By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

Otter said:

It tickles me that Astrobot may go on to sell more than Horizon Forbidden West (8.5m as of last summer) if this early sign of strong legs keeps up 

But it it also brings me back to the fact that Horizon seemed to underperformed and hasn't really been seen in charts post launch window. Sony seems keen on doubling down on it as a flagship franchise, but I think the audience will really stall/decline without some signifcant gameplay and maybe even protagonist innovations. I bought both the first and second installment and I put both down quite early on, intending to return to them later but never quite finding the motivation. Considering Zero Dawn sold 20m, I dare say people saw promise and were wowed initially by the visuals but didn't make strong attachments to the characters or world.

I'm curious what kinds of legs the game has had so far. It's about to fall out of the top 10 in the US on the PS Store, unless physical sales have been strong. Which I hope they are! It would be great if the game made a statement to Sony about games like this. 

Horizon is never getting rid of its "industry plant" allegations I've seen online for a long time now lol. To 2 major releases (both of which were bundled with consoles, thus a portion of its sales being inflated. Especially PS5 version at a time when you couldn't get a PS5 without HFW bundled) that have also since seen re-releases, to a Lego themed game (odd Sony IP choice) to an MMO game that's in development, to a VR release, to one of the Co-Founders of the studio now becoming Co-CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment. It's insane to see how much of a push this franchise has had. While visually and technically brilliant, they didn't resonate with me at all. 

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:

I don't think Sony has much interest in going back into the PS4 gen anymore. The only PS4 games that made their way to PC that weren't previously remastered at their release on PC were God of War, Days Gone, and Horizon Zero Dawn. And those were among the first PC ports. Horizon is now remastered for PS5 and Days Gone for PS5 appears to be next. Grubb is even doubling down on that happening. I wouldn't be surprised if God of War 2018 gets remastered at some point

But Sony does seem focused on PS5 games getting ported going forward. They're still working on finishing up their early PS5 backlog as well as simultaneously working on newer games. Tsushima finally made its way over after several years, and Ragnarök made its way over after less than 2 years. I think that's a good steady combo of releasing an older game along with a somewhat newer game, and then mixing in live service day 1 games as well as I'm guessing remakes going forward like they are with Until Dawn? Either way, that's a pretty steady release schedule when it comes to PC ports.

What will really be interesting is when Sony finally finishes up their backlog and there's more dry spells. 

I would be certain that none of those games are going to get direct ports, but some of them could get remasters/remakes. 

Otter said:

It tickles me that Astrobot may go on to sell more than Horizon Forbidden West (8.5m as of last summer) if this early sign of strong legs keeps up 

But it it also brings me back to the fact that Horizon seemed to underperformed and hasn't really been seen in charts post launch window. Sony seems keen on doubling down on it as a flagship franchise, but I think the audience will really stall/decline without some signifcant gameplay and maybe even protagonist innovations. I bought both the first and second installment and I put both down quite early on, intending to return to them later but never quite finding the motivation. Considering Zero Dawn sold 20m, I dare say people saw promise and were wowed initially by the visuals but didn't make strong attachments to the characters or world.

What indication do we have that Astro Bot is selling that well? 

Horizon FW's sales trajectory isn't unusual. The first game took about 2 years to sell 10m. I think FW has largely been selling in line with the first one. 

With that said, I have thought it was strange seeing Sony go all in on Horizon. There have been successful franchises critically and commercially that haven't gotten a fraction of what Horizon gets. 

Otter said:

But it it also brings me back to the fact that Horizon seemed to underperformed and hasn't really been seen in charts post launch window. Sony seems keen on doubling down on it as a flagship franchise, but I think the audience will really stall/decline without some signifcant gameplay and maybe even protagonist innovations. I bought both the first and second installment and I put both down quite early on, intending to return to them later but never quite finding the motivation. Didn't help that I played I played the first installment immediately after the masterpiece that was Breathe of the Wild. Considering Zero Dawn sold 20m, I dare say people saw promise and were wowed initially by the visuals and art direction but didn't make strong attachments to the characters or the world itself.

This is because Sony experimented with a PS+ Extra a year after release. This obviously knee-capped it's sale potential.

That's really all there is to the lower sales.

It's still very much one of their pillar IPs right now. 

Metaphor demo out now

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Otter said:

We know from the Insomniac leaks that FW was doing as well as ZD launch-aligned until it got added to PS+.

Regardless, I think that's a very high mark for Astrobot to clear, even Crash 4 was at like 5 million the last time we got an update. Coming close to 10 million is very very very hard for any non-Mario platformer.

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:
Otter said:

I'm curious what kinds of legs the game has had so far. It's about to fall out of the top 10 in the US on the PS Store, unless physical sales have been strong. Which I hope they are! It would be great if the game made a statement to Sony about games like this. 

Horizon is never getting rid of its "industry plant" allegations I've seen online for a long time now lol. To 2 major releases (both of which were bundled with consoles, thus a portion of its sales being inflated. Especially PS5 version at a time when you couldn't get a PS5 without HFW bundled) that have also since seen re-releases, to a Lego themed game (odd Sony IP choice) to an MMO game that's in development, to a VR release, to one of the Co-Founders of the studio now becoming Co-CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment. It's insane to see how much of a push this franchise has had. While visually and technically brilliant, they didn't resonate with me at all. 

Yeah, I own both of the games and the VR, but I only got about 3-5 hours into the 2nd one before I quit. Aloy just rubs me the wrong way now, but I really can't explain it very well. And the ubisoft style open-world has become really annoying to me as well. I wish the IP would die so they could create something new or go back to Killzone, but it looks like we are going to be stuck with it for quite awhile.

The remaster video they showed yesterday DID look amazing, though. I wish I liked the gameplay more.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Ooooof. I guess Sony is anticipating some additional sales after yesterday's HZD remaster announcement. The Complete Edition on PS4 doubled in price from $20 to $40.

G2ThaUNiT said:

Ooooof. I guess Sony is anticipating some additional sales after yesterday's HZD remaster announcement. The Complete Edition on PS4 doubled in price from $20 to $40.

It makes sense, otherwise a $20 PS4 game + $10 upgrade, is a lot cheaper than a $50 game. 

Last edited by the-pi-guy - 3 days ago

Driveclub would have benefited so much on PC.

Such a shame...

(Goes back to playing my 97+ hour playthrough on PS5 lol)

G2ThaUNiT said:

TloU2 Remaster was the 2nd best selling new release in the UK until at least July (probably still true through August).

There'll be ppl buying this.