By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 18 40.00%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 27 60.00%

Total:45

(Has the bold gone yet?)

Around the Network

I hate redactions 🥹

544 links to Wasteland 3 so (d) could be Project Cobalt.

And it's a Microsoft internal document, according to 543.

God if this stuff ever leaked we'd know so much, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 February 2023

I'm more excited to find out what those unannounced games are than finding out if the ABK deal passes

gtotheunit91 said:

I'm more excited to find out what those unannounced games are than finding out if the ABK deal passes

We need the CMA employee with the unredacted copies if they haven't shredded them to do this but outside on a windy day.

KnowinStuff said:

I am going to float an idea that I think is extremely unlikely, but I'm posing it just as a kind of "what if?"

Berkshire Hathaway buys Infinity Ward and/or Treyarch, along with all rights to future CoD console and PC games. The Microsoft gets COD mobile rights, and maintains rights on existing COD games. The deal closes.

I do think that the CMA would accept this structural remedy. Additionally, Berkshire Hathaway really doesn't have a dog in the console war fight, or real potential antitrust issues that I am aware of. They certainly have the wallet to support the project.

Berkshire Hathaway owns over 60 million shares of Activision, valued at several billion dollars. If the deal goes through, those shares increase in value by more than $1 billion, whereas they have the potential to lose substantial value on the deal failing. The future rights to COD for consoles and windows would ostensibly cost less than the full bundle of rights with respect to COD. Microsoft would immediately get a library of current and old COD games to market on Gamepass, along with the rest of ATVI.

Warren Buffet has a nose for opportunity, has built his career buying and selling large or controlling interests in companies, stands to profit from the deal going through, and has a penchant for approaching businesses with a "take it or leave it" buyout offer. If Microsoft wants this deal to go through, they might take a discounted price on this portion of the business.

I don't know if Buffet will make an offer, or if it will be at a price that Microsoft deems worthwhile. It's just a thought I had, and sort of an interesting proposition. There aren't a ton of companies that have the money readily available to buy this franchise, coupled with the ability to do so without antitrust concerns. Berkshire Hathaway is one of them, and they have the added incentive of being a substantial Activision shareholder.

Around the Network

This is hilarious.

the-pi-guy said:

This is hilarious.

Ask ChatGPT to fill the blanks!

Some of these redactions make ya think what is the point in even including them, Lol.

7.285 The Parties said Minecraft is the most comparable franchise previously acquired by Microsoft to CoD, and that Microsoft kept it available on PlayStation and expanded its reach to other platforms after its 2014 acquisition of Minecraft's publisher Mojang.534 We note, however, that Minecraft has certain key differences to CoD. Before being acquired by Microsoft, Mojang Studios sold Minecraft for a one-time fee, after which users received lifetime updates and content. Following the acquisition, Microsoft continued to charge a one-time fee (of around $30) and developed other ways of monetising the game, including subscription payments for multi-player functionality, merchandise from the Minecraft Shop (eg, t-shirts, lamps, mugs, etc), and game-enhancing features from the Minecraft marketplace (eg, skin packs, texture packs, adventure maps, etc). This legacy monetisation model of a one-time fee for lifetime access and updates, which predated Microsoft's acquisition, differs significantly from CoD, where users buy the new premium iteration of the game every year for a higher fee.

7.291 The most notable exception is the strategy pursued with Minecraft by Mojang; however, as discussed above, the specific features of Minecraft business model do not make it a good comparator to CoD.

-

What about Minecraft Legends? Minecraft Dungeons? The platform specific versions of Minecraft? Minecraft Xbox One Edition is not the same thing as Minecraft Bedrock and to my knowledge, the free upgrade was for a limited time only.

They could have, if they wanted to, stop releasing Minecraft products on PlayStation, stopped supporting the PS4 edition and released Bedrock exclusively on Xbox along with Dungeons/Legends but they didn't because it makes no sense.

It also ignores the F2P aspect of Call of Duty which is growing heavily (Warzone) and has arguably overtaken regular CoD. Warzone isn't really intended to be constantly released with new entries, the main reason Warzone 2 was made was because Warzone 1's engine was a piece of crap and they wanted to move to the new one, Lol.

Another weird comment, Game Pass will increase in price as the value increases? No shit? Lol.

And Game Pass increasing in price doesn't depend on if ABK goes through, it will 100% increase in price either way, eventually.

Least players will have that option still of CoD through Game Pass which now they don't have and according to ABK, will never have.

"Game Pass may increase in price, so we'll make sure nobody has the choice of playing CoD on Game Pass" Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 February 2023

Hmm, I did enjoy learning more about this whole process and insight into the whole law and how regulatory bodies operate, even if it is frustrating a lot of the time, Idas is a brilliant source of information and there is juicy information in the reports themselves but I imagine this thread is getting sick of the acquisition talk and since I think the deal is dead now, I'll try to scale back somewhat on discussing it, likely won't bother posting the Mlex reports or opinion pieces now and just wait for the major bits, Lol.

Did waste a lot of time today discussing this stuff when I could have been playing Yakuza 3, I'm sorry @Spade 

the-pi-guy said:

This is hilarious.

Reminds me of the edited version of Hot Dog by Limp Bizkit