By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fragile Game franchises that are shelved or developers don't wanna give it anoter sequel, AKA the death blow

Massive game franchises like Halo and Final Fantasy series can make alot of duds looking at Halo 4 and Halo 5 and then make a great game like Halo Infinite but Non of them moved the Needle like Halo combat evolved and Halo 2 in introduced, Final Fantasy had a few duds like Final Fantasy 13 and 15 But it doesnt stop them Final Fantasy is just too big Final Fantasy 14 is amazing. now to the fragile Franchises Breath of Fire 3 on PS1 was great, Breath of Fire 5 on PS2 not great and Capcom gave it one more try Breath of Fire 6 was a viocously bad game it gave the Breath of Fire series a huge black eye they shelved it immediately and dont want to give the indifinte death blow . Parasite Eve 1 and 2 did great but the Sequel Parasite Eve the 3rd birthday on PSP made Square Enix Panic they Shelved Parasite Eve some Huge game franchise even though well known get shelved because they put alot of hard work and want to break more than even or little profit for such hard work sometimes selling 6 million is not enough looking at Tomb Raider series selling alot on Xbox One and PS4 but sold it even though I heard Rise of Tomb Raider made 5 million sales on Xbox One only alone it's the cost of those hard work and developers rather see huge profit than a small one.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network

Sonic the Hedgehog has like 40 duds mostly Sonic 06 Sonic Unleashed Sonic Boom Rise of Lyrics, ETC Sonic the Hedgehog IP is stronger If Sonic Frontiers was another IP and not Sonic it would Bomb like Valykyrie Chronicles 4, which we never heard of Valkyire Chronicles 5 even if 4 did great metacritic. It's risky Sega got alot of shelved IPS Glad they stopped at mainline Phantasy Star and went with Phantasy Star online series instead and not the heavy storied Main line series.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Cue the big list of Nintendo and Sega that haven't been revisited in more than 6/7 years ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Metroid prime is a fragile one. Nintendo doesn’t want to make it all that it could be.

Killer Instinct is probably on hiatus for a while. I have know clue if the last one was considered a financial success. Artistically it was everything I had hope for! But I doubt we’ll ever see another one.

Max Payne might have seen it’s last entry. It’s most recent game was really really good. But it probably didn’t connect with audiences.

Fable is most likely living on a thread. I don’t see us getting much from its future.

I'd like to see Valkyria Chronicles 5, but that series has always been rather iffy. I never expected that we'd see Valkyria Revolution and see that immediately followed up with 4. Last game sold over 1 million units across all platforms, which is actually better than I was afraid it would do. Meanwhile, its predecessor, Skies of Arcadia, was a one-and-done and hasn't even gotten a port to anything other than Dreamcast or Gamecube.

My most wanted Nintendo franchises are Kid Icarus and Mother. The former never appeared on a console after the first game, and it was almost 20 years between the Game Boy one and the 3DS one. Itoi said the Mother series was done with the third game, which was divisive in Japan and has never seen a release in the US. The fact that Nintendo lets the fan translation stand without taking legal action against it pretty much tells you it's probably never coming, unless Nintendo decides to use it to boost sales during a slump as they did with Earthbound on Wii U. I also remember when Fire Emblem was one game away from being cancelled for good.

My most wanted Capcom franchises are Breath of Fire and Bionic Commando.

I'd always wanted a proper Ultima game, but the shitty ninth game killed that series off, and EA put the nails in the coffin for Ultima by adapting it into a shitty mobile cash grab.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Cue the big list of Nintendo and Sega that haven't been revisited in more than 6/7 years ...

F zero

starfox

kid Icarus 

(someone help me out here)

snyps said:
Mar1217 said:

F zero

starfox

kid Icarus 

(someone help me out here)

Someone said but 

- Mother

- The Excite series 

- Nintendogs 

- Chibi Robot

- Custom Robo 

That's about it on top of my head for Nintendo and I'm not too familiar with Sega's old catalog.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909