By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Small ask but I wish there was some sort of radio station for music and news in Starfield, I'm just trying to think of how it could work since FTL hasn't been invented in Starfield for travel or communications yet. Something like Fallout's radio stations. Your character having a set of pre-downloaded songs could work but that isn't really a radio station, Lol. The SSNN could only really work in worlds with major settlements.

They definitely have FTL in Starfield, the distances between some of the systems in Light Years are quite big, I know that in order to get the visit all systems achievement you have to build a ship capable of a 27 Light Year jump, which is the longest jump in the game between 2 systems. Your character obviously isn't spending like 108 years one way to travel to a single system (.25 light speed is the fastest you can safely go through conventional propulsion without experiencing significant relativity effects as I recall, and at 0.25 light speed a 27 light year jump becomes 108 years). Even just a jump from Sol to Alpha Centuari, one of the shortest jumps in Starfield, is like 4+ light years, which at 0.25 light speed would be a 12+ year journey one way. 

I don't think they have super fast FTL in Starfield, but they have to have FTL, it's the only way that the map size could work at all. Starfield FTL is likely a good bit slower than 24th century Star Trek Warp Drives, as known space by the TNG-VOY era of Trek is like 12,000+ light years across, with the Federation alone being 8,000 light years from one side to the other. 

True, it's still basically FTL. What I mean is more that the ship itself isn't moving at FTL speeds, it's folding space in front of you to make the distances shorter. Like if you had Point A in the corner of a cloth and Point B in the opposite corner then lifted it by the centre, Point A and Point B become closer together. This point I'm making doesn't really matter though, haha, as I believe a ship physically moving at FTL speeds is almost certainly technologically and scientifically impossible so it has to be either warp drives or wormholes.

But FTL comms is a whole different ball game and doesn't exist with the current technology level in Starfield.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 September 2023

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

―My impression of this showcase is that it's good that more and more Japan titles are coming out on Xbox, but as an Xbox fan, what I expect from Xbox is not to do the same thing as PlayStation and Nintendo, but to create Japan AAA titles like "Lost Odyssey" and "Blue Dragon" as Xbox. Will it be difficult to meet this expectation?

Phil Spencer: No, it's not. You can count on it. In fact, last year we released "Hi-Fi RUSH. It was a small title, not as big as "Blue Dragon," but it should have been of high quality. Japanese game creators are also within Microsoft Game Studios, and although some titles cannot be announced yet, we are also working with Japanese manufacturers to develop new games. The development environment is growing, including first and third parties, so we can expect to see more Japanese titles in the future.

Good fans are speaking up and not defending MS lack of effort so far.  Will see what happens..

Bought Resident Evil edition with Resident Evil Resistant/Res 2 and  RES3

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

They definitely have FTL in Starfield, the distances between some of the systems in Light Years are quite big, I know that in order to get the visit all systems achievement you have to build a ship capable of a 27 Light Year jump, which is the longest jump in the game between 2 systems. Your character obviously isn't spending like 108 years one way to travel to a single system (.25 light speed is the fastest you can safely go through conventional propulsion without experiencing significant relativity effects as I recall, and at 0.25 light speed a 27 light year jump becomes 108 years). Even just a jump from Sol to Alpha Centuari, one of the shortest jumps in Starfield, is like 4+ light years, which at 0.25 light speed would be a 12+ year journey one way. 

I don't think they have super fast FTL in Starfield, but they have to have FTL, it's the only way that the map size could work at all. Starfield FTL is likely a good bit slower than 24th century Star Trek Warp Drives, as known space by the TNG-VOY era of Trek is like 12,000+ light years across, with the Federation alone being 8,000 light years from one side to the other. 

True it's still basically FTL. What I meant more is that the ship itself isn't actually moving at FTL speeds, I believe how Todd described it, it's folding space in front of you to make the distances shorter, so like if you had point A in the corner of a table cloth and point B in the opposite corner of a table cloth then lifted it by the centre, point a and b become closer together. Doesn't really matter though because I don't believe there's any other way, a ship physically moving at FTL speeds is basically technologically and scientifically impossible so it has to be warp drives, wormholes, etc.

But FTL comms is a whole different ball game and doesn't exist with the current technology level in Starfield.

They should be capable of ship to ship FTL comms in Starfield, if you can open a wormhole large enough for a ship to travel through, you can easily open one tiny enough to send a communications signal through. However, you'd obviously need to know the fairly precise location of the ship you are communicating with, because your tiny comm wormhole would need to be opened within like a few minutes of distance from the ship you are communicating with, or else the signal would never reach them before they move away.

