By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

I saw this link in the article of the last post. For anyone wanting some dark humor, here is a list of prominent Russians who have bit the big one after falling from a window

https://www.newsweek.com/full-list-russians-fall-windows-putin-ukraine-war-1781790

Around the Network
shavenferret said:

Ukraine is developing its own missles

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/zelensky-ukraine-is-approaching-the-use-of-ukrainian-made-missiles/

I actually thought that they never stopped. After all, Ukraine has it's own space launch vehicles, and were developing the Grom and Neptune, so I thought they were pursuing it with even greater urgency considering the imperatives of the war.

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I'm seeing a lot of news articles and even YT recommendations now on russia's equipment shortages. If Russia is running short of tanks and IFVs then what will take up the slack? I guess infantry and artillery. Losses for both have been up lately. But if this gets even worse for Russia then we might start seeing Russian losses of 1500 troops per day as opposed to the 1200 or so daily casualties that they have now.

shavenferret said:

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I'm seeing a lot of news articles and even YT recommendations now on russia's equipment shortages. If Russia is running short of tanks and IFVs then what will take up the slack? I guess infantry and artillery. Losses for both have been up lately. But if this gets even worse for Russia then we might start seeing Russian losses of 1500 troops per day as opposed to the 1200 or so daily casualties that they have now.

My guess their first point of call will be to try and buy tanks and APCs from Iran and North Korea. Otherwise they y well try to increase artillery and glide bomb usage to make up for a lack of vehicles. Even so, the estimates still didn’t think Russia would run out of usable vehicles until sometime next year, and they’ll likely scrape the bottom of the barrel first. They may even pull some out of museums.

SecondWar said:
shavenferret said:

My guess their first point of call will be to try and buy tanks and APCs from Iran and North Korea. Otherwise they y well try to increase artillery and glide bomb usage to make up for a lack of vehicles. Even so, the estimates still didn’t think Russia would run out of usable vehicles until sometime next year, and they’ll likely scrape the bottom of the barrel first. They may even pull some out of museums.

Russia is also seriously running low on artillery pieces, having to resort to reactivate artillery systems that had been first built in the 1930's(!). This also means that they have a whopping 8 different artillery calibers in active service right now, which is a logistical nightmare to say the least.

The reason here however ain't Ukrainian attacks - Artillery barrels wear out quite fast through continuous usage, and Russia simply can't keep up in producing replacement barrels for those cannons. Or in other words: The higher their artillery advantage is right now, the faster they'll run out of them. Especially true if they continue to rely on North Korean shells, whose lower production standards result in higher wear on the artillery barrels.

Around the Network

Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.), a contender to be Vice President Kamala Harris’ running mate, tore into Republican Vice President nominee Sen. JD Vance on Wednesday, saying Vance would “abandon” Ukraine in favor of Russia.

“It’s pretty clear to me you’ve got JD Vance who wants to totally abandon Ukraine, and you’ve got Donald Trump who has been in the past rather pro-Russia and leaned in with Vladimir Putin in ways I would never expect the president to do,” Kelly said in a brief interview with POLITICO. “So again, we have a serious choice to make, and I’d be really concerned about what those guys would do to abandon an ally in favor of an adversary. And that would be a much more dangerous world.”

As a senior Senate Armed Services Committee member and former Navy pilot, Kelly has been a staunch advocate for Ukraine and has taken a hands-on role on the issue of training Ukrainian F-16 pilots at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in his home state. Vance, a Marine Corps veteran, is a vocal opponent of Ukraine aid, saying it’s prolonging a bloody war Kyiv cannot win.

Sen. Mark Kelly, a Harris veep contender, rips into JD Vance on Ukraine - Live Updates - POLITICO