By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Oh lawd it's about to beat DOTA 2, Lmfao.

Around the Network

I wonder if we're watching the next big thing or if it'll be a flash in the pan. A lot of titles like this have these explosive launches but then quickly die, so it'll be very interesting to see how it holds up by next weekend, if it collapses, if it somewhat dips but stabilises or even if it exceeds its CCU for this weekend. The reviews paint it as a good product but like all games like this, they need a ton of post launch support to keep the players around and this has surely taken them by a massive surprise and they'll have to rapidly scale up.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 21 January 2024

WoodenPints said:

Ryuu96 said:

They would, even if it was 1st party only, but Valve ain't unreasonable, I think they could make it beneficial to both.

And lets be honest, if Microsoft could get Game Pass on PS/Switch, they absolutely would, so I think there's a way it works for Steam too.

Just don't believe Steam would allow a Game Pass with 3rd party too, that's sales being taken away from Steam.

Well you can already choose to completely cut Steam out of a game purchase and still leech all their bandwidth and features without giving them a penny so maybe they could work something out like we won't take 30% from Gamepass sub but how about you give us a bigger cut of purchases that come from Gamepass sub owners that choose to buy first party games on Steam I think Microsoft would comprise some things like that to get Gamepass going on Steam.

A bigger cut from purchases of MS games from people who already subbed and have those games for free? That sounds like an awful deal for Valve lol.

There are limits to Steam keys, Valve makes sure that your title is generating enough money for them on their platform before accepting requests for key generation to sell them on other stores. From the steam developers documentation:

"Games and applications launching on Steam may receive up to 5,000 Default Release Steam Keys to support retail activities and distribution on other stores. After that, all Steam Key requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. There is no guarantee that you will be provided additional keys."

"When reviewing Steam Key requests, some of the things we typically look at include the level of customer interest on Steam, the total number of keys that have been issued and activated for the game and the additional number that are being requested. A request will usually be rejected if there's an imbalance that suggests the developer is not making an offer to Steam customers that is comparable to what Steam Key purchasers are offered."

So you can cut Valve out of some purchases but only at their discretion. Basically they're going to make sure a good amount of your total purchases are through their store to get their cut.

Ryuu96 said:

I wonder if we're watching the next big thing or if it'll be a flash in the pan, a lot of titles like this have explosive launches but then quickly die, I'm so curious how it holds up next weekend, if it collapses, stabilises or even exceeds its CCU for this weekend. The reviews paint it as a good product but like all games like this, they need a ton of post-launch support to keep the playerbase around and this has surely taken them by a massive surprise and they'll likely have to rapidly scale up.

It will definitely fall fast in the coming weeks but they should be able to keep it around or above Ark levels of popularity if they don't screw up post-launch support.

Zippy6 said:
Ryuu96 said:

I wonder if we're watching the next big thing or if it'll be a flash in the pan, a lot of titles like this have explosive launches but then quickly die, I'm so curious how it holds up next weekend, if it collapses, stabilises or even exceeds its CCU for this weekend. The reviews paint it as a good product but like all games like this, they need a ton of post-launch support to keep the playerbase around and this has surely taken them by a massive surprise and they'll likely have to rapidly scale up.

It will definitely fall fast in the coming weeks but they should be able to keep it around or above Ark levels of popularity if they don't screw up post-launch support.

Yeah, I think next weekend will be quite a large dip but it seems like a good product which should be able to maintain a sizeable population, I think Ark levels is a nice target for them, it'll still be a big game with a healthy population. It seems a good product at its core but now it's all about post-launch support and they need to be ready for that.

I'd lmfao if it broke its CCU next weekend though, I've already doubted it once before.

Around the Network

Idas speculating that ABK Game Pass will drop before March 31st because MS/ABK has to deliver to the CMA their first annual report about the implementation of their remedies which is scheduled to be delivered by 31st March so likely the titles will arrive into Ubisoft Cloud before then which he thinks is also when MS will put them into Game Pass as well.

Ryuu96 said:

Can confirm that Nick was actually right about Vision's of Mana.

Also FFXVI was in Nate's *predictions* not a leak, but still.

Xbox and Square chumming up lately so it feels fairly obvious.

Great to see it. But anyway, XVI always seemed like a matter of time. FF VII R is more interesting to see whether it will be coming or not. It's been almost 4 years.

Ryuu96 said:

Another stat, Palworld is the 2nd biggest **paid** game by CCU ever, only beaten by PUBG which is F2P now but was paid when it hit that CCU.

The others above Palworld right now are all F2P and aside from PUBG always were F2P.

Counter Strike was also paid, not sure whether it hit it's current record before or after hitting F2P, but I think it still did 1m+ even when it was paid.

derpysquirtle64 said:

Ryuu96 said:

Another stat, Palworld is the 2nd biggest **paid** game by CCU ever, only beaten by PUBG which is F2P now but was paid when it hit that CCU.

The others above Palworld right now are all F2P and aside from PUBG always were F2P.

Counter Strike was also paid, not sure whether it hit it's current record before or after hitting F2P, but I think it still did 1m+ even when it was paid

Counterstrikes biggest peak before going f2p was 850k in June 2016.

@trunkswd We need more Palticles.