By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Dulfite said:
trunkswd said:

I am sure if all these rumors are true that by the time it matters the Switch 2 will be out and that is the Nintendo platform they will downport to and not the Switch. 

This. Nintendo themselves have shifted towards Switch development except for a few straggler 2nd tier games or remakes. No way MS develops for Switch 1. Switch 2 will be natively beyond PS4 or close, but with dlss 2.1 or 2.5 developing for it will be much easier than the typical generational gap Nintendo consoles have.

Yeah it shouldn't be too hard to downport games to the Switch 2 like it has been with the Switch 1. Switch 2 raw power will most likely be between the PS4 and PS4 Pro and as you mentioned with DLSS 2.1 or 2.5. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
Zippy6 said:

The thread is discussing the current Xbox news. I'm not seeing petty mockery nor anything that could warrant moderation. The news may be hard to take for some but the discussion of it is valid and I've not seen poor conduct. Don't really know what you're complaining about with regards this thread TBH.

What 'news' exactly? So far everything is just rumour-mongering, rampant speculation and everyone abandoning ship. I haven't actually seen anything tangible yet.

Yeah that's the thing. This rumor is based ironically from an Xbox-centric site, but it's blown up so much because of the subject matter at hand. 

But this really feels like the rumor is so massive and has blown up so much, that silence in and of itself, can be considered an answer for many. I know it's silly at the thought of publicly downplaying every single rumor that comes out, but this one in particular, you'd think would be damaging enough that warrants clarification. That's why there's so much rampant speculation about it. 

Dulfite said:
konnichiwa said:

It is weird to think I maybe have bought the last Xbox games last week, it is also annoying to think that games will now even take longer to release because they need ports for other consoles. I would be so pissed tho, if the gears collection is just the Gears games for PS, because it basically means we even have to wait longer for the next gears game...

If they release games on multiple platforms, they can projected much higher profits, which means they can go on a hiring spree to greatly expand studios to speed up production so what you just described doesn't happen.

I think thats the wrong way of looking at it.
The reality is gamepass cant support that many big AAA games, that they can now make, with all the big studios they have.

So they have two options:
A) Drop day-and-date on gamepass. Get xbox users to buy games, and still stay subbed to gamepass. Games can stay exclusive to xbox. Gamble on xbox, hope this turns into better console sales, and thus better game sells and subscriptions ect.

B) keep day-and-date on gamepass. Xbox console users, still get best bang-4-buck service, for games. In order to be able to finance, the losses, doing day-and-date on gamepass for xbox users, port games to PS5/Nintendo, and make them pay for it.

They choose option B)

Some of these studios are huge.
Can you imagine if Call of Duty stayed exclusive to xbox and pc?
The majority of their sales come from playstation.
Dropping playstation would mean 100's of millions of profit, going away, every year (CoD is huge).
And thats just 1 game.

Developement costs are big, and xbox console arn't selling that well.... its likely to end the gen, at like 40m.
With how many studios xbox now has, they need to find a way to not just lose money on keeping them.
(imagine spending $80-100 bn, buying studios, only to be loseing money from it? that wouldn't make sense)

^ this is what made them have to choose, between A and B.

JRPGfan said:
Dulfite said:

If they release games on multiple platforms, they can projected much higher profits, which means they can go on a hiring spree to greatly expand studios to speed up production so what you just described doesn't happen.

I think thats the wrong way of looking at it.
The reality is gamepass cant support that many big AAA games, that they can now make, with all the big studios they have.

So they have two options:
A) Drop day-and-date on gamepass. Get xbox users to buy games, and still stay subbed to gamepass. Games can stay exclusive to xbox. Gamble on xbox, hope this turns into better console sales, and thus better game sells and subscriptions ect.

B) keep day-and-date on gamepass. Xbox console users, still get best bang-4-buck service, for games. In order to be able to finance, the losses, doing day-and-date on gamepass for xbox users, port games to PS5/Nintendo, and make them pay for it.

They choose option B)

Some of these studios are huge.
Can you imagine if Call of Duty stayed exclusive to xbox and pc?
The majority of their sales come from playstation.
Dropping playstation would mean 100's of millions of profit, going away, every year (CoD is huge).
And thats just 1 game.

Developement costs are big, and xbox console arn't selling that well.... its likely to end the gen, at like 40m.
With how many studios xbox now has, they need to find a way to not just lose money on keeping them.
(imagine spending $80-100 bn, buying studios, only to be loseing money from it? that wouldn't make sense)

^ this is what made them have to choose, between A and B.

I wouldnt be suprised if Microsoft is reconsidering even putting COD on gamepass.

G2ThaUNiT said:
Shaunodon said:

What 'news' exactly? So far everything is just rumour-mongering, rampant speculation and everyone abandoning ship. I haven't actually seen anything tangible yet.

Yeah that's the thing. This rumor is based ironically from an Xbox-centric site, but it's blown up so much because of the subject matter at hand. 

