By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one that puts Sega above everybody in this website over the big 3?

I mean, since Sega abandoned the console wars, its software output has dried up immensly, even with them expanding their teams and making new IPs for PCs and such. It's not that they make bad games, it's that the amount of relevant software is simply not enough to get as much traction as the big platform holders. I see more discussion about Creative Assembly and Atlus than about Sega proper, and with good reason.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

No. I just talk about SEGA console era in depth elsewhere.

Last edited by Leynos - on 31 August 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Darwinianevolution said:

I mean, since Sega abandoned the console wars, its software output has dried up immensly, even with them expanding their teams and making new IPs for PCs and such. It's not that they make bad games, it's that the amount of relevant software is simply not enough to get as much traction as the big platform holders. I see more discussion about Creative Assembly and Atlus than about Sega proper, and with good reason.

That's exactly what I was thinking. You can add Sega leaving the arcade business, which even then, that doesn't hold much weight anymore anyway.

Relic Entertainment is another major developer under Sega that gets a lot of attention. I certainly do enjoy a lot of Sega's franchises. Jet Set Radio being my obvious favorite (see profile picture) which I am anxiously waiting to see what that revival Sega is currently working on will be like.

Sega does still make good games. Yakuza Like A Dragon was phenomenal, but nothing that really takes the gaming world by storm. At least not from what I see. Sonic is so hit and miss that I barely pay any attention to new releases lol. 

Sega during their console time was putting out absolute bangers! Especially their arcade games! 

gtotheunit91 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. You can add Sega leaving the arcade business, which even then, that doesn't hold much weight anymore anyway.

Relic Entertainment is another major developer under Sega that gets a lot of attention. I certainly do enjoy a lot of Sega's franchises. Jet Set Radio being my obvious favorite (see profile picture) which I am anxiously waiting to see what that revival Sega is currently working on will be like.

Sega does still make good games. Yakuza Like A Dragon was phenomenal, but nothing that really takes the gaming world by storm. At least not from what I see. Sonic is so hit and miss that I barely attention to new releases lol. 

Sega during their console time was putting out absolute bangers! 

Oh yeah, Relic is owned by Sega nowadays. They've done so little since 2012 I forgot about the sale. I miss their RTS...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

None of that interests me. Only modern SEGA stuff I like is Yakuza and Atlus RPGs

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Sega does still make good games. Yakuza Like A Dragon was phenomenal, but nothing that really takes the gaming world by storm. At least not from what I see. Sonic is so hit and miss that I barely attention to new releases lol. 

Sega during their console time was putting out absolute bangers! 

Oh yeah, Relic is owned by Sega nowadays. They've done so little since 2012 I forgot about the sale. I miss their RTS...

Age of Empires IV wasn't bad, but I'll be getting Company of Heroes 3 in November :)

SegaHeart said:

I like everybody in Vgchartz you guys are more Sega than that youtuber called Dreamcast Guy. Wish he also talked about Sakura wars on PS4 other things I haven't seen the guy excited for Sonic Frontiers or the Reboots?

Oh I'm stoked for the reboots of Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi! But at the same time very cautious because we still don't know what the hell this "super game" Sega keeps touting actually is and how the reboots are somehow connected to it.

Also, I really doubt Bomb Rush Cyberfunk is going to have any real damaging effects to the JSR reboot. It's an indie game going against a storied AAA gaming company with a massive budget going towards the JSR reboot. Killzone or Resistance vs Halo during the 2000s was Sony competing against Microsoft. A platform holder going against another platform holder. As long as Sega does JSR and Crazy Taxi right, they'll have massive success. 

I gotta respectfully disagree. Sega in their prime was epic but they've been on a downfall for who knows how long.

I hate Dreamcastguy