By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Ryuu96 said:

Is anyone in this thread having issues with loading it on mobile? Does it kick you back to the top of the page?

Do you prefer tweets embedded like I usually do, or the above?

I know some of you don't have Twitter accounts though, so that's a problem with the above, and of course no videos embedded.

Yes, but only on my old ipad. Not on my new mobile.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Means I'll have to stop embedding tweets in fucking Xbox thread too 😭

Christ what a POS this site is.

Held together by duct tape and spit 

S.Peelman said:
Ryuu96 said:

I'm pretty sure it's a memory thing. The error and reloading can happen on any thread for me, even the front page on occasion, but it does happen more often and quicker in threads that have a lot going on, like this one. I figure loading lots of twitter feeds requires a lot of data, which is too much for my poor phone.

As for your new way of posting, I guess it could help, but it is a lot less clear.

How'd we go about fixing that from a coder standpoint?

And for what I could do, would one tweet per post relieve the stress on memory? Though...That would mean me posting like 30 posts in a row sometimes, Lol. Maybe I could experiment with 1, 2, 3 tweets per post, see if it stops things, although I imagine for those on 100 PPP it would make no difference, I'm on 10.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 26 July 2024

Russian leader of defense company fails to find an open window to accidentally fall out of, instead tries to burn himself in Red Square. Reminds me of those telepathic soldiers from Command and Conquer. Bro didn't have to game over, but he's playing under Putin's severe paranoia which is common in parkinson's patients.

https://x.com/nexta_tv/status/1816838207708733864

Russia is having some crazy inflation right now. Inflation is normally about 3% per year on average, however according to the WSJ, Russia has had a 9% increase just this month. You can see the 9% part at the bottom where the text in link. Now, Russia is going to have to slow this down by raising interest rates and slowing the economy down, and people are going to be out of work because of that. I keep talking about oil prices and pain, but the economic pain will be felt as soon as russia's hot economy has to cool off. They'll get higher unemployment, reduced income, yadda yadda yadda. Putin will probably be very unpopular soon.

https://www.wsj.com/world/russia/putin-russia-runaway-inflation-9e9fb3bd

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Ha. I think I'm posting tweets correctly, but they only load if someone else posted a tweet on the same page.

I can see yours (before you changed to links) but when I post them in the Gaza thread they never load. And when I post multiple tweets in one post I have to edit and repost to stop the page from screwing up or skipping most the content.

Plus a lot of twitter links have changed from twitter.com to x.com which this site doesn't recognize! Got to manually change the link each time.

Twitter links suck anyway, it takes a long time for a page with lots of tweets to finish loading and each time one loads the whole page shifts again. Maybe I should just take screenshots of tweets and post those lol.

shavenferret said:

Russia is having some crazy inflation right now. Inflation is normally about 3% per year on average, however according to the WSJ, Russia has had a 9% increase just this month. You can see the 9% part at the bottom where the text in link. Now, Russia is going to have to slow this down by raising interest rates and slowing the economy down, and people are going to be out of work because of that. I keep talking about oil prices and pain, but the economic pain will be felt as soon as russia's hot economy has to cool off. They'll get higher unemployment, reduced income, yadda yadda yadda. Putin will probably be very unpopular soon.

Russia can't do that. You can't slow down a war economy without slowing down the production of weapons, something the Russian army can't afford. In other words, Russia is heading straight into an hyperinflation at this rate, as they don't have any foreign reserves anymore to prop up their currency (that's what they used over the last 2 years so they could claim "hey, see, the sanctions don't work, they make us even stronger, could as well remove them then." The only thing they can do is sell war bonds, but with an impoverished population there's not much to gain from those bonds in Russia...

Ryuu96 said:

Is anyone in this thread having issues with loading it on mobile? Does it kick you back to the top of the page?

Do you prefer tweets embedded like I usually do, or the above?

I know some of you don't have Twitter accounts though, so that's a problem with the above, and of course no videos embedded.

Is there a problem with older phones?

I have no problems on my Android 14 phone with only 6gb of RAM, even on pages with lots of embedded Twitter posts (using Kiwi browser which is based on Chrome).

So I would prefer the embedded way since it makes it easier to find the last posts I read versus just a bunch of generic green text and also I won't have to constantly open new tabs.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
shavenferret said:

Russia can't do that. You can't slow down a war economy without slowing down the production of weapons, something the Russian army can't afford. In other words, Russia is heading straight into an hyperinflation at this rate, as they don't have any foreign reserves anymore to prop up their currency (that's what they used over the last 2 years so they could claim "hey, see, the sanctions don't work, they make us even stronger, could as well remove them then." The only thing they can do is sell war bonds, but with an impoverished population there's not much to gain from those bonds in Russia...

hmmm, a few things on this.   You're giving me the ability to give some better context because I didn't mention the war part at all.  But yeah, the upcoming slowdown won't affect the war production at all.  The Russian govt is still going to be putting the orders in for the weapons, the slowdown won't mean jack and/or squat to the war factories like you're saying.  They will also be raising interest rates shortly if that hasn't happened yet.  And the economy is going to hell as it's more and more about war production as all of these tanks and artillery systems are going to get blown up.  So, my point is that they aren't keeping the wealth in something that will stay in russia, it's going to be sent to ukraine to be blown up or just stationed somewhere.  Even the soldeirs who are getting nice bonuses will spend a large part of their pay on vices-- drugs vodka ciggarettes as a way to deal with existential stress.  So while it looks good because of the high govt spending, it really isn't good at all.  Putin is getting worried, no doubt about it. 

Last edited by shavenferret - on 27 July 2024

Spoiler!