By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Angelus said:

I found it very interesting in that interview that he said that Starfield was in an earlier phase of production when MS acquired Bethesda than Redfall was

Caught my attention too.

Not sure if it's worth reading too much into though since Starfield will have like triple the amount of support on it than Redfall did so it may be earlier in production than Redfall but ultimately be able to finish quicker than Redfall's production thanks to the sheer support behind it.

I think Todd actually commented on this before that Bethesda projects have a near equal amount of pre-production/production, I want to say that he said 2 years pre-production and 2 years production but I can't remember exactly. He definitely implied that their production tends to be different to others.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
Angelus said:

I found it very interesting in that interview that he said that Starfield was in an earlier phase of production when MS acquired Bethesda than Redfall was

I guess BGS likes to keep their games super early in development to get absolutely everything planned out before actually working on it?

That'd be weird though considering there were all those leaked screenshots from a 2018 build. Then again, they did simultaneously do a completely overhaul on their engine alongside development of Starfield. 

Lol beat me to it but I swear I've heard this before about Bethesda from Todd himself.

Angelus said:

Basically confirms the rumors that Starfield saw a reboot when they switched it from Creation Engine 1 to the Creation Engine 2 that they had designed for TES 6, I believe the rumor is that that reboot happened in 2018. There is no possible way that the game began development in 2015 like Todd Howard originally claimed, but yet was still in an earlier state of development than Redfall, which began development in 2018, 3 years later, by the time Xbox acquired Zenimax in 2021. Redfall would have only been in development for 2.5 years when the acquisition closed, compared to Starfield supposedly having been in development for 5.3 years at that point. Definitely seems like it did indeed get rebooted when the engine switch happened. Jason Schreier previously alluded to the reboot as well, suggested that the current build of Starfield didn't begin development until after Fallout 76 released in late 2018.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 04 May 2023

Ryuu96 said:

Basically said as well even if they build great games, the console market share won't change dramatically because they lost in the worst possible gen due to digital libraries becoming mainstream.

Spot on and some people need to learn to accept this. This should relieve people even more though that hardware isn't going anywhere. Microsoft recognises they won't ever come close to PlayStation but are still committed to hardware.

Yes, and also no. See what Nintendo achieved, from worst selling console it its history to reaching the best selling console period. With the same games.

Thought he said it in the Lex interview but I guess not.

Pretty sure he did say that their production schedules tend to be faster than most.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:

Yes, and also no. See what Nintendo achieved, from worst selling console it its history to reaching the best selling console period. With the same games.

I don't think it's hopeless, but Nintendo is a weird case. 

I think they benefit a lot from making a lot of the same games for the past 40 years. They've had a long time to figure out their games, and grow their franchises.  

They also sell a lot on special hardware that I think Sony and MS gamers would be less sold on.  

SKMBlake said:
Ryuu96 said:

Basically said as well even if they build great games, the console market share won't change dramatically because they lost in the worst possible gen due to digital libraries becoming mainstream.

Spot on and some people need to learn to accept this. This should relieve people even more though that hardware isn't going anywhere. Microsoft recognises they won't ever come close to PlayStation but are still committed to hardware.

What you're saying is that Xbox only needs to have a 1st party as strong as Nintendo's and create a completely unique hardware.

I'm gonna start a gofundme to have her cryogenically frozen and then thawed out for the release of Elder Scrolls 6.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

SKMBlake said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yeah, but Nintendo overly relies on their nicheness and gimmicks of their consoles. That's what's responsible for when Nintendo succeeds, and when they fail. You're never going to see another Wii U type console and Nintendo was able to see what did and didn't work with the Wii U and that turned into the Switch.

You're not going to see that kind of risk taking from Sony or Microsoft. The last time both companies tried to do what Nintendo does, we got the Kinect and Move lol

DroidKnight said:

I'm gonna start a gofundme to have her cryogenically frozen and then thawed out for the release of Elder Scrolls 6.

Hopefully her lines and stuff have already been recorded, just record enough lines for the next 10 games, Lol.