By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:
Imaginedvl said:

Honestly, it just makes sense. Sony strategy aside, for Xbox (as a business), I do not see why they are not putting some of their big AAA on Play Station already. 
The reality is that, while it sucks that Sony is buying those big third parties exclusives out; the fact is that they have 70%+ more of the market (if you do not count the Switch, and it is closer to 90% in certain regions). There is no way for Microsoft to compete and try to reverse that. 

People can claim whatever they want, but the main reason is not that "Sony is coming out with more exclusives." Yes, it played a role at first, but at this point (especially with Microsoft coming with way more games), it is just that people will not switch when they invest so much in Play Station and have their whole library there. I have a Play Station 5, and I play on it for games that are not available anywhere else, but I have more than 300 games in my Xbox library since the original Xbox; there is no fucking way I'm going to switch my gaming ecosystem to Sony (and Sony exclusives other than few like Horizon, are not engaging me at all). That's why it is so hard for Microsoft to do anything right. The majority of the market/media is siding with what they use the most, which makes sense. No matter what they do. They lost this with the Xbox One debacle, and there is no return anytime soon unless they come up with something completely different. This is the Apple effect in gaming... 

If Xbox wants to stay relevant (and they are; I mean, yes, Sony is first, but Xbox is selling, and Activision-Blizzard is just massive in the gaming world), they must sell some stuff on another platform. 

MS is not competing with Sony on pure console market share and has not been for a long time. The exclusive strategy they are using is not in the hope that their consoles will somehow pick up but rather to give them more success over what they now view as a better metric (MAU, Subscription service growth, and ROI).

And on those fronts, MS is already besting Sony quite substantially in fact, that's why their change in strategy is not immediate and drastic but slow and gradual. They have a winning strategy for the metrics they deem best and they want to make sure their shift produces an overall measurable positive impact. 

Thats also what makes it kind of annoying and an excuse because it implies 'doing bad with xbox hardware is okay because MS is aiming higher than doing well in the console market' but I would argue that Sony is also not competing for just some pure console market share and that they understand that having an attractive platform in the console market can lead to also great market share in other markets.

Based on it I have some questions.

1) Do you agree that Sony is not just competing in the console hardware market but in other gaming related markets aswell? If you disagree can you explain why? Because it seems obvious that Sony is also creating a pillar in the PC gaming market and had a ton of new PSN accounts created on PC.

2) If you agree that Sony is not just competing in the console market then why is it okay that MS is creating/created the least attractive console for gamers/consumers/Media/Developpers/retail etc and how will it be beneficial for the other markets they compete in?

I agree with that releasing games like Sea of Thieves/Indiana Jones/Grounded etc on Sony's platform is good for MS but it is BEST for Sony, having those games will increase sales, increase PSN Accounts, Increase PSN subscriptions, Increase confidence in Gamers and Devs to support for future Sony Platforms in the handheld/Console/PC/Mobile markets in the future...

Ryuu96 said:

Curious about Star Trucker because I love Euro Truck...  Sadly it releases in a very busy timeperiod for me...

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020): Year 3

Civilization VII will apparently launch February 11th. Very glad this series is now seeing a simultaneous console release! One of my most anticipated games.

Around the Network

Xbox at Gamescom is shaping up quite nicely.

• Black Ops 6 Campaign Reveal
  • Indiana Jones Trailer + Release Date
  • Starfield Shattered Space + Release Date
  • Towerborne (Early Access Shadow-Drop?)
  • Livestreams for Diablo IV: Vessel of Hatred, Stalker 2, Atomfall, Age of Mythology Retold, World of Warcraft: The War Within, Fallout 76: Milepost Zero, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024, Ara History Untold, 33 Immortals + Lots More. Forza Horizon 5 (New Game Mode).

Their Gamescom is packed, feels like one of their biggest in recent history.

Which means lots of news for me to post, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 August 2024

Zippy6 said:

Civilization VII will apparently launch February 11th. Very glad this series is now seeing a simultaneous console release! One of my most anticipated games.

