By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

Concord Beta numbers tell that the game is DOA. Maybe Sony will learn to not make more Gaas shit esp an obvious trend chaser ripping off popular things from several years ago. Not wanting anyone to lose jobs either.

Last edited by Leynos - on 22 July 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Concord Beta numbers tell that the game is DOA. Maybe Sony will learn to not make more Gaas shit esp an obvious trend chaser ripping off popular things from several years ago.

Well, the studio that's making Concord, as well as the one making Fairgame$, were bought by Sony specifically for them to make GaaS titles.

So as long as they're the ones making it and not the main studios, like Insomniac and ND dropped their GaaS ambitions to focus on their strengths, then I think it should be fine.

Sony doesn't seem to know what to do with Bend, so they're really the only other core traditionally single player studio making a GaaS title currently. 

There's no going back for MLB: The Show and Gran Turismo though lol. But as long as Sony can get 1 or 2 more Helldivers 2 level successes, then I'm sure they'll see the huge GaaS investments as worth it.

The industry is so fucked. It sucks.

Anyone playing Elden Ring and got to the end of the DLC? I'm looking to collect a handful of items on a single character so I can dick around and collect every item on a single character. I have everything except:

Ansbach's Set:
Wise Man's Mask
Ansbach's Attire
Ansbach's Manchettes
Ansbach's Boots

Thiollier's Set:
Thiollier's Mask
Thiollier's Garb
Thiollier's Gloves
Thiollier's Trousers

St Trina's Blossom
Finger Robe

And for Weapons/Talismans/Ashes of War, I still need:

OBsidian Lamina (Reaper/Scythe)
Thiollier's Hidden Needle (Fists)
Ansbach's Longbow (Bow)
Golden Lion Shield (Shield)
Retaliatory Crossed Tree (Talisman)
Lacerating Crossed Tree (Talisman)
St. Trina's Smile (Talisman)
Swift Slash (Ash of War)
All of them are linked to quest lines I messed up.

If anyone has these items I'd LOVE to borrow them so I can dupe them and give them back to you!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Concord Beta numbers tell that the game is DOA. Maybe Sony will learn to not make more Gaas shit esp an obvious trend chaser ripping off popular things from several years ago. Not wanting anyone to lose jobs either.

Sounds like you don't care if ppl lose their jobs tbqh. Sony isn't going to stop exploring live service games since they need that sort of content to supplement what their main studios are outputting.

and fwiw, Concord is pretty unique in how it handles it's meta game, very unlike what other shooters are doing. But marketing has been bad for the game. Hopefully it has a decent launch and can build an audience over time. 

twintail said:
Leynos said:

Sounds like you don't care if ppl lose their jobs tbqh. Sony isn't going to stop exploring live service games since they need that sort of content to supplement what their main studios are outputting.

and fwiw, Concord is pretty unique in how it handles it's meta game, very unlike what other shooters are doing. But marketing has been bad for the game. Hopefully it has a decent launch and can build an audience over time. 

I don't want jobs lost but gaas like this needs to stop. No the game is DoA. beta numbers. Twitch views. Preorder rank. YT dislikes are not painting a good picture. Yes, normal people pay for fuckwad executive decisions. My best friend was one of the thousands laid off last year from the industry(On his Honeymoon no less). MLB games and was managed by a hire from nepotism. Nepotism idiot wanted everyone to use Alienware workstations. No shock they kept breaking down.   My buddy went to work for the post office and they treated him better. However, he is still doing indie projects.

Last edited by Leynos - on 22 July 2024

Leynos said:

They already learned that lesson dude lol. They canceled 6 of the 12 services in the making when Bungie fumbled in 2023, Concord is one of the 5 left after Helldivers, they freed Insomniac and ND from making services, Ryan is out, they are putting all the marketing money on Astro Bot. Will they make more services in the future? Of course they will keep trying but the all in on services is done and Concord will only double down the decision.

One thing about "ripping off" games is that basically all successful services do that. LoL to DOTA, Mobile Legends to LoL, Fortnite to PUBG, Valorant is probably the successful game that most fits in your description because it's pretty new and it ripped off CS a 24 yo game. Innovation in services doesn't happen that much, probably the most meaningful was autobattlers back in 2019 when DOTA chess was peaking, the devs didn't want to work with Valve, made Auto Chess with a chinese company and RIOT ripped off the concept in under a year and released TFT.

Now, something funny could happen about this. The game from HAVEN that I don't remember it's name but it's a pretty terrible name will be a rip off of PAYDAY and PAYDAY 3 was terrible so the market is already pent up, they could release that desire for more PAYDAY with that game but only with the correct choices in the overall presentation of the game.

Leynos said:
twintail said:

I don't want jobs lost but gaas like this needs to stop. No the game is DoA. beta numbers. Twitch views. Preorder rank. YT dislikes are not painting a good picture. Yes, normal people pay for fuckwad executive decisions. My best friend was one of the thousands laid off last year from the industry(On his Honeymoon no less). MLB games and was managed by a hire from nepotism. Nepotism idiot wanted everyone to use Alienware workstations. No shock they kept breaking down.   My buddy went to work for the post office and they treated him better. However, he is still doing indie projects.

Just don't play it, dude. IT's not that hard. It's not like the company making it is doing this instead of  Sly Cooper or something. 

The medium as a whole is immensely diverse. There's plenty of room for you to only play like 5% of all the games that come out and still be overwhelmed. I don't like FPS games all that much, or online games or most JRPGs or sports games or most racing games or most puzzle games or any Live services....but I still can't keep up. People playing Concord and Helldivers and League of Legends and World of Warcraft and Call of Duty and Fifa isn't making games like Elden ring or God of War or Tears of the Kingdom go away. 

You don't have to wish for the entire genre/style to go away just because it doesn't appeal to you. You can just...not play it and move on with your life. The number of live services or games with microtransactions/etc is actually really low...they're just generally quite popular and therefore get a lot of attention. But again, you don't have to play these games if you don't like the models. I don't like them either....so I'm just going through Elden Ring and Tears of the Kingdom and FFVII Rebirth and Baldur's Gate III and so many other games instead. Because there are options. Many people love MMOs and Live Services. I am not one of them. There's plenty of room in the medium to cater to both of us. you don't need to try to invalidate an entire style of game. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

This looks lowkey sick!!