By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

The world needs to stop being spineless and start supporting Ukraine far more than they have.
Ukraine has been requesting our outdated M1A1 Abrams tanks from Australia... And my government has been coy.

We don't even need tanks at the moment, Australia is impossible to invade and control, plus we need to refresh our fleet with modern technology... We aren't a part of NATO, so we need to rely on ourselves a little bit more, but we could do with some more heavy industry getting back to production to make up for that shortfall.

The USA is being even more spineless, mostly in part due to Trump and the Republicans.
Women, children and innocent people are being killed, have been killed, Ukraine should have all it's needs met without question.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Ukraine lost another M1 Abrams in the Avdiivka area, it hit a mine and the tracks came off so it had to be abandoned.

Bradley is quite the capable vehicle though, I'm pretty impressed by what I've seen from it.

The German officers believe it would take 10 to 20 Taurus missiles to bypass Russian air defences and destroy the bridge in an aircraft operation.

German Air Force Chief Reveals Secret UK Operations in Ukraine

That's all? Shame we can't combine Storm Shadow's stealth with Taurus bridge busting capabilities.

Also, I'm pleased to report that the UK still hasn't been nuked and yet another Russian redline was bullshit.

Germany will participate in the procurement of the Czech-located artillery ammunition. The German MoD told ARD that they want to participate in the financing and cover a “significant part” of the total costs. Talks on this are at a very advanced stage.

It is not yet known how much money Germany will provide and what type of ammunition — 122mm or 155mm — will be financed.

Just one day before the Czech President's announcement, Olaf Scholz announced that Germany would buy 120,000 122mm artillery shells and deliver them to Ukraine this year — presumably for a three-digit million sum.

France has arguably the most powerful military in Europe, this list definitely doesn't show that to be the case, I am not impressed, even more when I see Macron constantly trying to make France look like the "leader" of Europe. France's contributions as a GDP % puts them at rank #28 amongst military contributors. It's simply nowhere near good enough.

30,000 155mm - Lol...

Around the Network

“We are talking about that possibility, and we are doing this quite openly. There are a lot of nuances about what could happen and under what conditions,” he told reporters on Tuesday. “Ammunition is the main instrument that is needed today and that was needed yesterday, but everything is on the table.”

His comment followed French President Emmanuel Macron’s recent statement that the possibility of sending Western troops to Ukraine in the future is not ruled out.

Lithuanian Defence Minister Arvydas Anušauskas also spoke about the possibility of NATO troops going to Ukraine for training purposes earlier on Tuesday. In his words, Lithuania currently has a mandate to pool a training mission for Ukrainians, and Lithuanian troops are training Ukrainians in the UK, Germany, and Lithuania.

Sending Lithuanian Troops to Training Missions in Ukraine Possible – Adviser - LRT

Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia

Emmanuel Macron's statement that he could consider sending troops to Ukraine shows that the importance of Ukraine's victory has reached Western decision-makers and there is a willingness to do more, writes Margus Tsahkna.

It is actions and results that count, not words. We must be bolder in our actions, because Russia's wishes have not changed. If Russia is victorious, it will not stop in Ukraine and will next knock on NATO's door to reshape Europe's security architecture. There is nothing less at stake and no more than our freedom.

It is clear that, although there is currently no political consensus on the issue of sending soldiers to Ukraine, this may change the attitude of some countries towards immediate military assistance to Ukraine, as this would certainly be an easier solution than direct intervention. Importantly, on the issue of ammunition, the principle that it must come only from the European defence industry was abandoned.

Margus Tsahkna: Emmanuel Macron Shifted the Paradigm of Supporting Ukraine | Opinion | ERR

Estonia: Nothing off the Table

Estonian Prime Minister Kaja Kallas stated that “everything” is on the table to support Ukraine’s victory over Putin and highlighted the need for private discussions on all options. Her remarks were in response to French President Emmanuel Macron’s hint at potentially sending ground troops to assist Kyiv, which had previously sparked a backlash from allied governments, prompting quick clarifications that troop deployment was not imminent.

On 27 February, Gen. Onno Eichelsheim, Chief of Defence of the Netherlands, stated that it is “not yet opportune” for the Netherlands to discuss sending soldiers to Ukraine. Nevertheless, he emphasized the need to keep all options open to best support Ukraine.

Eichelsheim highlighted that any Western military involvement in Ukraine would likely require a coalition, involving either NATO or an alliance of 10 to 15 countries. He emphasized that such a decision would be political, and it would be unusual for just one or two countries to take such action.

Canada Open to Sending Non-Combat Troops to Ukraine as Instructors; More Countries Support Non-Combat Missions - Euromaidan Press

So Lithuania, Estonia, Canada and the Netherlands haven't outright ruled it out but said it's not currently being done. Just do it, especially if it is true that UK has troops in there helping Ukraine operate Storm Shadow, Lol. If we're being honest though, nobody is going to move ahead with this unless both Germany and USA are involved.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 04 March 2024

Betting the real reason is cause it's a piece of shit and they don't want to be embarrassed.

Not the first time I've seen these sorts of odd articles from NYT.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 04 March 2024

Ryuu96 said:

France has arguably the most powerful military in Europe, this list definitely doesn't show that to be the case, I am not impressed, even more when I see Macron constantly trying to make France look like the "leader" of Europe. France's contributions as a GDP % puts them at rank #28 amongst military contributors. It's simply nowhere near good enough.

30,000 155mm - Lol...

At least they are ramping up support lately, and one reason why they are so far down the list in terms of GDP % is that they are neither sending any tanks of F-16, both of which are an order of magnitude more expensive than most equipment they're sending.

But the amount of artillery shells is an absolute disgrace. That's what, 1000 shot per cannon? France would have chewed through that in a matter of hours in 1916. 250 VAB and 30 CAESAR are nice and very helpful for Ukraine, but simply not enough, especially with such a low amount of shells coming with them.

Ryuu96 said:

Betting the real reason is cause it's a piece of shit and they don't want to be embarrassed.

It's not just the T-14 that's MIA, it's all their fancy new equipment around the T-14 and on the same platform that's missing, too. No T-15 Armata, no Kurganets-25, no BMOP Terminator-3, no BMP-7928 K-16 Bumerang, no VPK-7928 K-17 Bumerang...

I think it's because they only got a handful of them before the sanctions cut them off from critical parts, thus stopping production in it's tracks. In other words, for Russia they are way too high value to lose them Ukraine before they exhausted their stocks of upgraded soviet vehicles.