In theory though, a radio station could work by having a retransmitting communications buoy in orbit of every planet and moon, the radio station could open up a tiny wormhole to each planet and moon each day, and send a compressed data stream through to each buoy containing the entire day's radio broadcast from the previous day. Then those buoys would send the signal out as a typical slower than light radio wave broadcast, which could be picked up by ships that are traveling at slower than light speeds within the vicinity of each planet and moon, and then also sent down to radio towers on the surface of the planet via satellite communication so that you could also pick up the broadcasts on the surface. You'd be getting news a day late, but it would be better than no news at all. Or they could use the same principle but with a week of compressed data sent through the wormhole to each buoy instead of a day, if opening a wormhole to each comms buoy each day would be too expensive, but obviously the longer you make the window, the more out of date news broadcasts will be.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 September 2023

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

True it's still basically FTL. What I meant more is that the ship itself isn't actually moving at FTL speeds, I believe how Todd described it, it's folding space in front of you to make the distances shorter, so like if you had point A in the corner of a table cloth and point B in the opposite corner of a table cloth then lifted it by the centre, point a and b become closer together. Doesn't really matter though because I don't believe there's any other way, a ship physically moving at FTL speeds is basically technologically and scientifically impossible so it has to be warp drives, wormholes, etc.

They should be capable of ship to ship FTL comms in Starfield, if you can open a wormhole large enough for a ship to travel through, you can easily open one tiny enough to send a communications signal through. However, you'd obviously need to know the fairly precise location of the ship you are communicating with, because your tiny comm wormhole would need to be opened within like a few minutes of distance from the ship you are communicating with, or else the signal would never reach them before they move away.

In theory though, a radio station could work by having a retransmitting communications buoy in orbit of every planet and moon, the radio station could open up a tiny wormhole to each planet and moon each day, and send a compressed data stream through to each buoy containing the entire day's radio broadcast from the previous day. Then those buoys would send the signal out as a typical slower than light radio wave broadcast, which could be picked up by ships that are traveling at slower than light speeds within the vicinity of each planet and moon, and then also sent down to radio towers on the surface of the planet via satellite communication so that you could also pick up the broadcasts on the surface. You'd be getting news a day late, but it would be better than no news at all. Or they could use the same principle but with a week of compressed data sent through the wormhole to each buoy instead of a day, if opening a wormhole to each comms buoy each day would be too expensive, but obviously the longer you make the window, the more out of date news broadcasts will be.

This could work, a delayed news broadcast, I'd accept that and it wouldn't be far off from their current technological standpoint. Only issue is the believability in SSNN having a communications satellite orbiting every single planet in the galaxy At least though, I think it would be pretty nice to have a radio station when in New Atlantis, Akila, Neon and other colonies which have sizeable human populations.

Lmao.

Around the Network

Idk why but people were saying from the Geforce Now leak that Project Platinum is Indiana Jones but the Zenimax leak from the FTC files lists Platinum and Indiana Jones as separate so why did people think Platinum from the GFN leak was Indiana Jones? Is there any confirmation of that?

If so then that's weird...Only way it makes sense is if MachineGames are working on two Indiana Jones titles.

Ryuu96 said:

Idk why but people were saying from the Geforce Now leak that Project Platinum is Indiana Jones but the Zenimax leak from the FTC files lists Platinum and Indiana Jones as separate so why did people think Platinum from the GFN leak was Indiana Jones? Is there any confirmation of that?

If so then that's weird...Only way it makes sense is if MachineGames are working on two Indiana Jones titles.

Yeah, I very much doubt those are the same game, as I recall the GeForce Now leak had different release dates for both Indy and Platinum, as did this recent leak from the court docs.

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yeah, I very much doubt those are the same game, as I recall the GeForce Now leak had different release dates for both Indy and Platinum, as did this recent leak from the court docs.

Indy wasn't listed in the GeForce Now leak, only "Relic" and "Platinum" and Relic had a date of 2022.

Everyone for some reason when I look back at it is assuming Platinum was Indiana Jones...(?)

Could be wrong and Relic is Indiana Jones and Platinum is Wolfenstein, I'm just curious why people thought Platinum was Indiana Jones, if someone leaked that or something.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 September 2023

Yeah, I've found the original leak and Platinum is indeed listed as Indiana Jones.

2024-01-01Platinum (Indiana Jones)Machine GamesBethesda Softworks

Relic is listed as releasing before Platinum.

2022-12-06RelicMachine GamesBethesda Softworks

In the FTC leak.

Indiana Jones is listed as releasing before Platinum.

But GeForce Now says Platinum is Indiana Jones.

So assuming Relic is the codename for Indiana Jones, Relic is apparently releasing before Platinum, it matches with the GeForce Leak.

Therefore it's possible that Relic and Platinum are both Indiana Jones titles...

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Indy wasn't listed in the GeForce Now leak, only "Relic" and "Platinum" and Relic had a date of 2022.

Everyone for some reason when I look back at it is assuming Platinum was Indiana Jones...(?)

Could be wrong and Relic is Indiana Jones and Platinum is Wolfenstein, I'm just curious why people thought Platinum was Indiana Jones, if someone leaked that or something.

Everybody I know assumed Relic was Indy when the GeForce Now leak happened, because it just makes sense, Indy's whole thing is searching for archaeological relics. It also just makes more sense from a release date standpoint, Relic was releasing a year earlier in the GeForce Now leak, which matches with these court docs showing Indy releasing one year before Project Platinum.