By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
DroidKnight said:

You know how you go to the Xbox website to custom make a controller. Why can't you go to the same site and have a physical disc and case made for the consumers that still want physical media? Charge me extra for the price of the case and disc.

Brah next Xbox might not even have a disc drive

I actually think that would be a smart idea though if the Xbox console still had a way of playing discs. It'd feel more like a "limited" edition, they could upcharge it, they won't need to print more than needed, they'd only need to print the amount ordered and they'd have the exact number on hand.

That or give Limited Run exclusive rights to all Xbox IP, let them make the physical copies.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I doubt they will go that high, but I'll just say that we saw what happens when Sony gets a monopoly in the past, PS2 sold 150m to the <25m each of OG Xbox and Gamecube. The end result was an extremely cocky and full of themselves Playstation, who charged $500 and $600 respectively for the two PS3 launch models (1 year after Xbox 360 launched for $400), and then went around making statements like Ken Kutaragi's "the PS3 is for consumers who think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one' " and "Xbox 360 is more like Xbox 1.5", and Jack Tretton likening the various consoles to food stating that "PS3 is surf & turf, PS2 is your favorite burger restaurant, Wii is just a lollipop, and Xbox 360 is a restaurant where you get sick because the cook isn't reliable". Sony were remarkably full of themselves after the huge success of the PS2, and that monopoly did nothing good for consumers.

Now let's look at how this current gen has been shaping up. PS5 is tracking roughly in line with PS4 (which sold 117m lifetime), Xbox Series is tracking behind Xbox One (which sold 58m lifetime). That was before this imminent announcement of multiple Xbox exclusives going multiplatform, which will certainly cause Xbox Series sales to track even further behind Xbox One, and PS5 sales to begin to track over PS4. So most likely this gen we are shaping up for something like 130m+ PS5, and maybe 45m Xbox Series. That's not quite the monopoly that Sony had exiting gen 6 with PS2's 150m and Xbox's 25m, but it's also a margin that is large enough to be considered a monopoly.

So, we have a history of Sony abusing the consumers when they have a monopoly, and we are tracking towards a Sony monopoly once again. Will they go as high as $800 for PS6 and $90 games next gen? Maybe not that high, but I'd say that $600 PS6 and $80 games will almost certainly happen next gen, and they maybe even go as high a $700 for PS6, especially with the way that computer parts are being affected by inflation. Xbox becoming non-competitive with Sony in terms of hardware likely won't be good for consumers. 

Some of this feels a little alarmist.

The market is pretty different from what it was 15 years ago. Mudslinging competitors between the 3 companies is unusual today. PC is still in the game. Who's to say that a $600+ PS6 wouldn't prompt someone else to try to undercut Sony?

This is also heavily assuming that MS becomes a non-factor, which it seems they still have hardware plans, it just probably isn't going to be their primary driver anymore. (And frankly it hasn't felt like their primary goal in the past few years.)

The issue of $80 games is more complicated. Sony wasn't the first one to make games $70. Take Two was. And a lot of companies have jumped on that train. Even Nintendo has made a $70 game, despite not being directly in competition.

The issue is industry wide. The consumer base isn't particularly growing on consoles. In order to make bigger more competitive games, you have to spend more money, you have to figure out how to get more money out of consumers. A big reason why live service games are so popular right now. A lot of these games from Ubisoft, Sony, Take Two, Microsoft, Activision are costing in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Some of them are massive successes making a few times that. A lot of them aren't. $80 games would reduce some of the risk. It'll unfortunately probably happen regardless of anything else. Just like $70 has happened, despite MS trying to be a hold out.

The unfortunate reality is that there is no free lunch. Something has to give somewhere at all times. Either the industry has to slow down on their infinite growth or consumers have to start paying more.  

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 06 February 2024

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Also they said all platforms + Switch 2 and next gen Xbox.

Maybe I'm reading into it but the fact that they didn't say PS6 makes me think next gen Xbox is sooner.

So all platforms (Xbox Series/PS5/Switch) + Switch 2 + Xbox Next.

Well, we had the original AMD leaker back in like September who said Xbox decided to release earlier next gen, in 2026, but then recently we had MLID saying that Xbox signed their next-gen chipset contract with AMD later than Sony did, which would seem to indicate a later release than PS6, or a rushed release the same year. However, considering that MLID's track record is sketchy at best, and now this Persona leaker indicating that P6 and P2R will will be releasing on Xbox Next but not PS6, I'd be inclined to believe that Xbox Next is 2026 while P6 and P2R will both release before PS6 releases in 2028.

Yeah, MLID is a fraud, he is a joke in the PC community, I saw someone on ResetEra post a list of shit he said which was wrong which I'll copy/paste.

• "Intel Arc is cancelled" MLID?
  • "PS5 Pro will launch in 2023" MLID?
  • "The PS5 will have PS3 compatibility thanks to these custom CPU changes" MLID?
  • "The PlayStation 5's Geometry Engine will be included in the micro-architecture that will be RDNA3 and that it implements a variant of Variable Rate Shading that runs circles around the Xbox Series X. Its ability to draw polygons will be difficult for the Xbox Series X to compete with."
  • "My sources say PS5 will actually ship with 38 Compute Units enabled due to fantastic yields" (36 to this day)
  • (Pre-PS5 physical reveal) "Sony's revolutionary & unique cooling system will allow them to make the PS5's incredible slimness a major selling point"

Lmfao.

I think 2026 is likely.

‘Timdog’, another notable Xbox influencer with 82,000 followers – including Spencer, Xbox’s marketing leads and the official Xbox account – made a more dramatic declaration on Monday, streaming a 7-hour Spaces audio discussion on X under the headline “I’m not an Xbox fanboy anymore”.

He later tweeted: “Xbox could have killed Game Pass, say buy our exclusives and focus on our hardware and that’s 100 percent the better idea [than to] SAY LETS KILL EXCLUSIVES AND put Halo on PS5. The outrage would be half of this and guess what you might be back to having a healthy business.”

YouTuber Doc_Dark, a self-proclaimed “console war content creator”, posted a video in which he sang for three minutes about the situation.

“I pray to god that you remember, the beginning of this generation when we had a chance,” starts Doc_Dark’s original song. “Everything was lined up, but now it looks like it’s over,” he continued, holding aloft an Xbox Series S console. “I shouldn’t be crying, but I just can’t let it go… I can’t stop thinking about all the games we should’ve played that we never played.”

Xbox influencer, KidSmoove, another X user followed by Xbox executives, changed his Twitter banner to a logo reading, “Fuck Xbox”.

“Xbox is doomed,” they wrote. “[If they’re] expecting PlayStation and Nintendo to buy Xbox games they are in for a rude awakening.”

VGC

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 06 February 2024

Around the Network

Frankly those people that built their entire brand and persona around stoking console wars can gtfo.

Tales of Arise is in the title but not the article...

Might play it if it isn't a mistake.

DroidKnight said:

You know how you go to the Xbox website to custom make a controller. Why can't you go to the same site and have a physical disc and case made for the consumers that still want physical media? Charge me extra for the price of the case and disc.

All it would be is a physical disc in name only.  Most of MS games is just a stub where you have to download the game anyway and they have been doing this for a while.  People actually think MS physical exit plan only started with the them laying off their physical media division, its been happening for a few years I believe that is why they have the layoffs.