacOS and iPadOS (which requires a mouse) and I now can't live without it! 

Obviously, there are glaring flaws in the MacBook experience, gaming is an unfunny joke for a laptop you pay this much for, upgrading anything is impossible, you can get a laptop for half the price and play every game under the sun, and I haven't found a good replacement for PDF Xchange that I used on Windows, although, the universal PDF Expert is getting there... so slowly Windows has tons of software that you will not find on the Mac. In no way I am saying Mac or iPhone are better than Windows or Android, but they are better for me personally. 

Can you not get the iPad mini from the USA? I thought you could walk to there

You don't really need the 16 gb of RAM, have a look at YouTubers pushing the base 8gb RAM model, and get higher storage with external USB-C SSD later. I only suggested the 16 gb I think it may help with some gaming and future proofing, the base Mac mini model at 599$ is great value and a no brainer for a student at 499$ to try for 2 weeks and decide if it suits you. I'd even get it used or refurbished, scruffs and scratches doesn't matter as much if it isn't a laptop. You absolutely don't want to pay the Apple Tax and end up regretting it, which is likely to happen for any long-time Windows user. 

I'm not doing any video editing atm, but when I was still going at it I like to merge clips a lot and use 8 tracks or more with separate sound tracks. Most programs are ok with 2 to 4 tracks, yet get very slow if you add more, especially with time compression layers on top. I'm into time lapses and creating stuff like this

Starts with synchronized pip views then switches to merged clips to create a continuous track out of tons of clips.

I'll check out you suggestions, thanks!

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Radek said:

Tegra X2 was announced in August 2016, I think Sony could have used it if they planned a handheld for 2017 release, probably end of 2017 not March though.

Or not underclocked the x1.  But it doesn't matter.  Switch didn't need to be the best visuals just like the switch 2 doesn't.  

So not underclocking X1 would have made it significantly more powerful? Because that’s the premise of the entire argument, Zeldaring is using the logic that Sony likes powerful hardware while Nintendo releases weak hardware therefore a theoretical PSP3 in 2017 would be much stronger than Switch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Chrkeller said:

Or not underclocked the x1.  But it doesn't matter.  Switch didn't need to be the best visuals just like the switch 2 doesn't.  

So not underclocking X1 would have made it significantly more powerful? Because that’s the premise of the entire argument, Zeldaring is using the logic that Sony likes powerful hardware while Nintendo releases weak hardware therefore a theoretical PSP3 in 2017 would be much stronger than Switch.

No idea what "much" means.  It is a generic term.  I don't think expecting Sony to push power more than Nintendo is exactly a crazy opinion.  Doesn't matter because software makes the hardware, not the other way around.  

Edit

Xbox, one x and series x were all the most powerful if their respective generation and none them sold amazingly well.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 23 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zorg1000 said:

No idea what "much" means.  It is a generic term.  I don't think expecting Sony to push power more than Nintendo is exactly a crazy opinion.  Doesn't matter because software makes the hardware, not the other way around.  

And that’s exactly what I’m trying to peg down, Zeldaring is using the logic that in 2004 PSP was significantly more powerful than DS and in 2011 was Vita significantly more powerful than 3DS therefore in 2017 PSP3 would be significantly more powerful than Switch.

How much more powerful? How would they accomplish this? Could a device with a similar size, price & battery life be able to have a similar gap in power as 3DS & Vita or would it be more like the difference between PS4 & XBO?

Instead of any details, I get answers like “they would come up with a great idea!”

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Chrkeller said:

And that’s exactly what I’m trying to peg down, Zeldaring is using the logic that in 2004 PSP was significantly more powerful than DS and in 2011 was Vita significantly more powerful than 3DS therefore in 2017 PSP3 would be significantly more powerful than Switch.

How much more powerful? How would they accomplish this? Could a device with a similar size, price & battery life be able to have a similar gap in power as 3DS & Vita or would it be more like the difference between PS4 & XBO?

Instead of any details, I get answers like “they would come up with a great idea!”

Fair enough.  I would suspect gaps in mobile hardware would be quite small.  Heck in home consoles it is getting small.  I'm building a PC and it will be quite pricey to significantly beat out a ps5.  At this point panel quality has more impact than chipsets, imho.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

This thread is a mess. It's getting locked. Anyone is welcome to try another attempt at it.
Some suggestions
1) No posting just images. That isn't how a discussing works.
2) No calling people children/child/insulting people. Not going to fly either.
3) That includes calling people alts etc.

You are bound to love Earthbound.