By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Swinging to Spider-Man 2

gtotheunit91 said:
twintail said:

It's not. 

I don't think Sony/ ND can afford a bad launch, so a re-evaluation of certain creative decisions makes sense. 

Not having the kind of content needed to retain players is a pretty big concern. One that can potentially go back to the drawing board for since the biggest point of a live-service is keeping players. If the biggest aspect of a GaaS can’t even do that, then it’s beyond the concern of certain creative decisions. 

The hardcore fanbase will certainly be there, but the high quality standards ND has, I imagine they’ll need a good chunk of casuals to keep the investment going for years and years. So the gameplay and reward loop has to be top notch. 

How do you know that ND is having a content problem? That seems like quite the assumption on your part. 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

People should be happy we now have a bungie preventing these multiplayers gamed to suck and make sony lose a shit ton of money. Do you want sony to release turds like that avengers game ? Gaas games need some speciall qualities to not just release and die and bungie are experts.

Yeah pretty much. Not exactly what the concern is here: Bungie was bought to help with live service titles for Sony. Seem like they're doing their job. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Not having the kind of content needed to retain players is a pretty big concern. One that can potentially go back to the drawing board for since the biggest point of a live-service is keeping players. If the biggest aspect of a GaaS can’t even do that, then it’s beyond the concern of certain creative decisions. 

The hardcore fanbase will certainly be there, but the high quality standards ND has, I imagine they’ll need a good chunk of casuals to keep the investment going for years and years. So the gameplay and reward loop has to be top notch. 

How do you know that ND is having a content problem? That seems like quite the assumption on your part. 

While true overall, it’s all speculation as to what’s actually going on, but if the report is true that it’s a player retention issue, then it’s a content issue in 1 of 2 ways.

Either the content that’s there doesn’t have a satisfying gameplay/rewards loop (which would require to go back to the drawing board) or there just isn’t enough overall content to keep players interested. Ala Halo Infinite lol.

Both gameplay and rewards, such as cosmetics, are considered content in live-service games. And ND will need to nail both of these key aspects in order to be successful. And having played thousands of hours of Destiny over the years till 2021, I very much know what Bungie thinks are keys to successful live services because they’re vocal about that. 

EDIT: I typed this out on mobile and messed up the quote

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 27 May 2023

There's been a lot of assumptions on what might have been the issue with Naughty Dog's game was.

I've seen the game must have been bad in some fashion, or Naughty Dog is too slow to make content for that kind of game.

Based on what the article said, the latter is probably a lot more accurate. 

The critical part of a live service title is that people are playing it on some kind of regular fashion. That might mean playing a few hours a month at least for years. By comparison, Naughty Dog has specialized in making fantastic 10-20 hour experiences. They do make good multiplayer, but it's not the core of what they do. But largely they make the anti-live service game. A live service game probably shouldn't even have Naughty Dog's level of polish, it doesn't seem particularly feasible to do so.

If you tried to make like a 12 hour co-op experience as a live service title, that just won't work. Unless Naughty Dog was able to push them out on like a monthly basis or something. 

Naughty Dog's game might have been absolutely fantastic, but if it doesn't drive people to play for months on end, then it doesn't fit their goals.  

On a side note, I'm very curious about Naughty Dog's other "projects". Thought it was pretty interesting that they had it as plural. 

- Uncharted

- The Last of Us 2 PC

- The Last of Us 3

- New IP

I'm kind of leaning towards TLOU3, and a new IP in the works. The former is heavily rumored, and the latter seems to be suggested at pretty hard.

Uncharted is pretty rumored as well, but it sounds like it is being farmed out basically. 

Leynos said:

You know what? After firing up Diablo 3 for the first time in 8 years on PS5. This game is still damn fun. Maybe not top-of-the-line visuals but it plays great still. Made me fire up Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast (which is also a great Diablo-like with a little Souls pre-Souls)

Maybe after my Final Fantasy playthroughs, I will finally try Diablo.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Leynos said:

You know what? After firing up Diablo 3 for the first time in 8 years on PS5. This game is still damn fun. Maybe not top-of-the-line visuals but it plays great still. Made me fire up Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast (which is also a great Diablo-like with a little Souls pre-Souls)

If you do, I highly recommend starting with the Diablo 2 remake! D3 is a lot of fun, but its arcadey, art direction is cartooney, story was all over the place, and it never did recapture the (dark) magic that made Diablo great in the first place. Still insanely fun, but probably wouldn’t be where I would start. 

the-pi-guy said:
Leynos said:

I have not played 4 yet but given the history of 3 and how these games work. Wait a few years after many updates and expansions. 3 is a great jumping-in point now. Don't need to know anything about previous games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

the-pi-guy said:

On a side note, I'm very curious about Naughty Dog's other "projects". Thought it was pretty interesting that they had it as plural. 

- Uncharted

- The Last of Us 2 PC

- The Last of Us 3

- New IP

I'm kind of leaning towards TLOU3, and a new IP in the works. The former is heavily rumored, and the latter seems to be suggested at pretty hard.

Uncharted is pretty rumored as well, but it sounds like it is being farmed out basically. 

Whatever happened to all those teases of a Sci-Fi/Space themed game, I want that to be the new IP.

BasilZero said:

Whatever happened to all those teases of a Sci-Fi/Space themed game, I want that to be the new IP.

That could happen.

Naughty Dog was teasing the Last of Us in Uncharted 3. 

Savage Starlight could have been a reference to some concepts that someone was working on. 

The other possibility, is this fantasy world that a concept artist at ND was working on.

Eh, had enough of medieval fantasy stuff, there's so many more of it than Sci-Fi/Space themed imo.