By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When do you think the Switch Successor will release?

Will the Switch successor launch in 2024?

Yes 3 75.00%

No 1 25.00%

Total:4
zorg1000 said:

I can’t believe we’re over 6 years into Switch’s life and still having arguments over whether it’s a hybrid/mobile/home console. We have a guy talking about how it’s “factually not a hybrid” when the word hybrid literally just means combining aspects of two things and it absolutely does that.

It has a battery, screen and controllers that attach so you can play on the go and it has a dock, cables and controllers that separate so you can play on a TV.

The other thing that seems to be getting overlooked is that it’s the entire point of the device. Everything is included right out of the box and the marketing is focused on it, it’s not like other devices listed previously that either require separate accessories or it’s an afterthought.

The other major thing is the software, the handheld and console development teams at Nintendo were merged together and Switch gets the handheld centric titles along with the marquee home console experiences.

It’s a hybrid!

Well said.  Not only is it a hybrid but a successful one at that, probably because it satisfies both mobile and home gamers.  

I assume we all agree Nintendo goes with a simple Switch 2 as their next console?  I don't see the moving from what clearly is working for them.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 30 July 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Well said.  Not only is it a hybrid but a successful one at that, probably because it satisfies both mobile and home gamers.  

I assume we all agree Nintendo goes with a simple Switch 2 as their next console?  I don't see the moving from what clearly is working for them.

Factually not a Hybrid though, It's a handheld with a dock accessory.

Nintendo even lists the dock as an accessory on their website: https://www.nintendo.com.au/nintendo-switch-family/accessories

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

Nintendo even lists the dock as an accessory on their website: https://www.nintendo.com.au/nintendo-switch-family/accessories

Nintendo also refers to it as a Hybrid and the Switch Lite as a 'dedicated handheld'. So it's very weird to use them as a source then ignore the most pertinent thing they have to say about the system that they designed.

psychicscubadiver said:
Pemalite said:

Nintendo also refers to it as a Hybrid and the Switch Lite as a 'dedicated handheld'. So it's very weird to use them as a source then ignore the most pertinent thing they have to say about the system that they designed.

I'm using it as a source, not for my sake, but to make the counter arguments of "Nintendo says it's a Hybrid, so therefore it is a hybrid" argument.

Fact is though, it's still an accessory to a Handheld.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
psychicscubadiver said:

I'm using it as a source, not for my sake, but to make the counter arguments of "Nintendo says it's a Hybrid, so therefore it is a hybrid" argument.

Fact is though, it's still an accessory to a Handheld.

And controllers are accessories to consoles.  Doesn't mean my ps5 isn't a videogame machine because reasons.

At the end of the day people don't agree with your opinion.  You really shouldn't be this triggered.  Let it go.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

You can’t be serious, are you?

It has a disclaimer stating that docks come bundled and extra ones are for playing on different TVs without having to unplug and move everything. Another reason would be if you break the one that comes bundled.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

“A video game console is an electronic devicethat outputs a video signal or image to display a video game that can be played with a game controller. These may be home consoles, which are generally placed in a permanent location connected to a television or other display devices and controlled with a separate game controller, or handheld consoles, which include their own display unit and controller functions built into the unit and which can be played anywhere. Hybrid consoles combine elements of both home and handheld consoles.“

Just because you keep using the word factually doesn’t make you right.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Was expecting a discussion about the Switch successor but we still on whether or not a switch is a hybrid?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

When describing the term hybrid console, would you say that Switch is

a) a portable console that can be docked
b) a home console that can be undocked and carried with you

numberwang said:

When describing the term hybrid console, would you say that Switch is

a) a portable console that can be docked
b) a home console that can be undocked and carried with you

c) a device designed to seamlessly play on the TV or on the go.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Was expecting a discussion about the Switch successor but we still on whether or not a switch is a hybrid?

Yep, we’re still arguing about things that should have been settled 6+ years ago