Same date as Kingdom Come Deliverance and 7 days before Avowed, Lol.

That area of February is already getting packed.

konnichiwa said:
EpicRandy said:

MS is not competing with Sony on pure console market share and has not been for a long time. The exclusive strategy they are using is not in the hope that their consoles will somehow pick up but rather to give them more success over what they now view as a better metric (MAU, Subscription service growth, and ROI).

And on those fronts, MS is already besting Sony quite substantially in fact, that's why their change in strategy is not immediate and drastic but slow and gradual. They have a winning strategy for the metrics they deem best and they want to make sure their shift produces an overall measurable positive impact. 

Thats also what makes it kind of annoying and an excuse because it implies 'doing bad with xbox hardware is okay because MS is aiming higher than doing well in the console market' but I would argue that Sony is also not competing for just some pure console market share and that they understand that having an attractive platform in the console market can lead to also great market share in other markets.

Based on it I have some questions.

1) Do you agree that Sony is not just competing in the console hardware market but in other gaming related markets aswell? If you disagree can you explain why? Because it seems obvious that Sony is also creating a pillar in the PC gaming market and had a ton of new PSN accounts created on PC.

2) If you agree that Sony is not just competing in the console market then why is it okay that MS is creating/created the least attractive console for gamers/consumers/Media/Developpers/retail etc and how will it be beneficial for the other markets they compete in?

I agree with that releasing games like Sea of Thieves/Indiana Jones/Grounded etc on Sony's platform is good for MS but it is BEST for Sony, having those games will increase sales, increase PSN Accounts, Increase PSN subscriptions, Increase confidence in Gamers and Devs to support for future Sony Platforms in the handheld/Console/PC/Mobile markets in the future...

Let's go point by point (in short, I'm afraid I have to disagree with all :D), but your points are fair.

1 - Yes, Sony is competing ONLY in the console market (and I count PSN as a console add-on at the end; without the console, people would not buy it). Sony is doing so much to keep everything first on the console and the Play Station 5 is their bread and butter. Their PC side of the thing is a joke, to be honest. Even third parties they are publishing like Helldivers 2, requires a PSN account but no synch, nothing, this is not their strategy right now. They are pushing for the console mainly (even if their PR says otherwise sometimes). And as they have no service like GamePass (Windows Store); gamers need to buy the game AGAIN, on PC.
Or Sony paying exclusives for console and still pay for timed on PC. Console is definitely the main focus for them.

2— I disagree with the first point so: Microsoft is besting Sony on the PC side (or publishing in general).

3 - I disagree greatly with that: "BEST for Sony." Other than the 30%, the rest is not true. Sony will not increase PSN subscriptions because Microsoft is publishing those games there. Overall, selling games on Play Station suits both, but it will benefit Microsoft more.

Wh do you think that having Xbox games on Play Station will increase PSN subscriptions or have any other impact on Sony's marketshare? 

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 20 August 2024

Ryuu96 said:

Xbox at Gamescom is shaping up quite nicely.

• Black Ops 6 Campaign Reveal
  • Indiana Jones Trailer + Release Date
  • Starfield Shattered Space + Release Date
  • Towerborne (Early Access Shadow-Drop?)
  • Livestreams for Diablo IV: Vessel of Hatred, Stalker 2, Atomfall, Age of Mythology Retold, World of Warcraft: The War Within, Fallout 76: Milepost Zero, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024, Ara History Untold, 33 Immortals + Lots More. Forza Horizon 5 (New Game Mode).

Their Gamescom is packed, feels like one of their biggest in recent history.

Which means lots of news for me to post, Lol.

When they said "big surprise", I would REALLY hope for a shadow drop of Towerbone :) This would be amazing.

Imaginedvl said:

When they said "big surprise", I would REALLY hope for a shadow drop of Towerbone :) This would be amazing.

As it's an early access title (afaik?) I think there's actually a good chance of this happening. Or at least a very short wait till release.