But this really feels like the rumor is so massive and has blown up so much, that silence in and of itself, can be considered an answer for many. I know it's silly at the thought of publicly downplaying every single rumor that comes out, but this one in particular, you'd think would be damaging enough that warrants clarification. That's why there's so much rampant speculation about it. 

Hasn't there been devs from xbox studios saying these things on like xbox podcasts ect ?
Like this is part of why it has any weight, and gets tracktion.

Ontop of people going "I heard from a source, xyz... that matches this" ect.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
Zippy6 said:

The thread is discussing the current Xbox news. I'm not seeing petty mockery nor anything that could warrant moderation. The news may be hard to take for some but the discussion of it is valid and I've not seen poor conduct. Don't really know what you're complaining about with regards this thread TBH.

Fair enough, but I do think the rumours are true, I do however agree some reactions are a bit crazy to witness, in the span of 24 hours the entire Twitter Xbox community has practically given up on Xbox and having complete meltdowns and throwing funerals, There's a Xbox fan on Twitter, a decently well known one, who I saw seriously say that he doesn't care about Avowed anymore because it's coming to PlayStation, c'mon man, Lmao.

I do think that's partly down to some people making Xbox their entire personality, Lol. But I understand why others are frustrated and upset at what this may mean for Xbox hardware and the thought of losing their digital libraries or feeling like they invested in Xbox for nothing. Different feelings for different folks, I kind of don't feel like I missed anything Tbh, things come and go, I still have the memories.

But I still think another Xbox hardware is coming*

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 05 February 2024

JRPGfan said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Hasn't there been devs from xbox studios saying these things on like xbox podcasts ect ?

Are you referring to the supposed Zenimax employee? Because I know that was confirmed as fake. I honestly haven't heard from any other sources though in terms of Xbox studios. Only other one I heard was Psychonauts 2 possibly coming to Switch from Tim Scafer on a podcast, but that game was already multiplat since launch. Once the original poster from XboxEra I believe it was started it, everyone started coming with their own "yeah I heard that too" statements. 

It's hard not to imagine where there's smoke, there's fire though. 

BTW, after playing FF16 recently, I now know your pfp is a Moogle

PixelPirate said:
crissindahouse said:

Xbox hardware sales won't increase but the community playing Xbox games will. I mean, I don't own an Xbox console anymore and I'm still an Xbox user who's in the Xbox ecosystem so why should the Xbox ecosystem shrink when more people can play Xbox games? 

Sometimes I have the feeling it personally hurts you guys if more people can play the same games. You lose a console you need for your games, you don't lose the games. 

Should be pretty obvious that Gamepass is MS's main focus. That is where MS sees an healthy Xbox ecosystem even if millions won't buy an Xbox anymore because they get Gamepass through other ways or because they won't subscribe to Gamepass.

I really wouldnt mind playing these games on Playstation. Fine with me. Most of my friends are on Playstation so playing together would be cool. But how is Gamepass a main focus if this change of strategy happens? As far as I know, subscribers are stagnating and not enough. I fail to see how this will draw in more subscribers.

Would like to hear your opinion.

Well, I'm not working for MS so I don't know how they want to push Gamepass but that Gamepass is where they see Xbox's future should be clear or not? They release all their games on this platform, they mention that in every showcase and throw the word Gamepass on us like every 30 seconds...

Maybe MS hopes that more people will subscribe to Gamepass when they buy Xbox games on PS because you first need people to play your games before they will fall in love with them and realize how good Gamepass would be for them? No clue...

More revenue for the games you release will also help to develop more games for Gamepass. 

G2ThaUNiT said:
JRPGfan said:

Are you referring to the supposed Zenimax employee? Because I know that was confirmed as fake. I honestly haven't heard from any other sources though in terms of Xbox studios. Only other one I heard was Psychonauts 2 possibly coming to Switch from Tim Scafer on a podcast, but that game was already multiplat since launch. Once the original poster from XboxEra I believe it was started it, everyone started coming with their own "yeah I heard that too" statements. 

I don't think there's been anything from someone at Xbox just yet. Unless you count the Studios Operations Xbox guy liking tweets in support of multiplatform releases yesterday.

That guy's twitter is now privated lol. I assume it wasn't yesterday when Ryuu posted them unless he is one of the few followers. So yeah, that's some smoke.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9497087

G2ThaUNiT said:
JRPGfan said:

I cant remember, could be it was a zenimax employee.... but it wasn't like this was the first time said person was on the podcast claiming to be such a employee ect. Likely the dude was/is one.  He kinda of skirted around how to saying things, and couldn't say much... and was carefull in his wording.... however the matter still blew up.  Once that happend (it started getting attention), they deleted the video (probably because the guy asked them too).

This doesn't have to mean it was fake.  That guy could be afraid of loseing his job ect, and the deleted video and comments aftewards, could just be the others wanting to protect him. Like haveing a insider on a podcast, reguardless of how high up that person is, is something they probably value.