By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network

With Avowed, Shattered Space, and Indiana Jones getting dedicated theater presentations, hopefully they each end with the release dates lol

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Ryuu96 said:

Bungie was a big part of my childhood, they're a staple in the industry. I know they've always had issues, although they tend to have been blamed on others in the past, first Microsoft, then Activision, though it has became clear in recent history that those companies may have been the only things keeping Bungie from tearing itself apart and most the issues are on Bungie's management. I don't care where Bungie went, or that I wasn't really a big fan of Destiny, I always wished them luck, even if I'd never play another game from them again.

It's sad to see Pete Parsons utterly destroying what was once a great company, it's frustrating as hell to see such incompetent management, I'm now convinced that without Microsoft, Activision or Sony, Bungie would have shutdown a long time ago, I'm not even sure if Pete Parsons stepping down at this point can undo the damage done. I hope Sony replaces the entire upper management but that still hasn't happened despite all the reports of Pete Parsons being a garbage leader and it'll be too late if they don't act now.

Same here man. By far my best gaming memories have been with Bungie's games. From watching my dad playing the Myth games and eventually letting me play with him, to endless LAN parties, midnight launches, and making new friends online over the years in Halo, to day one raids and dungeons in Destiny with my clan, Bungie will always have a special place in my heart. 

And playing the first 2 Marathon games that are now on Steam for the first time, it's pretty clear that Halo was the spiritual successor to Marathon. They're great games that have aged very well and shows just how talented Bungie has always been. Looking forward to when Marathon 3 drops.

But like you said, it's obvious that Bungie leadership never had the capabilities of managing anything more than a small team and that hasn't changed in over 2 decades. And unfortunately, leadership is still not being held accountable and the talented devs that Bungie drew in are the ones paying the price.

It's like my mourning of Blizzard all over again

Around the Network

Xbox Under One Roof

Over the past couple of weeks, lots of Xbox employees have started returning to the buildings where Xbox began. The Xbox studio campus was originally built during the Robbie Bach era more than 20 years ago, but the covid-19 pandemic forced many Xbox employees to work remotely or take up office space in other buildings as Microsoft cautiously reopened offices.

Xbox chief Phil Spencer is now back on the Xbox studio campus, alongside many of the core Xbox team inside Studio D. Sources at Microsoft tell me they’ve spotted Spencer on campus multiple times recently, allowing Xbox employees to have the type of spontaneous hallway chats with executives that haven’t been possible in recent years.

I’m told Xbox hasn’t had a return-to-work policy in recent years, and a lack of regular quarterly offsites, hallway meetings, and togetherness has created a feeling of disconnect for some. Microsoft certainly struggled to communicate its Xbox strategy effectively both inside and outside the company earlier this year, when some Xbox-exclusive games were announced for PS5.

Most Xbox employees are now moving back into Studio D or the other three nearby studio buildings. I understand Xbox Game Studios chief Matt Booty is still based in the same Redmond town center buildings where Halo Infinite developer 343 Industries and Forza Motorsport developer Turn 10 Studios are located.

The hope from some Xbox employees is that having everyone under one roof again will help the company get some of the pre-pandemic energy back. Josh Stein, a senior social media manager at Xbox, posted on X about returning to Xbox Studio D this week: “7 years of memories in these walls and feels good to call it home again.”

Avowed Delayed

Microsoft’s big Xbox holiday quarter is getting slightly smaller. I’m hearing that Obsidian is about to announce an Avowed delay to early 2025. Obsidian accidentally revealed earlier this year that it was targeting a November launch, but with Xbox exclusive S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 delayed to November, things are getting stacked for Xbox games in the all-important holiday season. I understand Avowed is in good shape, this is more a matter of wanting to give the game breathing room outside of a very busy period for Xbox Game Pass. We’re still waiting to see if Bethesda’s Indiana Jones game manages to make its planned December release, too.

I figured it was going to be Avowed or Indiana Jones that will get delayed to at least early next year with Stalker 2 now getting a primetime holiday slot.

"I understand Avowed is in good shape, this is more a matter of wanting to give the game breathing room outside of a very busy period for Xbox Game Pass."

I'm sad that Avowed has been delayed but holy shit is Microsoft finally learning to spread their releases out? It's a miracle. If this is truly the case as Tom says, that the delay is more to give it breathing room, then I see no reason why Avowed can't be Q1 2025. They're probably just in the polishing stage now. Also gets Avowed away from Dragon Age.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 01 August 2024

An Avowed delay would be disappointing, but it would at least mean that Xbox has something big for Q1, a quarter they often ignore. Dragon Age is probably November anyway, and releasing Avowed against Dragon Age is not a great idea.