By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
konnichiwa said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

I just bought it gonna play it later today. I don't mind the price tag too much. Especially after watching DF's breakdown of the port and seeing how many improvements Nightdive made.  

I would've preferred it to be like $20 or even $10 like the Quake remasters, but unlike the Quake remasters, Nightdive is self-publishing the game rather than having Bethesda backing them. So I expected them to charge a bit more than usual. 

Well I am glad for you =p;  Will check the DF video later :)

You can see at the 10:58 mark in the video when they make the gameplay comparisons. I even noticed the improved lighting on the shots landing on the enemy. 

Nightdive when a step further by remastering all the cutscenes. Not only do the cutscenes look better, but Nightdive re-rendered the CGI and created all new assets, as well as connecting the cutscenes to the gameplays framerate so that the cutscenes don't look choppy. Starts at the 11:23 mark. 

Around the Network

Hopefully they remaster the sequel next, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 was my first game in the Kyle Katarn series, and I really enjoyed it. Would be nice to see it remastered, including an AI upscaling of the live-action cutscenes. It's also the only game in the series without a remaster so far, Aspyr remastered Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy on PS4 and Switch to match the Xbox One X/Xbox Series X back compat 9x upscaled version, and now Nightdive has remastered Dark Forces 1. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 28 February 2024

shikamaru317 said:

Hopefully they remaster the sequel next, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 was my first game in the Kyle Katarn series, and I really enjoyed it. Would be nice to see it remastered, including an AI upscaling of the live-action cutscenes. It's also the only game in the series without a remaster so far, Aspyr remastered Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy on PS4 and Switch to match the Xbox back compat upscaled version, and now Nightdive has remastered Dark Forces 1. 

Same! Historically Nightdive remasters franchises. They did that with both System Shock games, late last year completed their remastering of the Turok trilogy, and have remastered the first 2 Quake games, which you gotta assume they're working on Quake 3. 

The biggest thing for Nightdive is getting the licensing, and I find it hard to imagine that Lucasfilm Games would license the first Dark Forces, but not the second as well.

G2ThaUNiT said:
shikamaru317 said:

Hopefully they remaster the sequel next, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 was my first game in the Kyle Katarn series, and I really enjoyed it. Would be nice to see it remastered, including an AI upscaling of the live-action cutscenes. It's also the only game in the series without a remaster so far, Aspyr remastered Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy on PS4 and Switch to match the Xbox back compat upscaled version, and now Nightdive has remastered Dark Forces 1. 

Same! Historically Nightdive remasters franchises. They did that with both System Shock games, late last year completed their remastering of the Turok trilogy, and have remastered the first 2 Quake games, which you gotta assume they're working on Quake 3. 

The biggest thing for Nightdive is getting the licensing, and I find it hard to imagine that Lucasfilm Games would license the first Dark Forces, but not the second as well.

Yeah, remastering Jedi Knight seems more in Nightdive's wheelhouse than Aspyr's, Dark Forces and Jedi Knight by LucasArt use similar engines, Dark Forces used a 2.5D offshoot of Duke Nukem's Build engine which was called the Jedi Engine, while Jedi Knight used an upgraded full 3D version of the same engine that they named the Sith Engine, whereas for Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Raven Software used id tech 3. Since Nightdive did such a good job remastering Dark Forces 1, it seems natural that they should remaster the sequel. Hopefully it sells well. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 28 February 2024

Around the Network

Xbox's mobile push starting. Warzone Mobile releasing soon, Age of Empires Mobile releasing this year, Elder Scrolls Castles as well, and now Candy Crush promotion.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Apple's change to policies did put a dent in Microsoft's mobile plans though, I wonder if they'll move forward with just Android for now with the Mobile Store, a lot of people have compared what Apple is doing to what Unity did. They may have to wait longer for EU because I doubt EU will be happy, it was a bit of a spit in the face to EU. America seems like a lost cause though, the Mobile Store will have to be EU exclusive, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 28 February 2024

You can tell the guy who runs Nightdive loves what he does! I can't imagine how much of a dream come true it was to work with the original developers.