Pac-Man 42 76.36%

Rally X 0 0%

Zork 1 0 0%

Rogue 5 9.09%

Adventure 1 1.82%

Other (please specify) 3 5.45%

Total:55
SvennoJ said:

I ended up writing my own Pac-Man on MSX with a twist that pills are ammo which you can fire at ghosts, instead of them running away. It was one of my first coding projects and I hadn't got into multi tasking yet, so everything paused while the bullet was flying until it either hit a ghost or wall. Drawing out all the animations on graph paper, to then convert to hexadecimal sprites was a lot of work.

Why did you chose an MSX as a home computer in the 1980s? Wasn't it quite exotic in Europe compared to Commodore (C64 and Amiga), Atari (400/800 and ST), Amstrad CPC and Sinclair ZX Spectrum or Apple II in the US?

Around the Network
Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

I ended up writing my own Pac-Man on MSX with a twist that pills are ammo which you can fire at ghosts, instead of them running away. It was one of my first coding projects and I hadn't got into multi tasking yet, so everything paused while the bullet was flying until it either hit a ghost or wall. Drawing out all the animations on graph paper, to then convert to hexadecimal sprites was a lot of work.

Why did you chose an MSX as a home computer in the 1980s? Wasn't it quite exotic in Europe compared to Commodore (C64 and Amiga), Atari (400/800 and ST), Amstrad CPC and Sinclair ZX Spectrum or Apple II in the US?

My dad worked for Philips at the time, he bought a Phillips made MSX for us. I was 10 at the time.

My nephews had C64 and later NES.

Cool, I wish I had family buying me computer/gaming hardware back then.