By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

You get happy Playstation and Nintendo users, but what does a Xbox owner get in return? Longer development cycles due to porting....

Xbox: Halo, Gears of War, Forza
Playstation: Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Gran Turismo, Last of Us, Spiderman

I'd rather have the 500 dollar box that has it all.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Zippy6 said:

Jeff Grubb just said MS won't talk about this until the end of this month. They can't possibly stay silent on this matter for that long... surely. lmao

Maybe the backlash is having an effect and they are starting to reconsider it and having more internal meetings. Supposedly that is why an Xbox employee leaked this, they wanted the fans to be aware of what the Microsoft execs were planning, in the hopes that the fan backlash would cause them to reverse course, much like when they tried to double the XBL Gold price back in January 2021, and then reversed course after the intense fan backlash. 

I think it is very unlikely they will reverse course though. It is not a simple pay rise but the entire future direction of the company hinges on this and it has clearly been in the works for many months. They also would be mad to not expect the backlash would happen, they must have known.

The worse hardware sales got and the more MS invested into software the more likely this scenario was going to happen. This quarter MS are again predicting Xbox hardware sales to decline YoY. It definitely seems like there is some internal struggle but I feel like the ones that have the real power are the ones pushing for this.

So the 1 gen I get an xbox they decide to just sort of give up.

PixelPirate said:

Morale is low. Klobrille on ResetEra:

"Friends.

I'll keep this short. This here has been my home from day one. I made friends here. And we had many intense discussions, both with disagreements and agreements. Just how it should be. While I saw many people here come and go, I tried to never forget where it all began. I learned so much here and I tried do give things back to this community, be it with hot takes, bad jokes or some visuals.

The baseline for being Klobrille always was the trust & credibility of the brand I support and my excitement for the path ahead. All of these three are at an all-time low right now. I've made the decision, depending on what's next or its scale, to take significant steps back and reduce the Klobrille persona, or eventually even retire it. It's a process that started last year already for me, I lack the excitement and energy for what's next, plus I'm shifting my focus to other, non-public things. You'll see when the time has come, but until then, this will likely be my last message here.

Much love. Thanks for everything. 💚

- Klobrille"

The sad part is that Phil spencer stated not a long time ago that he really appreciates Klobrilles work on twitter/X.   

shikamaru317 said:
Zippy6 said:

Jeff Grubb just said MS won't talk about this until the end of this month. They can't possibly stay silent on this matter for that long... surely. lmao

Maybe the backlash is having an effect and they are starting to reconsider it and having more internal meetings. Supposedly that is why an Xbox employee leaked this, they wanted the fans to be aware of what the Microsoft execs were planning, in the hopes that the fan backlash would cause them to reverse course, much like when they tried to double the XBL Gold price back in January 2021, and then reversed course after the intense fan backlash. 

It won’t matter because the heads and faces of Xbox are not in charge, Phil/Matt can say whatever they want but at the end of the day Amy and Tim can just say nope we are pivoting this way now and there will be no way to change that. 

They don’t care about optics or brand damage because they are just suits there to squeeze out as much money as they can and care less about the community.

Around the Network
PixelPirate said:

You get happy Playstation and Nintendo users, but what does a Xbox owner get in return? Longer development cycles due to porting....

MS is already putting games on PC, that's more challenging in a lot of ways than a PS5 port would be.

I doubt longer development cycles would be caused by supporting PS5. I could see some issues if there was some kind of mandate to support Switch. I could imagine a lot of issues from downporting.

the-pi-guy said:
PixelPirate said:

MS is already putting games on PC, that's more challenging in a lot of ways than a PS5 port would be.

I doubt longer development cycles would be caused by supporting PS5. I could see some issues if there was some kind of mandate to support Switch. I could imagine a lot of issues from downporting.

I am sure if all these rumors are true that by the time it matters the Switch 2 will be out and that is the Nintendo platform they will downport to and not the Switch. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

EpicRandy said:

I don't get what is supposed to be the "Damage" even if rumors turn out true.

I mean Xbox has already moved way past comparing hardware sales numbers to measure success, they did so the moment they decided to release all games on PC and then on Steam, and this move is only bad when you desperately hold off on the idea of comparing hardware unit sold as the measure of success.

MS Ips will be way stronger as a result and the Xbox hardware is doomed narrative is quite an extrapolation at this point.

Can you explain how this will be beneficial to Xbox hardware sales and especially the Xbox ecosystem?

Wouldn't it be better for a consumer to leave the Xbox ecosystem?  

konnichiwa said:
PixelPirate said:

For me it also isn't a huge problem, I just have a soft spot for Xbox Studio games, the ecosystem and some nostalgic reasons.

However, if all those games come to PS5, I will just play them on my Playstation. I get the benefit of having more third-party games, Playstation first party games, and also Xbox games on the same platform. No need in owning a Xbox anymore as I don't really use Gamepass. I'm definitely not buying games on my Series X anymore with this shitstorm brewing.

It is weird to think I maybe have bought the last Xbox games last week, it is also annoying to think that games will now even take longer to release because they need ports for other consoles. I would be so pissed tho, if the gears collection is just the Gears games for PS, because it basically means we even have to wait longer for the next gears game...

If they release games on multiple platforms, they can projected much higher profits, which means they can go on a hiring spree to greatly expand studios to speed up production so what you just described doesn't happen.

Dulfite said:
konnichiwa said:

It is weird to think I maybe have bought the last Xbox games last week, it is also annoying to think that games will now even take longer to release because they need ports for other consoles. I would be so pissed tho, if the gears collection is just the Gears games for PS, because it basically means we even have to wait longer for the next gears game...

If they release games on multiple platforms, they can projected much higher profits, which means they can go on a hiring spree to greatly expand studios to speed up production so what you just described doesn't happen.

No you believe they would have a hiring spree,   but we know that MS said that COD will also come to Switch(2) and we didn't see a hiring spree instead they litereally fired a ton of COD devs last week.