By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Idas Said:

Submissions from MS/ABK and Nvidia in New Zealand about the Statement of Issues:

---

Microsoft is using Google's testimony (which was meant to help FTC) now to help them against New Zealand, haha.

4.11 Furthermore, [ ], in its testimony to the US District Court, 139 Google accepted that its cloud gaming service, Stadia, competed with consoles and PC distribution platforms. 140

They also mention that EC doesn't consider Cloud Gaming a market.

Cloud gaming is no more than a feature that provides an alternative means for gamers to access content on a device (i.e. they can purchase a physical disc, download or stream content). That is consistent with the findings of the EC, which has concluded on the basis of feedback from market participants, that the relevant market is an overall market for game distribution and that this market should not be segmented based on type of access (i.e. physical disc, downloading or streaming).

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 06 July 2023

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

The reaction to Xbox's TGS was very positive last year, shouldn't be too hard to continue that and they seem to be hyping up Gamescom a little too.

I cannot remember MS really having anything new to show for these later shows so not sure why anyone would get any hype for them.  It would be great if MS kept a few titles announcements for these later shows maybe one big one for each that would make anyone care but if anything it will probably be more videos of what they already announced.

Ryuu96 said:

Idas Said:

Submissions from MS/ABK and Nvidia in New Zealand about the Statement of Issues:

---

Microsoft is using Google's testimony (which was meant to help FTC) now to help them against New Zealand, haha.

4.11 Furthermore, [ ], in its testimony to the US District Court, 139 Google accepted that its cloud gaming service, Stadia, competed with consoles and PC distribution platforms. 140

Cloud gaming is no more than a feature that provides an alternative means for gamers to access content on a device (i.e. they can purchase a physical disc, download or stream content). That is consistent with the findings of the EC, which has concluded on the basis of feedback from market participants, that the relevant market is an overall market for game distribution and that this market should not be segmented based on type of access (i.e. physical disc, downloading or streaming).

When you think about it, can MS successfully defend their stance that Cloud gaming is just another distribution channel.  Lets take a look at the different services from Luna, PS+ and GP.  For PS+ and GP, they both provide download service to a device as well as streaming from a cloud service.  In both instances, you pay a sub price for a collection of games and have access to those games based on any distribution method you choice to use.

Luna on the other hand is also a subscription service but I do not believe it has a download option for the games.  Could it be said that only Luna is a true Cloud base service or would it just be considered another subscription service which would be the definition and that streaming is its only distribution of software.  I can definitely see MS successfully defending this angle in US courts but not sure how that goes with the CMA or New Zealand.

believe that CAT doesn't allow new evidence which is a shame because the FTC kind of provided quite a bit for Microsoft. CAT only determines whether CMA's decision at the time of making it met their standards and rules, using all evidence available to them at the time. But FTC's screw ups will help Microsoft with everyone else, as long as the judge doesn't grant the preliminary injunction, Lol.

Yeah, there is still a pretty good chance the Judge still grant the injunction but if she does, it would be interesting to note her detailed summary of why. It could be that the FTC can get the injunction but the burden of getting a block could still be very high. Either way it should be interesting to she how that shakes out. Hopefully we get aresult by the end of this week or early next week.

I tried to find some Vegas betting odds on the case because in Vegas you can pretty much bet on anything but was unsuccessful. I am willing to start the betting here on VG, giving 2 to 1 odds on FTC getting a block, any takers.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

Idas Said:

---

When you think about it, can MS successfully defend their stance that Cloud gaming is just another distribution channel.  Lets take a look at the different services from Luna, PS+ and GP.  For PS+ and GP, they both provide download service to a device as well as streaming from a cloud service.  In both instances, you pay a sub price for a collection of games and have access to those games based on any distribution method you choice to use.

Luna on the other hand is also a subscription service but I do not believe it has a download option for the games.  Could it be said that only Luna is a true Cloud base service or would it just be considered another subscription service which would be the definition and that streaming is its only distribution of software.  I can definitely see MS successfully defending this angle in US courts but not sure how that goes with the CMA or New Zealand.

I think it's more of a latter for Luna, it's a content library subscription service with streaming as the only distribution method enabled. I think the best way to look at things is to ask yourself what the customer of X wants of X. Luna's offering incentive comes predominantly from its content library, all tiers/channels are based on a different subset of content and not on service performance/resolution. Since they don't sell the actual service directly it means the cloud aspect is just a selling point of what is being sold which is: content library.

True/pure cloud streaming services are only the ones that are sold directly to you, Geforce Now, Boosteroid... It cannot be disputed customers of those services actually purchase based on the merits of the actual streaming service. Those are the only ones that have a critical incentive to innovate in that regard because they compete with their properties.

If you gave $1B to Luna and Geforce Now to invest in their offering, Geforce Now is going to use it to build a server and do R&D to reduce lag, latency, increase resolutions, better compression, etc... Luna is more than likely going to use it to predominantly add content to their subscription.

I did a thread exactly about this where I go more in depth.

Ryuu96 said:

This is going to be the song of the summer in Ireland such a banging tune! . Come post all the songs you guys think will be your Country's summer hits! (Nothing is beating Johnny not that im biased or anything just saying :P )