By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

haxxiy said:

So, just beat GoW Ragnarök. It was a huge gap in my backlog since GoW 2018 was like in my top 20 last year I think? A few thoughts about the game:

* Kratos/Atreus moments are still amazing and very well acted.
* Graphics are fantastic, especially contrasting with FFVII Rebirth's performance mode, which I also played recently.
* Combat overall is better with even more enemy variety than GoW 2018. On the other hand...
* Plot is a little too unfocused. Too much sidetracking that could have been used for better buildup of some later stuff.
* Related to the above, pacing isn't as good as GoW 2018, and some things feel padded out a bit.

Overall I'd give it maybe an 8.5/10.

I can see why pacing would be an issue, as some of the Atreus sections hurt the momentum of the story for me, but I feel like the last act could've been padded out a lot more. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 28 February 2024

Around the Network

Is it just me, or does Sony have some really good PS+ months early in the year? I feel like its been a trend for the last couple of years.

You guys ready for ff rebirth?

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

You guys ready for ff rebirth?

Totally.

PotentHerbs said:

Is it just me, or does Sony have some really good PS+ months early in the year? I feel like its been a trend for the last couple of years.

For sure. Enjoying Rollerdrome. Will Def play through Sifu.

Around the Network

The layoffs are frustrating. I hope that things will start to settle. This year doesn't look like a very strong one. 

The layoffs are pretty devastating, and I don't think it would be good for morale for there to be more.

There's also long term issues. You can't just cut members of your team, and expect that development will continue as expected. Shutting down another studio or two might be a way to shore up short term profit margins, but at the same time, it also just wouldn't be a good thing long term.

I don't particularly think Sony makes enough game as it is, and there was a leaked presentation that suggested that Sony agreed with that. 

There are all these contradictory goals. 

You can't make enough games, while making increasingly massive expensive games, while making games that increasingly take years to put out, while making huge profits. 

So far Sony is doing fine, those games are making money. But there's going to be a limit. 
Something has to give.

Either get more studios, make more smaller titles. Accept that you can't make enough games, and potentially lose market share. A few other options in there too. 

PotentHerbs said:

I can see why pacing would be an issue, as some of the Atreus sections hurt the momentum of the story for me, but I feel like the last act could've been padded out a lot more. 

Oh, I agree - there's a lot of earlier stuff that could have been made shorter to give Ragnarok/Sif/Thor, etc. more time to shine.

Or maybe have done a trilogy of slightly shorter (say, 20h instead of 25h+) games.

Rebirth in quality mode is stunning

the-pi-guy said:

The layoffs are frustrating. I hope that things will start to settle. This year doesn't look like a very strong one. 

The layoffs are pretty devastating, and I don't think it would be good for morale for there to be more.

There's also long term issues. You can't just cut members of your team, and expect that development will continue as expected. Shutting down another studio or two might be a way to shore up short term profit margins, but at the same time, it also just wouldn't be a good thing long term.

I don't particularly think Sony makes enough game as it is, and there was a leaked presentation that suggested that Sony agreed with that. 

There are all these contradictory goals. 

You can't make enough games, while making increasingly massive expensive games, while making games that increasingly take years to put out, while making huge profits. 

So far Sony is doing fine, those games are making money. But there's going to be a limit. 
Something has to give.

Either get more studios, make more smaller titles. Accept that you can't make enough games, and potentially lose market share. A few other options in there too. 

I'd imagine this is why they partner with other studios for content, even if it's just for marketing purposes.

But they really do need to embrace AA budget games more.

dane007 said:

Rebirth in quality mode is stunning

I also play in fidelity mode.

That game is fantastic so far.