By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Imaginedvl said:

I always preferred the original combat system (more tactical, more spells/skills/abilities). The "pseudo-realtime" of Inquisition was a bit meh at first, but after playing it, I got used to it and liked it. While looking at the first trailer, it looked like they were going even more in that real-time combat than ever (which is the case), but I think I like your comparison to MMO; it is actually closer to that (and that's fine with me).

The latest videos show that you can do a lot of excellent comboing and tactical choices during the fight, which pleases me greatly :D

Maybe this is not the place for that, but this is really what I disliked about the two latest Final Fantasy and the fights. I mean, yeah, it was "cool" to watch, but it was more of a button-smashing thing at the end than anything else. They destroyed the tactical element in the Final Fantasy Series. Looking at what Bioware is doing, while I would prefer to keep that turn-based system, what I see from their real-time combat is MUCH better.

Another thing that this video actually made me realize (Like you I'm playing another play through of Inquisition right now) is that you do not really have any visual clue of what the 3 other party members are doing during a fight unless you really pay attention or control them. In the Veilguard video you can see all those clues (like companion icon next to monsters, etc...) that makes it way easier to plan. I really like it!

I highly recommend you keep an eye on Greedfall 2 then! The first game had a more Inquisition approach to combat, which was pretty good, but the sequel (actually a prequel) is embracing tradition with an Origins approach to combat. Many have been knocking the developers for this drastic change to combat, but it makes me eagerly anticipating it! Releases in early access in a few weeks on PC with its 1.0 launch on console sometime next year.

Around the Network

G2ThaUNiT said:
Imaginedvl said:

I always preferred the original combat system (more tactical, more spells/skills/abilities). The "pseudo-realtime" of Inquisition was a bit meh at first, but after playing it, I got used to it and liked it. While looking at the first trailer, it looked like they were going even more in that real-time combat than ever (which is the case), but I think I like your comparison to MMO; it is actually closer to that (and that's fine with me).

The latest videos show that you can do a lot of excellent comboing and tactical choices during the fight, which pleases me greatly :D

Maybe this is not the place for that, but this is really what I disliked about the two latest Final Fantasy and the fights. I mean, yeah, it was "cool" to watch, but it was more of a button-smashing thing at the end than anything else. They destroyed the tactical element in the Final Fantasy Series. Looking at what Bioware is doing, while I would prefer to keep that turn-based system, what I see from their real-time combat is MUCH better.

Another thing that this video actually made me realize (Like you I'm playing another play through of Inquisition right now) is that you do not really have any visual clue of what the 3 other party members are doing during a fight unless you really pay attention or control them. In the Veilguard video you can see all those clues (like companion icon next to monsters, etc...) that makes it way easier to plan. I really like it!

I highly recommend you keep an eye on Greedfall 2 then! The first game had a more Inquisition approach to combat, which was pretty good, but the sequel (actually a prequel) is embracing tradition with an Origins approach to combat. Many have been knocking the developers for this drastic change to combat, but it makes me eagerly anticipating it! Releases in early access in a few weeks on PC with its 1.0 launch on console sometime next year.

Do you have a video about the combat? I'm intrigued, Greedfall was okayish (I mean, the studio was really small); but I am actually looking forward for the second one already but I did not know about the combat details :) If you have anything I can check; please share :D

Imaginedvl said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Do you have a video about the combat? I'm intrigued, Greedfall was okayish (I mean, the studio was really small); but I am actually looking forward for the second one already but I did not know about the combat details :) If you have anything I can check; please share :D

I should've been specific lol. They do go over the combat at the 2:43 part of the video but I'll definitely shoot some more videos your way as they get posted!

I LOVE watching the Redbull Wololo AoE tournaments! Next one is October 3rd-6th!

Around the Network

Where the damn achievement list.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Solid start for Age of Mythology in reviews but this end quote to one review stuck out to me as incredibly stupid, Lol.

"Age of Mythology Retold is fun, don’t get me wrong. The visual overhaul alone is enough to make playing this 22-year-old game easier, and the quality-of-life improvements sand down some of the older versions’ more annoying edges. However, with more substantial structural improvements in later Age of Empires games, plus with the likes of Ara: History Untold just around the corner, I’m just not sure Retold needed to exist."

Ara: History Untold and Age of Mythology: Retold are completely different games, Lmao.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 27 August 2024