By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
aTokenYeti said:

The internet was completely insufferable yesterday so I haven’t posted since the news dropped

Is there even a sliver of hope for salvaging the deal or is this thing good as dead and we should just mentally move on

Mentally move on, the deal is dead.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Angelus said:

Seems pretty obvious at this point. What's odd is that they didn't simply frame it as such when they announced the 30fps only. Bring your customers with you, tell us what happened. Don't just say "game is 30fps only for now."

Not sure if that would really make a difference.  Think about it this way, if they say its a bug, people would still say hold the release until you fix it.  In gamers mind its still an L no matter what but for a business, its money.  I am sure if they are shipping at 30 its one of those bugs that takes a hell of a lot of development time or it would be a day one bug release.  When you do not have a clear understanding how long it will take to reach 60fps and hopefully rock solid which I am going to doubt because most games do not ship with a rock solid 60fps mode.  They probably just have to take that L and make sure the rest of the game performs rock solid at 30fps.  If the game dips a lot and run like crap at 30fps, there is going to be hell to pay with the negative feedback.  They probably pouring all their dev time in making the 30fps rock solid as that needs to be tight.

Obiously, the fanboy reaction will always be the fanboy reaction, but I do think that for reasonable gamers, it makes a difference whether you simply blurt out into the wind "ok this is the way the game launches, c ya..." vs "listen, here's what our plan/intention was, here's what happened, it's unfortunate, but at this point in the process it's too late to pull back the release, we'll work hard to bring you this ASAP once X is resolved, etc."

Completely forgot about the base model.

This is aggressive pricing...

Microsoft should co-market this thing with Asus.

TV Ads for it with a huge focus on Game Pass.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 27 April 2023

Ryuu96 said:
aTokenYeti said:

The internet was completely insufferable yesterday so I haven’t posted since the news dropped

Is there even a sliver of hope for salvaging the deal or is this thing good as dead and we should just mentally move on

I assumed as much but it still sucks. 

you ever watch a sports game where it’s close and exciting, and in the final seconds when one of the players is trying to make a big play to decide the game, a ref or official steps in to end the game on a ticky-tacky and debatable procedural infraction? 

That’s basically what this feels like. Blocking the deal on cloud gaming grounds kind of tells me that something is structurally broken with the CMA wherin they are making sweeping regulatory decisions on markets they know nothing about and seem to choose to know nothing about. 

Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

Mobile version of Windows?

Yeah. Probably.

But it's the Windows team...

Windows memory management just isn't really designed for a gaming handheld device.  There is a lot of stuff running that just not needed on a handheld and how Windows give out resources need to be totally changed.  Why MS has not created a mobile version of windows all this time is a huge miss but at least their engineers see that and hopefully the company get moving forward on stripping out all that gunk in windows to make it a viable mobile platform.

I would not worry too much, It is quite easy to create a custom Windows installation with added/removed features. Also often the worst offenders of memory usage are OEMs pre-installed software. 

Around the Network
aTokenYeti said:
Ryuu96 said:

you ever watch a sports game where it’s close and exciting, and in the final seconds when one of the players is trying to make a big play to decide the game, a ref or official steps in to end the game on a ticky-tacky and debatable procedural infraction? 

That’s basically what this feels like. Blocking the deal on cloud gaming grounds kind of tells me that something is structurally broken with the CMA wherin they are making sweeping regulatory decisions on markets they know nothing about and seem to choose to know nothing about. 

Yeah, the fact that that's the route they chose to block the deal will forever baffle me. Aside from a certain fanbase who seem to be the only ones that believe this was a valid reason. 

MS could've offered Amazon Luna a deal as well but that wouldn't have mattered since CMA's entire argument is that it wouldn't allow new companies to enter the Cloud Gaming market, which how would any startup be able to afford ABK????? Boosteroid and the like sure as hell won't be able to afford them now! 

Not to mention they straight up admit that Google/Apple are a duopoly on the mobile market and felt this deal wouldn't have changed anything lol. So they seem to be okay with that. 

Ryuu96 said:

But how well will Xbox App run on it?

As well as it runs on any PC. It's problems aren't related to specs. I've not had any issues with the app on my current pc. I have had horrific issues in the past, over 2 years ago.

konnichiwa said:
KiigelHeart said:

Heh I don't read other gaming forums or twitter much at all but I can imagine. I don't know why all the doom & gloom though, we have Redfall, Starfield and Forza Motorsport coming this year and plenty of other games on the horizon.

To quote myself from a few days ago:    A Great company is not one that tries to attract and delight consumers with great promises but rather one who delight consumers with continuously delivering great content. 

Your comment is basically a good example, less than a year ago people would almost say the same, '2022 will atleast end great with Redfall and Starfield!! 2023 is going  to be better with so many games on the horizon.'

Almost 3 years in and MS is still stuck in the phase 'lets try to get customers with promises' while the competition is in the 'their is a ton of content and the gaming community can see it' phase

'It would be interesting to know why you believe great content is coming based on the last 10 years of promises?'

All I know is I play my series way more than I do my ps5 and its been like that for over a year and a half now

It's tempting.

I'll make a deal with Microsoft/Asus.

I'll buy one if they make Viva Pinata 3 and I'll play Viva Pinata there.

gtotheunit91 said:
aTokenYeti said:

Yeah, the fact that that's the route they chose to block the deal will forever baffle me. Aside from a certain fanbase who seem to be the only ones that believe this was a valid reason. 

MS could've offered Amazon Luna a deal as well but that wouldn't have mattered since CMA's entire argument is that it wouldn't allow new companies to enter the Cloud Gaming market, which how would any startup be able to afford ABK????? Boosteroid and the like sure as hell won't be able to afford them now! 

Not to mention they straight up admit that Google/Apple are a duopoly on the mobile market and felt this deal wouldn't have changed anything lol. So they seem to be okay with that. 

Agree 100%, I'm not holding my breath for this any longer, I'll still look at MS appeal and CAT judgment. Even if the deal is ultimately handed back to the CMA to decide, the CAT may rebuke some of CMA's reasoning/analyses/conclusions which would be a small victory in and of itself. if it turns out to be the case, the certain fanbase you speak of would certainly have difficulty coping with it.