By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

When is the Phil Spencer interview with Ryan Mccaffrey?

Around the Network

People are definitely more angry at Dragon Age than Fable though, Dragon Age's whole tone seems to have shifted, not just the character designs. Everything about it seems like they are chasing a younger generation of gamers instead of fans of the older Dragon Age games. At present the Xbox upload of the Dragon Age trailer has 1.1k likes and 1.4k dislikes, so more dislikes than likes, ouch. Fable has 5.4k likes and 1.9k dislikes, so around 2.5x more likes than dislikes. 

shikamaru317 said:

People are definitely more angry at Dragon Age than Fable though, Dragon Age's whole tone seems to have shifted, not just the character designs. Everything about it seems like they are chasing a younger generation of gamers instead of fans of the older Dragon Age games. At present the Xbox upload of the Dragon Age trailer has 1k likes and 1.4k dislikes, ouch.

Western devs have this obsession chasing 10 years out of date MCU quip fests. Not a new trend either. Even Gears 4 had it and Anthem. Forspoken was unbearable. We saw Concord with it. It's lazy and tries too hard. If you look up the director of the game. He's not a programmer. Never had a creative input in anything. He animated something on the last DA game. The game has had a high turnover in staff. This just seems like a disaster in the making. The trailer made it seem it's some multiplayer thing.  So either they don't continue the ending of DAI or they do it in the worst way.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The only people angry about Fable are people crying over a videogame character not being a supermodel giving them a boner.

In a franchise which has always been full of ugly as shit characters (whether technical restrictions or intentional).

That Fable Legends character...Look at her dang eye proportions, Lol. She would be ripped apart in Fable 25.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 June 2024

A - 67.4%
B - 21.3%
C - 5.3%
D or Below - 6.1%

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 June 2024

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

The only people angry about Fable are people crying over a videogame character not being a supermodel giving them a boner.

In a franchise which has always been full of ugly as shit characters (whether technical restrictions or intentional).

That Fable Legends character...Look at her dang eye proportions, Lol. She would be ripped apart in Fable 25.

I'd date her, personality counts.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Leynos said:
shikamaru317 said:

People are definitely more angry at Dragon Age than Fable though, Dragon Age's whole tone seems to have shifted, not just the character designs. Everything about it seems like they are chasing a younger generation of gamers instead of fans of the older Dragon Age games. At present the Xbox upload of the Dragon Age trailer has 1k likes and 1.4k dislikes, ouch.

Western devs have this obsession chasing 10 years out of date MCU quip fests. Not a new trend either. Even Gears 4 had it and Anthem. Forspoken was unbearable. We saw Concord with it. It's lazy and tries too hard. If you look up the director of the game. He's not a programmer. Never had a creative input in anything. He animated something on the last DA game. The game has had a high turnover in staff. This just seems like a disaster in the making. The trailer made it seem it's some multiplayer thing.  So either they don't continue the ending of DAI or they do it in the worst way.

Pretty sure there will be no multiplayer in Veilguard. From 2018-2021 it was in development as a co-op multiplayer GaaS game, but in February 2021 EA announced that they were moving the focus back to singleplayer after multiplayer Anthem flopped and singleplayer Jedi Fallen Order succeeded, and that the next Dragon Age would be turned into a singleplayer game. 

This game has definitely been through development hell though, so we really shouldn't be surprised that Dragon Age Veilguard seems like a hot mess. It began development in early 2015 as a singlelayer game under the Codename Joplin, set in the Tevinter Imperium and planned to be smaller than the 120 hour DA Inquisition. 2 and half years later in October 2017, EA cancelled the Joplin build of the game due to a lack of post-release monetization opportunities, prompting series creative director Mike Laidlaw to quit his job at Bioware. Then in 2018 EA rebooted development under the codename Morrison, this time it was the multiplayer GaaS game I mentioned above. Then in 2020 series executive producer Mark Darrah resigned. Then the 2nd reboot happened in 2021, with the game becoming singleplayer again. Over the course of 9 years of development, Dragon Age 4 has gone through 4 creative directors, 3 executive producers, and who knows how many others in other major positions. Just last year EA fired 50 Bioware employees, including longtime Dragon Age writer Mary Kirby, whose contributions to the series include designing Varric and creating the lore of the Qunari race.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 09 June 2024

• Age of Mythology: Retold - Looks like a decent remaster, I might play it.
  • Avowed - Look great, day one.
  • Doom: The Dark Ages - Looks great, will be amazing, -1 point for no Mick Gordon, day one.
  • Fable - Look great, Bowerstone was stunning, liking the vibes, day one.
  • Gears of War E Day - Should be great, I'm not huge into prequels but I'll play it.
  • Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - Looks great, better than anything Lucas has put out recently.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Forgot about how technically impressive this game is, Microsoft will have two of the most technically impressive games for 2024, this and Hellblade II. The photo mode on the ground was pretty cool. Don't know if I'll play it though.
  • Perfect Dark - Looked awesome, really surprised by how good it looked, day one.
  • South of Midnight - Thought the gameplay and art-style looked good but the stop motion will be divisive, Lol.
  • State of Decay 3 - Trailer was good but I expected more.
  • AC Shadows - Looked great, didn't really look like an AC title, Lol.
  • Stalker 2 - Looks really good.

Also looked interesting: Atomfall, Expedition 33, Flintlock, Mixtape, Wuchang, 

Ryuu96 said:

A - 67.4%
B - 21.3%
C - 5.3%
D or Below - 6.1%

That is a massive upgrade over the other 2 showcases. Sony and Summer Games Fest each got about 40% of votes on D or Below. 67% on A for Xbox is a massive improvement, I think perhaps the highest score for an Xbox showcase ever on Keighley's yearly poll, at the very least the highest this gen. 

It was a good show, but far from being a 10/10 or the best Xbox show. And I'm even giving it a slight extra because I try to rate things objectively without considering personal preferences. Because if we go into personal preferences, it was the weakest one in a long time.

All the games except a few looked objectively good and the main thing is that XGS first party seems to be on the right track finally. And they also have some already announced games that weren't present so it's a good sign. Nothing else to add.

On the personal preferences though and why the show wasn't as good for me.

Games that I'll play day one:
- Perfect Dark (I'm glad this game looks fantastic after all the rumours that it still has a lot of problems)
- Doom: The Dark Ages (It looks worse that previous 2 games IMO, but I'll give it benefit of a doubt)
- MGS 3 Remake

Games that I'll probably play if I have time
- Wuchang: Fallen Feathers
- Clair Obscur: Expedition 33
- Indiana Jones and the Great Circle
- Gears of War: E-day (this one is very far away it seems unfortunately)

Games I see considering at some point
- Call of Duty Black Ops 6
- Fragpunk
- Life Is Strange: Double Exposure

So, not a lot of games that I really look forward to. Mecha Break looked interesting but it being a multiplayer PVP is disappointing.

The main things I personally didn't like:
- As expected, with Xbox first party growing big, 70% of the show was first party. I can't care any less for ActiBlizz stuff or the majority of Bethesda and XGS stuff. But I guess this is how Xbox shows will look like in the future unfortunately. I liked how much time of the show was previously spent on third party games.
- Zero? Japanese games I think, if we not counting MGS3 remake which is a very western appealing franchise. This is the worst show ever for Japanese games since 2015 when I started watching Xbox showcases and that's a very worrying sign for Xbox. I'm willing to take the bet that they are not going to TGS this year either.

So, all in all, if I look at showcase objectively, it's a 8/10 probably. But personally for me, I can't rate it higher than 4/10 sadly. Still better than State of Play or Keighley's though.