By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

Something ain't adding up!

Really makes you wonder where Jeff was getting that info. Seems like a weird move to expand a studio that’s not meeting sales expectations 

that is of course unless Jeff is just wrong 

Around the Network
aTokenYeti said:
Ryuu96 said:

Something ain't adding up!

Really makes you wonder where Jeff was getting that info. Seems like a weird move to expand a studio that’s not meeting sales expectations 

that is of course unless Jeff is just wrong 

Wouldn't be the first time

I've been calling for MS to expand Tango and have a JRPG team since they bought them, funnily they started to expand and are rumored to be working on a JRPG. hype

the-pi-guy said:
Spade said:

Do yall think Xbox management should start addressing these rumors? Like the one with Hifi, etc? Does keeping silent actually help, even if they said it wasn't true would people even believe them? Might be a lose lose situation. :/

I don't think there is generally a point to address these kinds of rumors. The people who have heard the rumor in the first place are going to be a small number of enthusiasts. Nothing worth correcting unless it goes much further, particularly if it were affecting their stock, which in this case it certainly wouldn't. 

On the rumor at hand. Grubb frequently shows that he is definitely plugged into the industry. He's frequently the first to announce various showcases.  At the same time, he also often makes guesses that don't even make sense. He's not as accurate as Schreier is. 

Hi-fi Rush would certainly have some kind of sales expectation/engagement expectation. And it certainly could have fallen short of that by some metric even if it was the biggest success they've had in a while. But it seems unlikely they had extremely high expectations. 

I like Grubb and he no doubt has some sources but he often says things in Podcasts which others promote as leaks but then Grubb comes out to clarify it is mostly speculation, Lol. It's why I stopped posting a lot of his "Podcast leaks" because there's a lot of uncertainty around them. Honestly, I feel like a ton of these insiders have very weak "business" sources because I'm often baffled by their takes or leaks. Their sources are in development but often in business stuff things fall apart.

Hi-Fi Rush had to have met some metrics, it did great on Steam (sales-wise), it reviewed brilliantly, it brought some much needed positivity to Xbox, a lot of it, and people were excited for Xbox because of it, then Microsoft fucked their momentum yet again but you can't blame them on Hi-Fi Rush.

I don't buy this rumour at all, it doesn't make sense, even if we assume it didn't meet sales expectations though (they must have been some stupid ones), I think it could still be considered a success to Xbox because it performed its job in multiple other metrics that are important and that Xbox needs, for that reason I would consider it an overall success, Hi-Fi Rush was the most positivity that Xbox had in over a year, Lmao.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 21 April 2023

Blinx the Timesweeper JRPG reboot.

Around the Network

HiFi is in the 200-500k range on SteamSpy. Not exactly mindblowing sales 3 months after release, but it was a day one Gamepass title and a shadow drop. Probably another 100k sales at least on Xbox. If they aren't happy with 300-600k sales after 3 months and 2m+ players on a shadow dropped, lower budget game, their expectations for it were too high most likely. But they also largely have themselves to blame if it did underperform, they shadow dropped it, barely advertised it after release, and there was no physical release, standard or collectors.

As for Grubbins's management comment, would be nice to know which management he is talking about and if it's assumption or an actual source. Is it Phil that is unhappy about Xbox's recent performance, people under him like Booty and the head of Zenimax, or people over him like Satya? And is it an actual source you have Grubb?

I wouldn't be surprised if many at Xbox are unhappy, Gamepass sub growth seems to have slowed a good bit, Xbox lost like 2:1 against PS5 in the US, Xbox's strongest market, this past quarter, and its way worse than that in Europe and Japan and much of ROW, Xbox seems set to lose this gen by an even larger margin than last gen unless things turn around in a big way soon, Xbox and MS can't be happy with that result after all they have done to try and grow the brand the last 5 or 6 years, acquiring several lone studios and Zenimax (and attempting to acquire ABK right now), pushing Gamepass, designing much better hardware than last gen, etc.

If the higher-ups are unhappy, hopefully we see some big changes in the near future. We need better marketing, more 3rd party exclusives and marketing deals, growth into more markets (Xbox console hitting alot of those new PC Gamepass countries), much higher Series X production numbers, the first Series S price cut and/or a killer bundle for it, more limited edition consoles and controllers, etc.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 21 April 2023

ice said:

I've been calling for MS to expand Tango and have a JRPG team since they bought them, funnily they started to expand and are rumored to be working on a JRPG. hype

Be fun if they were working on a JRPG. Not sure about the source though, Lol.

If they were working on a JRPG, I'd assume they'd have to double their size.

Heard from who? Xbox? Bethesda? Lol. Whoever it was, their expectations were too high.

Irrelevant ultimately if we don't know how Microsoft measures success though.

Overblown over nothing, Imo.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 21 April 2023

bro seems annoyed lol they literally quoted what you said, here's a crazy idea, don't speak on something if you don't want attention from it lol

It's funny how much Grubb still doesn't realize how his words carry weight. Idk how he's pretending to be shocked that what he said is trending.