By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I can see Microsoft making deals to bring all their games to the Epic Games Store and GOG next.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:

If the deal *IS* blocked (which eh... whatever), I would hope that this is universally considered as a potential wake-up call for halting new huge mergers & potentially breaking up previously-approved ones.

It makes 0 sense for MS/Acti-Blizz to be singled out and nothing else happens afterwards.

Tbf so far more have approved than those who have attempted to block, Lol.

And by rumours, Europe and China will approve too.

It's just UK and USA (so far) being idiots.

The FTC is picking a fight with absolutely everyone so I'm sure they'll continue to do that whether it makes sense or not and continue to waste their limited budget which I expect will be curb stomped soon, Lol.

The CMA is just being fucking weird, they've approved deals recently which would have resulted in much larger market share dominance, I don't know what they'll do after. Wouldn't be surprised if ABK is blocked and they pat themselves on the back then approve way worse things, Lol. But CMA has been particularly aggressive overall so maybe it continues.

I think how CMA works needs to be looked at, they have far too much power, Imo.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 March 2023

gtotheunit91 said:

I can see Microsoft making deals to bring all their games to the Epic Games Store and GOG next.

EGS - Yes

GOG - Probably not cause of the whole DRM free thing.

Ryuu96 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

EGS - Yes

GOG - Probably not cause of the whole DRM free thing.

Not 100% of games are DRM free. Most are, but there are some exceptions. 

Although you're probably right. Once one domino falls over, then GOG will have nothing but DRM games lol. So probably for the best then it stays off GOG.

Idas Said:

These were the third party cloud gaming providers mentioned by the CMA in the provisional findings:

- NVIDIA GFN
- Facebook Gaming
- Google Stadia
- PlayStation Now
- Nintendo Switch Online
- Shadow
- Amazon Luna
- Antstream Arcade

Boosteroid wasn't even there.

Maybe they'll try to get an agreement with Facebook and Amazon too? In any case, Facebook Gaming + Nintendo Switch Online were excluded because they were considered materially different to xCloud.

Whatever the case may be, pushing the relevant customer benefits (RCB) numbers is probably one of the best strategies right now to try to make the behavioural remedies work for the CMA.

We'll see if that's enough.

----

Boosteroid was mentioned as a "lesser-known provider" though.

So likely Microsoft looks to make deals with the others; Utomik, Blacknut, Gamestream, Wiztivi.

As for the big ones mentioned.

• Nvidia GeForce Now - Deal
  • Facebook Gaming - Excluded by CMA.
  • Google Stadia - Dead
  • PlayStation Now - Likely Included in PS+ Offer.
  • Nintendo Switch Online - Excluded by CMA.
  • Shadow - Supports Any Game Regardless.
  • Amazon Luna
  • Antstream Arcade - Retro Titles Only.

Will have to research more about Shadow but they may not need a deal with how they work.

Really only leaves Amazon and Shadow as the last two in CMA's own assessment for the big companies.

4 left in the smaller companies, Microsoft can make deals with them easy.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 March 2023

Around the Network

Shadow supports any game that can run on a Windows 10 PC. As mentioned above, you aren’t actually subscribing to a cloud gaming service with Shadow. Rather, you’re subscribing to a high-end computer that you have remote access to. Because of that, you can install and play any game you want, so long as you have a way to download that game without a disk.

👉 On Shadow, you can play any game from Steam, EpicStore, etc. pretty much any game launcher you like! 

So yes, Shadow can support pretty much any game under specific conditions: as long as Shadow meets the hardware requirements for a specific game and the developer allows virtualization, we’re all set! 

In the meantime, here is a list of popular games among Shadow users:

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

----

Does Microsoft even need to make a deal with Shadow? Looks like it works differently to other Cloud services and doesn't even require permission, Lol.

Checking some recent titles, Shadow supports Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Hi Fi Rush, Pentiment, etc.

So we're down to just Amazon Luna for the big competitors that CMA listed?

Ara twitter account has been very active over the past couple of weeks. I have no idea when this game may release though seeing they completed their second technical alpha. I imagine this will not be released before June.

Hmm, this doesn't scream Ultimate Edition to me, tbh.

gtotheunit91 said:

Hmm, this doesn't scream Ultimate Edition to me, tbh.

Yeah, it's pretty lackluster. Usually a gold or ultimate edition of a game includes a season pass for future campaign expansions, but there is nothing like that here, you pay $10 more than the deluxe edition and all you get is the accelerated version of the battlepass which grants you 20 tiers instantly as opposed to the basic version of the battlepass (completely superfluous as you have plenty of time to complete the first season pass without needing 20 instant tiers), and a couple of extra cosmetics that aren't in the deluxe edition. The deluxe edition meanwhile feels pretty overpriced at $20 more than standard, all you get for $20 is 4 days early access, the first battlepass, and 2 unique cosmetics. 

I think standard edition is your best bet with Diablo 4 unless you really care about PvP and don't want other people getting a 4 day headstart on becoming PvP masters.