By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

My goodness. NG+, Photo Mode, minimal bugs, and great graphics at launch?! What has MS done to Bethesda?!?!

Around the Network

Game development is unpredictable. The more ambitious you go, the more unpredictable it gets. With a galaxy the size of Starfield’s – some 100 stars and 1,000 planets – even seemingly minuscule changes to the game’s code can have vast consequences. This close to launch, the team treats every small bug (even ones you’d only notice when the game’s director acts them out for you in the middle of a packed restaurant) with the utmost caution.

2011’s The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the seventh best-selling video game of all time

As a result, the nerves are palpable. Production director Andrew Scharf uses his preschool kid’s portmanteau “scare-cited” to describe his mix of emotions. But there is pride more so. Eight hours playing Starfield shows why – the game is the team’s most polished, ambitious in scope and original in tone in recent memory. Lead animator Rick Vicens tells me that he’s ready to go.

Would you release it today?

“Fuck yeah.”

The game has taken eight years. Very few studios other than Rockstar, whose Red Dead Redemption II was in development for an identical period, get so much time to figure things out. “I thought we would find the answers faster,” Howard admits, explaining that Starfield only “clicked” into feeling fun to play as late as last year. One public delay (and several private ones) prolonged things further. “It's the game flow,” he says. “We whittle away on these lumps of clay, and make them better. But there’s a magic to that.”

Design director Emil Pagliarulo likens pre-production to “the land of milk and honey” compared to the harsh reality of making a game where entire new technologies had to be coded and designed from nothing. The team used real positional data from the Milky Way to structure the game’s Settled Systems – one day, Howard found a designer hanging balls from the ceiling of his office like a model galaxy. The massive world you explore has more dialogue than Skyrim and Fallout 4 combined, and its complex interlocking web of art and new tech (a major challenge for the team was how to generate an entire explorable planet) meant it was years before the game took any tangible shape. “When you’re making a lot of content, and you can't see the work on the screen, it’s really hard,” Howard says. He summarises imagining a universe from nothing, down to the mundane. “We had to concept art the trash cans.”

The game’s physical form is contrasted by its existential spirit. Pagliarulo, who’s responsible for overseeing all the writing and quest design, is a raised-Catholic Southie from Boston. “I swear to God, I’ve never reflected so much while making a game,” he says. He’s not been practising religiously for the longest time, but Starfield still push-pulled him from atheist to agnostic and back again throughout the development process. “Is there anything out there but blackness? We're tackling some pretty big themes that your average shooter probably doesn't get into,” he says. “It’s really affected me personally.”

It gives you the flexibility and options to carve out a unique identity, and even adds a unique and exciting twist on New Game+ to incentivise continued and repeat play.

Looking around inside the ship, Howard gets me to go into photo mode. “Zoom in on that a second,” he asks, pointing at one of the panels on the walls, “because this is where Istvan is a fucking genius.” Every knob, button and screen has minuscule hand-crafted icons and scripture. Howard is standing up now, arms outstretched in front of me. “That is mental!

Within 45 minutes I have 12 new quests leading me off-world. One has me smuggling contraband from the mining colony of Cydonia, on Mars, to gain the trust of the deadly Crimson Fleet. Smuggling is an entire subsection of the game, and Howard and Pagliarulo are particularly excited about the “Donnie Brasco vibe” of that questline. Another sends me to hunt space pirates in low gravity on the frozen plateaus of Europa. As I boost to huge heights using my rocket backpack, the combat has the responsive freneticism of something like Destiny rather than Fallout.

All the locations and cultures – from the military order of New Atlantis all the way to the cyberpunk underworld of the city of Neon – offer the broadest palette that BGS has ever painted. It took a long time to nail the variety of distinct flavours and storylines, inspired by all corners of the sci-fi genre, from Battlestar Galactica to Star Wars and even to Deadwood in space, but also keep it cohesive. “We have this ability to affect a player on both an emotional and intellectual level, and you're constantly deciding which one to do,” Pagliarulo says. “Go too far down the emotional path and it can get cringy. Go too far into the intellectual and it becomes too pointy-headed.”

The biggest mutation in the studio’s DNA is a new way of exploring. Because of the nature of spreading a universe across dozens of planets, exploration is both broader and more transient than the open-worlds of previous BGS games. Howard admits he’s not sure whether everyone will like the change in rhythm. “It’s not the same as dropping you in a world like Skyrim,” he says. “You wander totally differently.” But it’s in those moments of wandering where the game can be the most empty, and the most beautiful. All of the tech and art comes to fruition when I land on a distant world and step out of my ship. “I think that moment works almost every time,” Howard says, as a distant gas giant rises above the horizon. Every planet and moon in the game has its own time, orbiting their stars independently. “When you’re looking over the landscape and the star is setting. That’s all somewhat simulated. In this game it just happens.”

Howard has been at BGS almost three decades now – it’s the only place he’s ever worked. The studio is somewhat unusual in the world of video games. People just… don’t leave. The combined tenure of the seven people I speak to is well over a century. Browder, who has been here 18 years herself, recognises the cliché but compares it to family. This team has grown up together – kids’ parties and weddings.

“It’s weird for me,” Howard says, when I ask how he feels when he contemplates retiring, “but that’s a long, long way off.” He will likely be 60 years old by the time The Elder Scrolls VI comes out. Succession planning is kind of a constant thing. “I want to do it forever,” he continues. “I think the way I work will probably evolve, but… look at Miyamoto.” The Nintendo icon turned 71 this year. “He’s still doing it.”

For now, the team is still “checking under every rock” to get Starfield prepped for launch – fixing blinks. He has a mantra: great games are played, not made. So, they play it. Day in, day out. This year alone, Baldur’s Gate 3 and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom have offered wildly acclaimed and contrasting takes on the role-playing genre. Can Starfield push it forward in the same way? “I don't think about it in those terms," he says. “I think about it in our terms. How does it push our games forward? This takes it all to a level that we weren't sure even that we could do. This type of game is still unique. When it clicked, and we could play it, we realised we had missed it. No one still does this.”

I think it might be an age thing, but Howard is starting to see “this” differently. Essentially, he’s learning to love the making. “We don’t get many of these in our careers – we don’t get many shots,” he says. He used to work to get a game done – seeing it complete. That can be unhealthy. “How people are going to feel about the game can kinda tie you up. But then you realise how much we love it. We’ve got to find a way to enjoy and embrace it, so that we can look back and think, ‘That was good for us.’”

Toward the end of our time together, he tells me this process – of sitting down to talk about the game, how it’s affected his life, and the “can Starfield really deliver?” of it all – has forced him to be unusually reflective. But, in a comforting sort of way, it’s the same as it ever was. He casts back to 2008, when the team were in the midst of finishing Fallout 3. His family – Kim and his two young sons – were going on holiday without him. “My wife was saying goodbye to me,” he says. “It still sticks with me.”

What did she say?

“This game better be really good.”

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 August 2023

There's a story spoiler in that article, I didn't include it in my copy & paste but yeah, that is a spoiler in there, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 August 2023

VersusEvil said:
Angelus said:

lmao, I knew as soon as I posted that everyone was gonna reply with "yea, but Morrowind!"

This is what happens when you make dummy comments ;)

Name one thing I said that wasn't factually accurate

Another account that it's incredibly polished, that it is more like Oblivion than Skyrim and saying it feels more like Destiny than Fallout in combat.

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:

Another account that it's incredibly polished, that it is more like Oblivion than Skyrim and saying it feels more like Destiny than Fallout in combat.

There's no way Starfield is not a contender for GOTG.