By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

PotentHerbs said:

There's rumors of Microsoft porting Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush to PlayStation and Switch.

More and more rumours have been swirling around MS exclusive strategy this past month too much noise from multiple sources to ignore.

2024 is going to be an interesting year. MS has invested $80 Billion in software acquisitions and considering how the Xbox is selling it doesn't surprise me they are considering, or actively starting to, branch out to other consoles.

They have a ton of resources and money in software now and heavily underperforming hardware. The hardware business isn't worth sacrificing the software business considering the acquisitions and the performance of their console.

Around the Network

HiFi Rush 50/50.

No interest in Sea of Thieves.

I still wish Rare Replay was released on Switch.

The rumor states backlog of xbox games, could be previous generations - Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey need to be remastered/ported over lol

BasilZero said:

The rumor states backlog of xbox games, could be previous generations - Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey need to be remastered/ported over lol

It would be nice to get the older titles, I want Sony to do the same and release games like the Ratchet/Sly/Jak remaster trilogies on PC but doesn't seem like it will happen.

I think a more likely scenario for these Xbox backlog games right now is similar to what Sony do with PC. We may start seeing Xbox games launch on Xbox+PC and then move to other platforms 1-3 years later.

A user on Neogaf called SneakersSO who claims to have inside knowledge said the following on December 14th. "I now know of several projects that are being developed and ported to PS/Switch 2." and then when asked whether he mean XGS/Bethesda/Acti games he said all 3. Well now just a few weeks since then we have had both an XGS title (Sea of Thieves) and a Bethesda title (Hi-Fi Rush) rumoured from other sources as being ported. Now I wonder if his other comments have any credibility.

"I know of several high-profile Bethesda titles whose port work started up a few months ago. I also have some knowledge on ABK in general, and not a single project that was in dev, or that has gotten an initial approval to have an exploratory milestone achieved, has had a single discussion on exclusivity. I also now know of several titles that fall squarely under XGS, titles that have yet to be announced, that now are doing PS/Xbox/Switch 2 development."

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 08 January 2024

DonFerrari said:

There are even rumors for Starfield

Todd Howard appearing at the next PlayStation Showcase to announce a PS5 version of Starfield would be wild. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 09 January 2024

G2ThaUNiT said:

Not sure where you heard Sea of Thieves, but Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment I've definitely heard of potentially being ported. Both great games though!

Microsoft historically has ported several of their AA games. Both Ori titles, soon to be As Dusk Falls next month, The Bard's Tale Remastered as several notable examples. 

EDIT: Oh, I see Jeff Grubb mentioning Sea of Thieves! That would be interesting. It's definitely Rare's biggest game ever and Microsoft's arguably best current live service. I can see them expanding a userbase through their biggest live service. 

Microsoft potentially porting Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush is a major shift in their business strategy and allegedly just the start. As Dusk Falls is a recent port, and falls under this new philosophy as well. 

These games coming over to PlayStation already makes a comparison like Ori completely different. It certainly didn't drum up confusion and ambiguity for their core fanbase either. 

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:

It would be nice to get the older titles, I want Sony to do the same and release games like the Ratchet/Sly/Jak remaster trilogies on PC but doesn't seem like it will happen.

I think a more likely scenario for these Xbox backlog games right now is similar to what Sony do with PC. We may start seeing Xbox games launch on Xbox+PC and then move to other platforms 1-3 years later.

A user on Neogaf called SneakersSO who claims to have inside knowledge said the following on December 14th. "I now know of several projects that are being developed and ported to PS/Switch 2." and then when asked whether he mean XGS/Bethesda/Acti games he said all 3. Well now just a few weeks since then we have had both an XGS title (Sea of Thieves) and a Bethesda title (Hi-Fi Rush) rumoured from other sources as being ported. Now I wonder if his other comments have any credibility.

"I know of several high-profile Bethesda titles whose port work started up a few months ago. I also have some knowledge on ABK in general, and not a single project that was in dev, or that has gotten an initial approval to have an exploratory milestone achieved, has had a single discussion on exclusivity. I also now know of several titles that fall squarely under XGS, titles that have yet to be announced, that now are doing PS/Xbox/Switch 2 development."

I can see both Sony and MS doing that, remastering on their own consoles (and eventually porting them over to PC) of classic titles - they'll eventually run out of games to port lol.

Hi fi rush was they already have a built like 90% done for ps5, sea of thieves will probably flop, i cant see ps fanbase liking it. Microsoft going third party is probably a reality no far away.

PotentHerbs said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Not sure where you heard Sea of Thieves, but Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment I've definitely heard of potentially being ported. Both great games though!

Microsoft historically has ported several of their AA games. Both Ori titles, soon to be As Dusk Falls next month, The Bard's Tale Remastered as several notable examples. 

EDIT: Oh, I see Jeff Grubb mentioning Sea of Thieves! That would be interesting. It's definitely Rare's biggest game ever and Microsoft's arguably best current live service. I can see them expanding a userbase through their biggest live service. 

Microsoft potentially porting Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush is a major shift in their business strategy and allegedly just the start. As Dusk Falls is a recent port, and falls under this new philosophy as well. 

These games coming over to PlayStation already makes a comparison like Ori completely different. It certainly didn't drum up confusion and ambiguity for their core fanbase either. 

Yeah, which tbf, with Nintendo and Sony selling 2-3x more consoles than Xbox if not more, which most likely Xbox as a console will never recover from at this point, they kinda had to change their business strategy. It started already with putting games on PC day one for all first party games. 

This was from the FTC case where MS kinda lays out what their plan is

So they could be heading towards a path of

Niche - Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment, As Dusk Falls, etc - Multiplatform (maybe not at launch, but a year after launch)
AAA Single Player
- Avowed, Fable, Hellblade 2, etc - Console Exclusive
GAAS/Live Service - Call of Duty, Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, etc - Multiplatform

The fanbase is definitely confused from a console warring perspective, but considering that niche games don't sell consoles and live service games live and die on a large playerbase, it makes the most business sense to have Niche and GAAS titles be multiplatform. 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Hi fi rush was they already have a built like 90% done for ps5, sea of thieves will probably flop, i cant see ps fanbase liking it. Microsoft going third party is probably a reality no far away.

What makes the Xbox and PC community different to the PS community? Lol. Not sure why you think Sea of Thieves will flop when it has been very successful on both Xbox and PC and highly rated in recent times. Unless PlayStation gamers hate multiplayer titles, Lol. I mean, there's still nothing out there like Sea of Thieves, some will hate it, some will like it, but I don't think it even has a direct competitor in the way some other games do, I could see it doing millions on PlayStation easily.

No interest in Sea of Thieves. Prefer SP games and esp don't like GaaS titles. I'd get Hi-Fi Rush again tho.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!