By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Trek to Yomi Review - Just barely

Tagged games:

I love me some Japanese samurai era stuff. So naturally I gave Trek to Yomi a chance. But does this game do more than just scratch my itch?

Aaaaand of course here's the written version! Nope, no smartass remark, just a full written version: https://zyro-eg.com/2022/06/02/trek-to-yomi-review/



Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

Oof, I'm learning just how low the interest is in a lot of these indies on Game Pass. Not that I found this game a "must play", but I'm starting to feel like most Game Pass subs really DID only sub for the big budget AAA games lol



Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

I play it eventually, but it might later then sooner since I might buy Tiny Tina's Wonderlands in the deals unlocked sale. The next indie game I will play from Game Pass for sure is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge. Just finished Turnip Boy commits tax evasion on game pass another pretty good indie game would have been better if it didn't have a glitched achievement but the soundtrack for the game is amazing.



Chris Hu said:

I play it eventually, but it might later then sooner since I might buy Tiny Tina's Wonderlands in the deals unlocked sale. The next indie game I will play from Game Pass for sure is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge. Just finished Turnip Boy commits tax evasion on game pass another pretty good indie game would have been better if it didn't have a glitched achievement but the soundtrack for the game is amazing.

I just want Replaced so bad... Well, now I also want Cocoon so bad lol



Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
Chris Hu said:

I play it eventually, but it might later then sooner since I might buy Tiny Tina's Wonderlands in the deals unlocked sale. The next indie game I will play from Game Pass for sure is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge. Just finished Turnip Boy commits tax evasion on game pass another pretty good indie game would have been better if it didn't have a glitched achievement but the soundtrack for the game is amazing.

I just want Replaced so bad... Well, now I also want Cocoon so bad lol

Not familiar with any of those two games but I went ahead and bought Tiny Tina's Wonderland.  Also, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenges is very good even though I only played it for a bit so far.



Around the Network

Watched your review when you released it, and just played the game myself a few days ago. My thoughts:

Trek To Yomi

The Good

  • Simple but fun combat system
  • Mostly good storyline (character development on certain characters could be better)
  • Good soundtrack
  • Cool classic samurai movie aesthetic
  • Good JP voice acting

The Bad

  • Poor collectible design (missable collectibles, as certain paths block you off from going backwards and there is no real indication which path progresses the game forward and which is a side path with collectibles in many cases
  • No post-game mission select (this combines with the above to make collectible hunting a guide requiring chore, while also making it hard to replay to get the other 3 endings)
  • Poor English voice acting
  • Poor achievements (far too many achievements for beating bosses without taking damage, a 4-5 hour long playthrough only netted me 250 GS)
  • Some of the levels are too long, you reach a point where you just want to reach the end but the game keeps going and going
  • Poor puzzles which feel like filler

Score: 7/10 (if they were to patch in a proper post-game mission select with checkpoint select to make collectible hunting, ending collecting, and no damage boss retries easier, I would bump the score up quite alot to something 8+)



Chris Hu said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I just want Replaced so bad... Well, now I also want Cocoon so bad lol

Not familiar with any of those two games but I went ahead and bought Tiny Tina's Wonderland.  Also, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenges is very good even though I only played it for a bit so far.

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is WAYYY too short for the money, though.  I'm sure people can just keep replaying it with friends or something to level up the turtles and do multiple endings, but I had ZERO clue I'd finish that in a single live stream until my Twitch mod told me I was almost done at chapter 15, and there are only 16 chapters.  And chapter 16 is just a boss fight lol... While I had fun and played with randos, I just had no idea the fun would be THAT shortlived.

I hate to sound like an Xbox fanboy, but Game Pass definitely made TMNT:SR a better time considering it can be beaten in just two hours!

shikamaru317 said:

Watched your review when you released it, and just played the game myself a few days ago. My thoughts:

Trek To Yomi

The Good

  • Simple but fun combat system
  • Mostly good storyline (character development on certain characters could be better)
  • Good soundtrack
  • Cool classic samurai movie aesthetic
  • Good JP voice acting

The Bad

  • Poor collectible design (missable collectibles, as certain paths block you off from going backwards and there is no real indication which path progresses the game forward and which is a side path with collectibles in many cases
  • No post-game mission select (this combines with the above to make collectible hunting a guide requiring chore, while also making it hard to replay to get the other 3 endings)
  • Poor English voice acting
  • Poor achievements (far too many achievements for beating bosses without taking damage, a 4-5 hour long playthrough only netted me 250 GS)
  • Some of the levels are too long, you reach a point where you just want to reach the end but the game keeps going and going
  • Poor puzzles which feel like filler

Score: 7/10 (if they were to patch in a proper post-game mission select with checkpoint select to make collectible hunting, ending collecting, and no damage boss retries easier, I would bump the score up quite alot to something 8+)

You played it English? HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF?! lmao

I find it intriguing you mention the combat system as "simple": they give you a ton of moves and combos that are mostly useless in 95% of combat situations.  That seems to be our only real disagreement, though!



Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
Chris Hu said:

shikamaru317 said:

Watched your review when you released it, and just played the game myself a few days ago. My thoughts:

Trek To Yomi

The Good

  • Simple but fun combat system
  • Mostly good storyline (character development on certain characters could be better)
  • Good soundtrack
  • Cool classic samurai movie aesthetic
  • Good JP voice acting

The Bad

  • Poor collectible design (missable collectibles, as certain paths block you off from going backwards and there is no real indication which path progresses the game forward and which is a side path with collectibles in many cases
  • No post-game mission select (this combines with the above to make collectible hunting a guide requiring chore, while also making it hard to replay to get the other 3 endings)
  • Poor English voice acting
  • Poor achievements (far too many achievements for beating bosses without taking damage, a 4-5 hour long playthrough only netted me 250 GS)
  • Some of the levels are too long, you reach a point where you just want to reach the end but the game keeps going and going
  • Poor puzzles which feel like filler

Score: 7/10 (if they were to patch in a proper post-game mission select with checkpoint select to make collectible hunting, ending collecting, and no damage boss retries easier, I would bump the score up quite alot to something 8+)

You played it English? HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF?! lmao

I find it intriguing you mention the combat system as "simple": they give you a ton of moves and combos that are mostly useless in 95% of combat situations.  That seems to be our only real disagreement, though!

Nah, I started on JP, realized it was going to be hard to read subtitles during combat and exploration, switched to English, heard the British accents, and immediately switched back to JP voices for the rest of the game.

I mean that it it's simple in that you can defeat most of the enemies in the game with a simple parry and then counter attack or one of the easiest combos in the game. There are lots of combo options, they are just useless, I agree with you there.



ZyroXZ2 said:
Chris Hu said:

Not familiar with any of those two games but I went ahead and bought Tiny Tina's Wonderland.  Also, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenges is very good even though I only played it for a bit so far.

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is WAYYY too short for the money, though.  I'm sure people can just keep replaying it with friends or something to level up the turtles and do multiple endings, but I had ZERO clue I'd finish that in a single live stream until my Twitch mod told me I was almost done at chapter 15, and there are only 16 chapters.  And chapter 16 is just a boss fight lol... While I had fun and played with randos, I just had no idea the fun would be THAT shortlived.

I hate to sound like an Xbox fanboy, but Game Pass definitely made TMNT:SR a better time considering it can be beaten in just two hours!

Well, totally agree with you, games that are relatively short and cost over $20 dollars are better played on Game Pass unless you have a whole lot of disposable income.