By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Hungary will seek to opt out of any NATO operations aimed at supporting Ukraine, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said Friday, suggesting that the military alliance and the European Union were moving toward a more direct conflict with Russia.

Orbán told state radio that Hungary opposes a plan NATO is weighing to provide more predictable military support to Ukraine in coming years to repel Moscow’s full-scale invasion, as better armed Russian troops assert control on the battlefield.

“We do not approve of this, nor do we want to participate in financial or arms support (for Ukraine), even within the framework of NATO,” Orbán said, adding that Hungary has taken a position as a “nonparticipant” in any potential NATO operations to assist Kyiv.

“We’ve got to redefine our position within the military alliance, and our lawyers and officers are working on ... how Hungary can exist as a NATO member while not participating in NATO actions outside of its territory,” he said.

Hungary Will Seek To Opt Out Of NATO Efforts To Support Ukraine, Orbán Says | AP News

Here you go Orban: Withdrawal From NATO - Wikipedia

Also: Withdrawal From The European Union - Wikipedia

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 May 2024

Around the Network

NATO chief Stoltenberg has balls!!!.....Ryu, what say you ???

BFR said:

Makes me laugh how many people I argue with in the West who believe that America is in sole control of NATO and America are "warmongers" trying to get war with Russia, those people don't understand what NATO is at all. Why I bring this up is I believe Jens has always been a pretty adamant supporter of Ukraine and often demanded more of NATO countries (America included).

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
BFR said:

Makes me laugh how many people I argue with in the West who believe that America is in sole control of NATO and America are "warmongers" trying to get war with Russia, those people don't understand what NATO is at all. Why I bring this up is I believe Jens has always been a pretty adamant supporter of Ukraine and often demanded more of NATO countries (America included).

Agreed. And let me add, that as an American citizen, living in the State of New Hampshire, I don't want to see war waged with my USA against Russia, hell, Ukraine is giving them more than they can handle.

Last edited by BFR - on 24 May 2024

BFR said:

Unfortunatey, that is just typical politician's noise within the EU.

It goes like this:

<Random EU politician>: Hmmm, I wasn't in the news for days/weeks

"Hey Putin, if you continue to do these things, we will collectively call you out and raise our fingers a little more. LEt that be a stern warning".

<Random EU politician> "Wow I told him! And I was in the news. Mission accomplished".

Notice the only European countries really active are GB (no longer in the EU) and the Baltic States (next in the list of Putin). And you can't toss out Hungary of the EU/Nato because 24 hours later the Russians would open a "friendship" military base in Hungary.

Ryuu96 said:

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Hungary will seek to opt out of any NATO operations aimed at supporting Ukraine, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said Friday, suggesting that the military alliance and the European Union were moving toward a more direct conflict with Russia.

Orbán told state radio that Hungary opposes a plan NATO is weighing to provide more predictable military support to Ukraine in coming years to repel Moscow’s full-scale invasion, as better armed Russian troops assert control on the battlefield.

“We do not approve of this, nor do we want to participate in financial or arms support (for Ukraine), even within the framework of NATO,” Orbán said, adding that Hungary has taken a position as a “nonparticipant” in any potential NATO operations to assist Kyiv.

“We’ve got to redefine our position within the military alliance, and our lawyers and officers are working on ... how Hungary can exist as a NATO member while not participating in NATO actions outside of its territory,” he said.

Hungary Will Seek To Opt Out Of NATO Efforts To Support Ukraine, Orbán Says | AP News

Here you go Orban: Withdrawal From NATO - Wikipedia

Also: Withdrawal From The European Union - Wikipedia

Agree withdraw and then let them suffer on their own if they ever get in trouble