By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

Does he play it on his PS5 tho ? The Xbox is nowhere to be seen

Around the Network
havoc00 said:

Analyst Pachter: "The CMA will cave" (Microsoft ABK will still go through)!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDA1tq999CA

Embedded it for you ;) 

Saw this video yesterday, Pachter makes some good points and some more questionable ones.

Sure Pachter has a reputation for missing the mark more often than not but this is a result of his reliance on mostly logic and knowledge of the past with very little insider information.

Here are a few highlights

He compared the CMA approval of Disney + Fox with public intent to create Disney+ and feature content both exclusively and approval of Discovery’s merger with WarnerMedia as a blatant double standard from the CMA regarding MS+ABK with regards to Xcloud and the CAT would have no other choice than apply precedent.  (He mention GamePass in the video but by the context, I think he meant Xcloud)

I'm not sure about this one cause the video-streaming market was more established than the cloud gaming market is now so.... maybe, maybe not.

He mentions that the 2 real holdout of the CMA is MS can raise the price of GamePass, mitigating any customer benefits, and no commitment from MS to support new entrant in the cloud market. Both of these should be/have been easily addressed by MS by committing to not raising prices higher than inflation and highlighting they have no incentive to prevent another player from entering this market. He also alludes that MS already gave those remedies to the CMA but has been overlooked because CMA doesn't grasp the cloud market and general bad lawyering.

He highlights MS could still clause over the CMA simply by carving out a game pass in the UK and argue this satisfies the CMA cloud concern. I guess the CMA will then have to sue MS if they believe MS's resolutions of their concern were not adequate. (Again in mention game pass but I think it's more about Xcloud)

Transcript:"An easy way to do this is to carve out Game Pass in the UK so the prohibition is because the CMA competition of markets Authority said that Microsoft is fine from a console perspective buying Activision. So the deal is fine it is not this double negative not anti-competitive so it doesn't lessen competition, so if it doesn't hassle anybody on the console side close the deal and then carve out GamePass in the UK which is pretty simple. Run game pass as a separate entity then to your heart's content put Activision content on Game Pass everywhere else in the world. Tell UK Gamers you're screwed, you don't get it because your government is stupid and they're hurting you and that's a slam dunk winner for Microsoft in the court of public opinion"

In all cases, he expects the EU to be more relevant to how MS will handle the rest.

Anyway, I'm not sure about everything but it looks to be mostly logical. I don't know how realistic this all is or to what extent it is supported by law/precedent, but imagine the meltdown if MS actually carves out GamePass or Xcloud in UK and closes the deal anyway.

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 03 May 2023

First looks?!? Avowed hype!!!!!

gtotheunit91 said:

The logo reminds me of Avowed...

Around the Network

WE'RE SEEING AVOWED BOIS.

Ryuu96 said:

I dig these stealth announcements.  It's nice to think of an upcoming indie just being a few weeks away.

Avowed - Official Announce Trailer - YouTube

https://youtu.be/W3QkO8fy3tg?t=67

Am I reaching?

Probably!

BUT I BELIEVE.

Ryuu96 said:

Rather pathetic to make a showcase of unfinished games, they should have all their games released already like every other company has.  

Ryuu96 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

The logo reminds me of Avowed...

Hopefully that means it’ll be the big highlight of the showcase. Wouldn’t be the first time Xbox teased the major title in the showcases logo.