By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Shaunodon said:

The more I see of The Wayward Realms, the more it seems too good to be true. They're really reaching for the sun. It's what I hoped Obsidian would have with Avowed when we only began to know of it's existence, since that was coming off the back of a franchise that returned to more old-school RPG mentality.

Since Avowed was actually revealed, it's more like they went in the direction of Skyrim with possibly even more streamlining and lack of consequence. It seems only independant studios are willing to appeal to the dreams of people who still yearn for the freedom and creativity of classics like Daggerfall. Not sure why that goes away suddenly once these studios get the huge budget and supposed security of a major publisher.

Yeah, I’m looking at Wayward Realms with a Mt Everest size of doubt. I get that it’s being developed by the leads of Daggerfall, primarily Julian Lefay, which he even admitted he didn’t get to add everything he wanted to in Daggerfall that he hopes to be able to add in Wayward Realms, but we’re talking upwards of best RPG of all time level promises…..and those types of promises practically never land.

Avowed was originally going to be like Skyrim, but development was rebooted and it’s now going to be like The Outer Worlds in a fantasy setting. An established fantasy setting at least though. Obsidian had already started early development on Avowed, so it was something they were wanting to work on and Obsidian has been able to work on 2 passion projects in Grounded and Pentiment, so hopefully they were wanting to just make something a bit pulled back before diving back into something far deeper and creative. I’m personally hoping for a Tyranny 2.

Around the Network

Agreed! Honestly this game is in my personal top 5 of the year alongside Unicorn Overlord

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:

God, this takes me back to Star Wars' 6th-gen release streak.

Official end to a legendary era

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
DroidKnight said:

God, this takes me back to Star Wars' 6th-gen release streak.

Around the release of Episode II alone had like 6 or 7 games release around that time lol

Probably a small satellite studio but we'll see.

Ryuu96 said:

Probably a small satellite studio but we'll see.

Playground has been the GOAT for Xbox, so nice to see them continue to grow. They need 2 big teams in order to get games out a faster pace. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Honestly, should have opened a studio somewhere other than Leamington Spa though.

Like maybe in Lionhead's original location (Guildford).

3 studios in one location seems a bit much.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 29 July 2024