By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumour: EA Has Been Looking to Sell or Merge

Hmm really no mention of MS or Sony deals. Is that factual there are no talks or are those potential deals unknown perhaps? Probably depends on who's looking to acquire or merge. Those larger corporations, including MS (though after the AB deal is complete), very well could buy EA and just might want a buyout, but someone like Sony if interested, would likely prefer or require a merger since they may not be able to, or justify a buyout. Sony supposedly has a big deal that their keeping quiet about, but this seems big enough to be a long shot. MS also has been hinting that the AB deal has been moving along quickly, which they would want if they are in a bidding war to acquire EA.

Around the Network

Wouldn't mind any of those listed getting it and honestly wouldn't want Sony spending so much money on that or MS to get even more control over gaming. Hopefully one of those 4 gets it

I am Iron Man

Please no Disney, I’d like my Star Wars games away from EA, not being owned by the same company.

I just hope it isn't Disney or Amazon.. they seem to ruin everything they touch.. media wise. It would be horrible if Apple got them too, urgh.

Not sure what big conglomerate would be good fit for EA.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if true, there's a lot of uncertainity in EA's future.

For decades, FIFA Soccer has been a huge, constant and realiable source of money for EA. This could change in 2023. The current EA-FIFA deal ends after FIFA 23 and no agreement to extend it was reached. In terms of content, there shouldn't be a big difference. EA has many deals with leagues, teams, etc. However, it'll lose the FIFA brand, so its name will be EA Football whatever 24 or something like that. Marketing-wise, this could be huge.

There's more than that. Of course the FIFA won't just sit there doing nothing and not earning money. They'll try to find a new partner to make FIFA games. If they succeed, EA's 2024 football game will not only lose the FIFA brand, it'll also have to compete with a football name sporting the FIFA name on its cover.

Around the Network

No mention of Tencent, Embracer Group, or the Sauid Prince talking it over so far.

I really wonder what the state of the videogame industry really is if most major publishers are selling themselves. Do they know something that we don't?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

the-pi-guy said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I really wonder what the state of the videogame industry really is if most major publishers are selling themselves. Do they know something that we don't?

Frankly there are tons of factors:

- gaming was particularly huge during covid, and gaming is a huge industry and that isn't changing. 

- high inflation means that companies have incentive to acquire assets and part with devaluing cash. 

- services like Gamepass, require a lot of content. As found by Netflix, at some point it starts making more sense to make content in house. 

- higher competition is pushing other buyers to spring into action. This is pushing prices higher, and increases incentive for sellers.

This is not an exhaustive list. There's also an issue that Chinese publishers have been desperately expanding into other markets because the market is having government troubles in China. Which in turn has been increasing demand for buying publisher. 

I get publishers wanting to buy, but I don't get piblishers wanting to sell. There have been too many big sales (and many other imminent ones) of major publishers to be just a result of inflation and gamepass-like services.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

A buyout probably wouldn't be the worst outcome... If the new owners push for quality over quantity and brings back old, dead franchises that have been forgotten to time.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

axumblade said:

Quick. Someone buy EA and then shut them down! It’ll be the ultimate justice for what they have done with so many studios.

Not before they've done another Mass Effect trilogy. And maybe a new mainline Dead Space entry. After that though..