By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Just to clear some misconceptions regarding Tucker Carlson:
He is not conservative, he is a fascist.
He is not a western journalist, he is an eastern journalist.

Around the Network

Eesh, a bit concerning but I'll try to keep an open mind, I've heard conflicting things in the past about him no doubt, I've both heard he is respected by some but hated by others, I've heard he has a bit of a Soviet era fighting mentality because he served under the Soviet Union once and graduated from Moscow Higher Combined Arms Command School.

He was involved in the cooperation with NATO though even long before the war and pushed changes to the Ukrainian army to align with NATO standards but I'm fearful of the Soviet tactics he may still have inside of him. He did lead the defence of Kyiv at the start of the war, he also commanded the Kharkhiv counteroffensive, but then others criticise him for how long he held onto Bakhmut.

Can't lie and say I have no fears about his Soviet thinking/strictness but maybe he'll turn out to be the best choice.

It'll be telling to see how Ukraine's tactics change, Zaluzhny reportedly wanted to mobilise hundreds of thousands more troops in 2024 but does Syrsky agree? Will Syrsky plan another counteroffensive in 2024 or will he make the troops holdout until 2025? Of course I know nothing like these guys do but I feel like Ukraine can't even go on the offensive until America sorts it shit.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 February 2024

Although the general is one of the most trusted people in Ukraine, thanks to his key role in blunting the initial Russian attack almost two years ago and is seen as a potential political rival to Zelenskyy, there’s a lot less patience with him in parts of the Ukrainian military. He has also had his tensions with Washington, after he and U.S. military leaders differed over how to conduct last year’s counteroffensive.

“I think it is long overdue,” one person close to Zelenskyy’s office said about what appears to be the forthcoming change in leadership.

A senior Ukrainian military officer, who like others in this story was granted anonymity to speak frankly, said that there has been frustration building among the upper ranks of the military that Zaluzhny spends “a lot of time on Facebook showing off how he is doing something,” while little changes tactically or strategically along the front lines.

“The army has fought amazingly under Zaluzhny but he has been poorly supported by the government and parliament,” said Glen Grant, a former British officer and a military expert with the Riga-based Baltic Security Foundation, pointing to tensions over a stalled mobilization law that Zaluzhny wants to boost troop numbers but which is politically dangerous.

Zaluzhny has also come under fire for not completing the Ukrainian military's transformation into a Western-style force, not improving logistics and failing to rotate troops away from the frontline to allow them to rest and recuperate rather than leaving them in trenches for the whole war, said Austrian military analyst Tom Cooper.

"After two years since the all-out invasion, none of these is working really well, and improvements observed so far remain relatively minimal," he said.

Grant did point to some management issues, although it’s not certain who bears the blame.

"Some of the weakest generals have been kept and better ones left idle. It is not clear whose fault this is," he said, but then added: "Zaluzhny is the best motivator. What he misses in skills and management knowledge he makes up for in character."

Relations between Zelenskyy and Zaluzhny have been tense for months over the disappointing 2023 counteroffensive. It was launched in the summer — months after some at the Pentagon and elsewhere thought it should have begun. 

Some U.S. and Western advisers recommended larger, more tightly targeted assaults on specific positions which would thrust Ukrainian mass against weaker sections of the well-entrenched Russian lines.

There was also tension between Zaluzhny and the Pentagon over how the counteroffensive was to be waged.

The Pentagon pushed for the Ukrainian military to make a major thrust focused on one area where planners thought a breakthrough was possible. Instead, Kyiv chose several assaults across the front in the belief that would make it difficult for the Russians to reinforce many points at once. 

After weeks of disagreements, “it became pretty clear over the course of the offensive that Ukrainians just weren't interested in U.S. advice, and they generally concluded that we have nothing to offer them advice-wise,” said one person who has advised the White House on military matters.

The argument, the adviser said, was that the United States didn’t have experience fighting the kind of war the Ukrainians were fighting, and while U.S. advice was welcomed, it could also be tone-deaf. 

In the coming months, as Ukraine is now forced on the defensive, the current “war of attrition is a very, very bad choice for Ukraine,” the Ukrainian officer said.

Rather, Ukraine should adopt an “asymmetric” approach, the officer said, that focuses on defense and industrial targets inside Russia “to break them, instead of this meat grinder” — something that in the long run favors Russia and its larger population and deeper stocks of equipment and armor. 

In November, Zaluzhny told the Economist that the war had settled into a stalemate, drawing a sharp rebuke from Zelenskyy and his advisers.

Zaluzhny’s essay forced Zelenskyy to scramble to reassure partners the war hadn’t hit a dead end.

Ukraine’s top general runs out of road both in Kyiv and in Washington – POLITICO

Today, I made the decision to renew the leadership of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

I am grateful to General Zaluzhnyi for two years of defense. I appreciate every victory we have achieved together, thanks to all the Ukrainian warriors who are heroically carrying this war on their shoulders. We candidly discussed issues in the army that require change. Urgent change.

I proposed to General Zaluzhnyi that we further remain together on the Ukrainian state team. I will be grateful for his acceptance of this proposal.

Starting today, a new management team will take over leadership of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. I had dozens of conversations with commanders at various levels. I spoke, in particular, with brigade generals Andriy Hnatov, Mykhailo Drapatyi, and Ihor Skybiuk, as well as colonels Pavlo Palisa and Vadym Sukharevskyi.

They are all being considered for army leadership positions, and they will be led by Ukraine's most experienced commander. He has successful defensive experience, particularly in the Kyiv defense operation. He also has successful offensive experience, particularly in the Kharkiv liberation operation. I appointed Colonel-General Oleksandr Syrskyi as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

This is not about surnames, and surely not about politics. This is about our army system, about the management of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, and about involving the experience of this war’s combat-hardened commanders.

2024 can become successful for Ukraine only through effective changes in the basis of our defense, which is the Armed Forces of Ukraine. We are all proud of our army and we must do everything in our power to ensure that the Ukrainian army becomes a victorious army.

Around the Network

Senate advances Israel, Ukraine, Taiwan aid bill

The Senate has advanced legislation that will send assistance to the militaries of Israel and Ukraine, as well as provide aid to Taiwan.

The legislation cleared the 60-vote threshold necessary to get around a filibuster, with 67 votes in favor, and 32 opposed.

---

32 opposed is too much, but at least that's one barrier down, now onto House and Johnson...

Where would I find which Senators voted for it and which didn't?

Wait...They have to vote for it AGAIN? Why? Good Lord.

Vinther1991 said:

Just to clear some misconceptions regarding Tucker Carlson:
He is not conservative, he is a fascist.
He is not a western journalist, he is an eastern journalist.

Small error here, he's neither a western journalist nor a eastern journalist, he's a manchild posing as a journalist. I mean, even his bosses admit he's no journalist at all.