By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I just backed my first game on kickstarter

Spells and secrets

To me this game looks like the offspring of the games hades and the binding of Isaac if they conceived while watching Harry Potter 

The game is a "rouge light", described by the development team as a more accessible/easier version of hades, and for someone like me that loves pokemon mystery dungeon, sounds like a win in my book

https://www.rokaplay.com/spells-secrets

Spells and secrets places you, a young sorcerer, into the castle of Greifenstein where a peculiar incident has left the castle reeling, it is now up to you to use your spells to uncover the secrets

(Quote from the main site)

Spells & Secrets” is a 3D action adventure game with puzzle mechanics and procedural elements that offers a magical sandbox for you to explore. Get ready to discover a wide range of unique spells, powerful artifacts and useful potions.

(End quote)

The game is scheduled for release on PC via Steam and nintendo switch via the kindness of nintendo :V

Developer: Alchemist Interactive (based in Düsseldor, Germany), rokaplay (based in Darmstadt, Germany)

Release Date: Early Access in Summer 2022, full release 2023

Plattforms: Steam (PC), Nintendo Switch

Regular Price: tba

The game is still available to back on kickstarter as of today; May 1st 2022, but the canpain is ending on May 10th

I think the game looks interesting, and am definitely looking forward to playing it

View the trailer below

https://youtu.be/BGVKENqHRtg

Around the Network

Generally speaking, i think backing games on Kickstarter is a bad idea. Many fail to deliver anywhere close to on time or on budget, and many others are outright vaporware.

It's a nice idea, but over promising and under delivering has become so common that it has tarnished the whole field of game crowdfunding.

I've had decent, though not flawless, experiences with kickstarters. Honestly they aren't a bad idea, we just need to keep in mind that things do change and that sometimes errors occur. The real question is how do they handle it.

I mean Yooka Laylee didn't have the best landing, but Playtonic seems to have taken far better lessons from it than Mn9 did.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

I understand its a risk
But I want to believe, and if I called it wrong, I have that experience for next time.

I backed the game because it looks fun and am fully aware of the risks involved.
It does look like the devs have had a few successful campaigns so I gave it a shot

Kneetos said:

I understand its a risk
But I want to believe, and if I called it wrong, I have that experience for next time.

I backed the game because it looks fun and am fully aware of the risks involved.
It does look like the devs have had a few successful campaigns so I gave it a shot

It should be looked upon as speculative investment into ones gaming future and nothing more, while I have not used Kickstarter I was one of the first gamers to invest in the making of Path of Exile by  pre purchasing a tier that included a physical copy of the game and some other stuff to help fund the game and was very happy with that decision. also did something similar with Grim Dawn but that was digital and through Steam early access but also a good decision , so not every Kickstarter type game is like Star citizen, but in my limited involvement your chances improve if like both the games I mentioned the people behind them are enthusiasts interested in the genre rather than how much they can rake in selling premium crap. 

Last edited by mjk45 - on 01 May 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

I've had some successes on Kickstarter, but mostly it either drags on and you forget about it or they go quiet and never deliver. I see it more as investing in someone else's dream, encouraging them to make it happen. Not expecting anything in return.

Last time I backed something was in 2017 though, 17 pledges in total. 10 delivered, played 5 of them, 1 keeps crashing on my laptop, 1 was too much to handle for my old laptop but should work now (just haven't got to it to try again). 7 never delivered. The one I only pledged $10 to was the best of the lot (The Way) although Elite Dangerous was also awesome.

No need to use Kickstarter anymore, buying games at release is practically the same now lol.